hibs.net Messageboard

Threaded View

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Best transitions in music

This is inspired by the Two-Part Songs thread,

Lots of songs follow the same model verse-chorus-verse-chorus- something different -chorus or ABABCB. The ‘something different’ bit can be in a changed key or even a changed time signature, and there’s something about the way it resolves itself to lead back into the final chorus that the human ear and brain respond to, it feels natural and right.

There are probably tons of examples but the one that sparked this was ‘Made of Stone’ by the Stone Roses. You get a couple of verses and choruses and then John Squire does his squiggly solo thing and then you get the eight-bar transition, which is essentially Mani and Reni bashing out the same progression on bass and drums that they did on the solo while Squire plays four solitary notes, each two bars long. This takes the music back to the right place to launch into the final chorus and it makes perfect, beautiful sense to the ear.

Any other shining examples?

The other one that I could think of, off the top of my head was The Doors “Light My Fire” full length version where you get ABAB then the keyboard and guitar go off on an oodling venture for five or ten minutes before it comes crashing back to the intro riff to anchor it for a a last verse and chorus.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 09-09-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars