hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New euro comp

I fear it's only a matter of time before the biggest teams from each of the "major" football leagues in Europe break away to form a televised sponsored league competition. Gate money for the big clubs is only a minor earner for them The current European cup competitions and individual leagues and national trophies will then become irrelevant. It's all about the money.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I wonder what the general feeling around europe is to the champs league. Anyone i speak to or even read on here, apathy towards it is really creeping in, it definitely is with me.

Like previously posted, the old format would be good i reckon. Champions league gets more presitge from it actually being the champions. Bring back the UEFA cup,just one big knock out tourney with some amazing teams in it. Would get way more interest in it than current europa league. Then the cup winners cup, you could have bala town vs AC Milan for example...mental, but also a beautiful thing and for me what football is meant to be about, shot at glory, Roy of the Rovers stuff and all that..

Newer isnt always better.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can (just) remember the days when there was only 1 team allowed in from each city. IIRC, one year Clyde finished 3rd in the league behind Celtic (who qualified for the European Cup) and Rangers (Fairs Cup). It must have been the year Aberdeen won the cup. 67?

Anyhoo, because of this bizarre rule, Clyde weren't allowed to enter. It may have been us who benefitted.

Going further back, it was originally designed for "cities" (not teams) who had held a fair.... hence the name. IIRC, one year London entered a combined team. Burntisland weren't allowed, as they're not a city.
    More likely Dunfermlines cup wins, maybe 68 when they battered Hertz? Interesting though, Clyde in Europe. Morton made the Fairs Cup in the 60s too though, played Chelsea I think and Greenock is a good 30 miles west of the nearest city.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    More likely Dunfermlines cup wins, maybe 68 when they battered Hertz? Interesting though, Clyde in Europe. Morton made the Fairs Cup in the 60s too though, played Chelsea I think and Greenock is a good 30 miles west of the nearest city.
    Just checked this.

Clyde were 3rd in the league in 67. Celtic won everything. Aberdeen went into the CWC as beaten finalists. Rangers the Fairs Cup as runners up in the league.

Clyde argued that they were from Rutherglen, not Glasgow. UEFA told them to beat it as they competed in the Glasgow Cup. It looks as if Hibs benefited from that,... presumably, we got Clyde's place. That was the season we beat Napoli.

Morton were in the Fairs Cup in 68.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 12-09-2018 at 06:48 AM.

Another thing, Tuesday and Wednesday are Champions League nights, Thursday is Europa League, where will this new one fit in? Monday or Friday? Either way is going to be a challenge to domestic schedules, as playing the weekend would be out completely.

The EL is already a big prize / TV money drop from the CL, if this new one was even a noticeable drop from the EL, combined with having to move however many weekend domestic kick offs for the duration of involvement, it may not end up being all that profitable an endeavour for a club like Hibs...

First Team Breakthrough
    I loved being involved in qualifiers and thought it wound help be sharper for the start of the season. It’s actually hampered us through injuries. And not let us settle

I can (just) remember the days when there was only 1 team allowed in from each city. IIRC, one year Clyde finished 3rd in the league behind Celtic (who qualified for the European Cup) and Rangers (Fairs Cup). It must have been the year Aberdeen won the cup. 67?

Anyhoo, because of this bizarre rule, Clyde weren't allowed to enter. It may have been us who benefitted.

Going further back, it was originally designed for "cities" (not teams) who had held a fair.... hence the name. IIRC, one year London entered a combined team. Burntisland weren't allowed, as they're not a city.
    When Newcastle won it in the 60's they had finished 10th in the league
    But all the teams above them were from London etc

Just checked this.

Clyde were 3rd in the league in 67. Celtic won everything. Aberdeen went into the CWC as beaten finalists. Rangers the Fairs Cup as runners up in the league.

Clyde argued that they were from Rutherglen, not Glasgow. UEFA told them to beat it as they competed in the Glasgow Cup. It looks as if Hibs benefited from that,... presumably, we got Clyde's place. That was the season we beat Napoli.

Morton were in the Fairs Cup in 68.

It was our old pals Dundee that benefitted though, after finishing 1967 below us in the league and enjoying a campaign that endid getting emptied in the semi by Leeds who had already beaten us and the Huns.
    And in 68 we had four clubs in the Fairs, Hibs, Morton (6th) Rangers and Aberdeen. Heady times.

