hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    During the summer Gala Fairydean Rovers pitch was packed quite a few times with kids playing in what were clearly well organised football events, with more than one of the coaches having Hibs gear on, so I presume we were involved. I think kids do want to play, but for some reason we just aren't turning that enthusiasm into talent.

What bugged me about last night ( and I only saw what was laughably billed as 'the highlights' ) wasn't the way Belgium kept the ball from us for embarrassingly long spells, they are a great team and that was to be expected. No, what boiled my wee wee was our utter inability to construct a move or retain possession on the few occasions we did manage to get the ball off them, apart from in the last 10 minutes or so by which time it didn't really matter. McGinn is taking some flak for losing the ball for their first goal and it has to be said that his touch ( on that occasion ) was a poor one. But even in my walking football team our keeper gets stick if he plays the ball up the middle to a player being pressed by opposition forwards, Craig Gordon should have known better and IMO he dropped SJM right in it.

All but one of their goals was caused by extremely poor passing and decision making by Scotland players … these guys are supposed to be professional players and IMO there's no excuse for such poor play under little pressure, by the time a player gets to the level these guys are at there is absolutely no defence for an inability to play a bread and butter 30 yard pass, to realise you cant play the ball to a guy under pressure right in front of your box and that when you are effectively last man its not a good idea to try and beat one of the worlds best midfielders one on one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    There should be a 'B' Euros and World Cup for the smaller nations/those not good enough to play in the main event. It would be a competitive way for Scotland to develop and gain some confidence against sides more on our level. Not much to be gained by mis-matches like last night.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    The main downside to not qualifying for 20 years is the of finance received.
    N.Ireland got around £7m for the 2016 Euros. Imagine what Scotland could do with with that sort of money, even if we’d qualified for a few in the last 20 years or so
    How many indoor football pitches could we have built/employed more coaches

Left by mutual consent!
    The Scottish national team has always been mince.

Easier to qualify for tournaments back in the day and even then they would get punted out with ease

Testimonial Due
    We've just had one of the best summers in years, and yet every time I went round the park with my dogs, I never once seen a game of football, crossy or attack and defence?
    The biggest problem today is parents who allow there kids to sit at video consols as it makes it easier to know where they are and safe!
    In my day I was out playing football from morning till night at the Meadows, and when it was dark, I would play crossy at the Usher Hall under the street lights.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The main downside to not qualifying for 20 years is the of finance received.
    N.Ireland got around £7m for the 2016 Euros. Imagine what Scotland could do with with that sort of money, even if we’d qualified for a few in the last 20 years or so
    How many indoor football pitches could we have built/employed more coaches
    They have had plenty of money over the years and continually show they cannot spend it wisley. If the SFA was a private company it would have been bust years ago due to complete incompetence. If they were a public body the government would have sent in a task force to take over the running of such a clearly failing organisation.

They seem to be accountable to nobody? Actually who are they accountable to?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    They have had plenty of money over the years and continually show they cannot spend it wisley. If the SFA was a private company it would have been bust years ago due to complete incompetence. If they were a public body the government would have sent in a task force to take over the running of such a clearly failing organisation.

Accountable to the member clubs. Any monies made go back to football clubs.
    Probably one of the things that holds them back, too many committees. Hope the new CEO shakes it up

Accountable to the member clubs. Any monies made go back to football clubs.
    Probably one of the things that holds them back, too many committees. Hope the new CEO shakes it up
    He’s been in post for over 4 months now and we haven’t heard a peep from him. I’m not holding out much hope that he is going to shake anything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It's not just football, as a sporting nation, Scotland are very much in the doldrums. Both the numbers participating and the general standards of play have declined alarmingly in the last 15 or so years.

Testimonial Due
    Just heard on TV how far were behind, tomorrow night has highlights of woman's Club football in England on the BBC and it may be on longer than Sportscene?????

I still think we’ll come good in this campaign. Lots of good young players around just now. Up to McLeish to mould them into a team
    Will take a 1-0 on Monday

I still think we’ll come good in this campaign. Lots of good young players around just now. Up to McLeish to mould them into a team
    There are some good young players coming through but they are a long way from being able to play international football. We can sometime be guilty of over hyping our players. Last night on Sportsound I was listening to the panel before the game talking about how lucky Scotland were that we had two world class goalkeepers. Now I think that both Gordon and McGregor are fine keepers but in nobody outside of Scotland considers either of them to be world class. Pretty sure both were free transfers or close to it. There was no dissenting voice on the whole panel.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post

They spent a fortune revamping Hampden when that money should have been invest d in facilities and coaches across the country. There’s plenty of stadia of differing sizes to host Scotland matches. Hampden was a total waste of money in my opinion

Jesus, what on Earth makes you think we will come good ? We have just been utterly pumped by an under strength side who didn’t even get out of third gear, we are managed by a dinosaur who whored himself around for every job going for a year and got his current job by default because he was the cheap option and wasn’t even quoted until O’Neill told the SFA to take their pennies offer elsewhere and who managed to excite the fans so much that the national stadium was half full with one of the best teams in the world on show!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    They spent a fortune revamping Hampden when that money should have been invest d in facilities and coaches across the country. There’s plenty of stadia of differing sizes to host Scotland matches. Hampden was a total waste of money in my opinion
    Amazingly they are thinking of doing all again. 20 years away from major tournaments and the SFA are thinking of spending what little money we do have in property development rather than investing in grassroots coaches and facilities.
    Well seen Petrie is so high up in the SFA. Infrastructure first, team a very distant 2nd.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Investing in sport facilities is essential in a country like Spain. Almost every new housing development has a new track, field or club house

built by the developer as a condition of the planning application approval. They have the weather too, of course.