It was our old pals Dundee that benefitted though, after finishing 1967 below us in the league and enjoying a campaign that endid getting emptied in the semi by Leeds who had already beaten us and the Huns.
    And in 68 we had four clubs in the Fairs, Hibs, Morton (6th) Rangers and Aberdeen. Heady times.
    Cool.

I do remember that Leeds tour of Scotland. Hadn't realised it was that year.

This one will test you. There was one season... possibly 66... where either Dunfermline or Hearts went to a 3rd game against Zaragoza. As it turned out, Zaragoza won... But, if the result had gone the other way, Hearts and Dunfermline would have met in the next round.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 12-09-2018 at 04:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    All for this as long as it doesn't dilute Scottish teams in the Champions League and Europa League i.e. it is a competition extended to teams finishing in 4th and 5th place in the league.

Will mean more revenue for our teams, more European away days and something new for teams like Hibs.

The gap between the richest leagues and Scotland is so massive now that our teams will never win the two current competitions again, but still important we are at least involved for the profile of our game.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    All for this as long as it doesn't dilute Scottish teams in the Champions League and Europa League i.e. it is a competition extended to teams finishing in 4th and 5th place in the league.

Will mean more revenue for our teams, more European away days and something new for teams like Hibs.

The gap between the richest leagues and Scotland is so massive now that our teams will never win the two current competitions again, but still important we are at least involved for the profile of our game.
    If they're scaling down the Europa then it's probably bad news for Hibs getting there. Probably end up with Celtic in the champions league, rangers in Europa, and then 2 teams in Euro3. Hopefully the tournament is received well and has decent prize money to make it worthwhile. The flip side being that we should be more likely to progress further in this one if we get there.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...mpetition-2021

The Europa League will be reduced to 32 teams, with the new tournament also being 32.

My suspicion is, that this will move the EL into line with the Champions League ambition; as many big clubs in European competition, playing other big clubs as possible. Lower ranked teams will find themselves in this new Cup, alongside clubs who get knocked out of Europa League qualifying. Hell, maybe even clubs getting knocked out of the Champions League could cascade down through the Europa League into this new one.

I'd hazard a guess that our league would end up with one CL, one EL then all our other European places would be into this new one, which presumably will have even lower TV / prize money. Basically a 'hey, you still have European football!' excuse to exclude the less profitable sides / nations from gatecrashing the top table.
    This would be my suspicion too. Basically a way of consolidating and perpetuating the power and wealth of the big clubs and getting the wee teams permanently out of the way. Hope I’m wrong.

Where there is cash there is demand

Cool.

I do remember that Leeds tour of Scotland. Hadn't realised it was that year.

This one will test you. There was one season... possibly 66... where either Dunfermline or Hearts went to a 3rd game against Zaragoza. As it turned out, Zaragoza won... But, if the result had gone the other way, Hearts and Dunfermline would have met in the next round.
    Nae idea! I'll look it up though as I'm looking to start collecting Scottish Club programmes in Europe from the 60s and very rewarding it is too.

Edit. 65/66 Zaragoza beat Hearts and then Dunfermline next round. Hibs appear to have been in the same tournament, same season, losing to Valencia. Curious that. And we played a round earlier than either of those two.
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 13-09-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Nae idea! I'll look it up though as I'm looking to start collecting Scottish Club programmes in Europe from the 60s and very rewarding it is too.

Edit. 65/66 Zaragoza beat Hearts and then Dunfermline next round. Hibs appear to have been in the same tournament, same season, losing to Valencia. Curious that. And we played a round earlier than either of those two.
    My Uncle had the Valencia programme on his bedroom wall. No idea if it's still about.

Do you have it?

My Uncle had the Valencia programme on his bedroom wall. No idea if it's still about.

Do you have it?

I do. My Hibs euro homes are complete with the exception of the Barcelona postponed issue....

I do. My Hibs euro homes are complete with the exception of the Barcelona postponed issue....
    So you stole it from him??? You got his Real Madrid one as well?

So you stole it from him??? You got his Real Madrid one as well?

Got a spare of that if he wants it back.