I truly believe that many young people are not particularly interested in football here. They see it as sectarian and crusty. Why spend £25 sitting in the cold?

Education is the end game for those with any aspirations.

The strange thing is that there is a demand for good football for those that look for it eg look at the outstanding attendances at ER and Tynie. We have half a dozen multi

national cap holders - when have we ever had that?

Perhaps we just have to accept that Scottish football is no longer insular and go with the flow.
    It would be brilliant if councils started making developers build a football pitch when they put up new housing estates.

Easiest way to get kids playing football is to give them somewhere to play.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Regular
    [QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;5545247]Everyone laughed at Strachan but looking at both teams lining up before kick off our team looked like midgets in comparison?? Aye take a look at hibs midfield and there current forward one.

[QUOTE=Tarrahib;5545453]
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Everyone laughed at Strachan but looking at both teams lining up before kick off our team looked like midgets in comparison?? Aye take a look at hibs midfield and there current forward one.
    It’s not the heightthat is the problem, it’s the technical deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    We've just had one of the best summers in years, and yet every time I went round the park with my dogs, I never once seen a game of football, crossy or attack and defence?
    The biggest problem today is parents who allow there kids to sit at video consols as it makes it easier to know where they are and safe!
    In my day I was out playing football from morning till night at the Meadows, and when it was dark, I would play crossy at the Usher Hall under the street lights.
    They might not be playing football, but our kids are excelling at other sports. The commonwealth games were proof of that.

So, I don’t believe that kids are just sitting playing games consoles.

They’re now just keen on other sports and not just football.

I'm just listening to Andy Roxburgh talking about this subject, on a twenty minute monologue on radio Scotland. It's all repeating the same tired clichés and stating the bleeding obvious; we need to invest in the youth systems, coaching excellence, Mourinho said Scottish coaching is great once so it must be fine, blah blah blah.

The problem is these erses like Roxburgh PRESIDED over the failure over decades. It's like asking Stalin why people got sent to the salt mines. He was blethering on about how hewatched Iniesta at Spain as a 9 year old and knew he was going to be special, fine, well done. The trick is to bother yourself to find out why and how these players developed like that and spend the money to do it in Scotland. The useless blazers at Troon just didn't bother themselves to do it. If we want real change we need to start by getting rid of the people at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Did the SFA spend a fortune on Hampden?Don’t think so.It was Queens Park.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It would be brilliant if councils started making developers build a football pitch when they put up new housing estates.

In Edinburgh it tends to be the other way round. The Council give the developers a few football pitches to build on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Did the SFA spend a fortune on Hampden?Don’t think so.It was Queens Park.
    On the understanding that the SFA would pay them enough rent over 25 years to cover it and also that maintenance would be the responsibility of the SFA.
    It was a terrible deal for the SFA.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The big question for me-and has been for a number of years-is why can we compete successfully and not look out of place against the best European teams at various age grade levels with players who have mainly come through the SFA system and yet as these players move through pro football they do not develop or even disappear.Strikes me that youth coaching is one of the better parts of the SFA.
    I've always felt that success has been because of our preference for the physical aspect of the game (even at youth level) whilst other nations use that level as the perfect opportunity for youngsters to hone their technical skills; in preparation for their career to come.
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 08-09-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    In Edinburgh it tends to be the other way round. The Council give the developers a few football pitches to build on.
    It’s not so much pitches we are short of, it’s coaches and people willing to set up clubs that we are short of. There are pitches available for anyone that does that.
    It can be quite hard to get a young 8-10 year old into a club. Most of them are over subscribed and have a waiting list.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Did anybody seriously think anything other than a total humping was on the cards for yesterday's game?

Belgium were genuine contenders for winning the World Cup this year. Scotland haven't qualified for any final for 20 years.
    I think you’re missing the point the OP is making.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Fed up hearing this BS that there is nowhere to play. Tell you what, its a decent night, take a trip to your local park, Leith links, Lochend park, Meadows whatever. Tell me how many kids are out playing football. They are all deserted, **** all to do with lack of facilities.

Makes me laugh when people blame computers.

Do other counties not had the internet / mobiles / computer games ?

Fifa is actually a quite good learning tool for players.

The men’s game is run by dinosaurs and too many dinosaurs still involved.

I’ve been on various coaching courses and some of the stuff being taught is rubbish and they will give anyone a Coaching badge to say we qualified C amount of coaches this year.

You don’t want to put up barriers but there should be more help after these coaches have taken these qualifications - not just CPD.

The whole game in Scotland needs a fresh start and that includes the clowns on the radio and several ex pros who get jobs at academies coaching the next generation of talent.

We produce some good players at youth level but between about 14 onwards they are given bad advice / Coaching / realesed from clubs with no support.

The golden ages to Coach are really young but I’ve seen enough good players at 14 but many don’t progress like they should.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Fed up hearing this BS that there is nowhere to play. Tell you what, its a decent night, take a trip to your local park, Leith links, Lochend park, Meadows whatever. Tell me how many kids are out playing football. They are all deserted, **** all to do with lack of facilities.
    So true / plenty of parks.

You don’t need a 3G pitch to be good..

Though Winter you would probably need indoor.

@hibs.net private member
    Not read all of the thread so apologies if this has been said already but my twopence worth

Scottish football declined when we lost confidence in ourselves. We went in to a state of national mourning of Diana Spencer proportions after the World Cup of 1978 and never recovered our pride or belief. Until we get those back we will never get back amongst the big boys. I genuinely believe we need another Ally MacLeod. Need to get the swagger back