hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane

Roy Keane

Watched the excellent Off Off The Ball interview last night with Keane and Gary Neville. Really enjoyed it. I know he's a divisive character but was wondering what peoples general opinion of him was? For me he was an inspirational captain and leader as a player and the only pundit down south I'll listen to seriously along with Souness. Don't think Man United would have had the same success without him. Interesting to hear he wants another crack at management. All hypothetical but would anyone take him at Hibs? If we thought Lennon was box office Keane would be off the scale. Patchy managerial record though.
    Last edited by Since452; 11-09-2019 at 03:18 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watched the excellent Off Off The Ball interview last night with Keane and Gary Neville. Really enjoyed it. I know he's a divisive character but was wondering what peoples general opinion of him was? For me he was an inspirational captain and leader as a player and the only pundit down south I'll listen to seriously along with Souness. Interesting to hear he wants another crack at management. All hypothetical but would anyone take him at Hibs? If we thought Lennon was box office Keane would be off the scale. Patchy managerial record though.
    Is there a link to that or which channel was it on?

Don't like him never have never will. I appreciate he wont care I wish him no ill will good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Is there a link to that or which channel was it on?
    https://youtu.be/6_yckmKqazEP not sure if that'll work

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Watched the excellent Off Off The Ball interview last night with Keane and Gary Neville. Really enjoyed it. I know he's a divisive character but was wondering what peoples general opinion of him was? For me he was an inspirational captain and leader as a player and the only pundit down south I'll listen to seriously along with Souness. Interesting to hear he wants another crack at management. All hypothetical but would anyone take him at Hibs? If we thought Lennon was box office Keane would be off the scale. Patchy managerial record though.
    I watched it and it was certainly interesting. Keane's very up and down with me. Sometimes I think he's an utter moaning git and a bit of a parody of a hardman then there's other times when I'm nodding my head in agreement and think he's some sort of oracle to the lack of edge/softness throughout football nowadays.

I doubt it would work out at Hibs. His standards would be too much for the comfy world of Scottish football and we would end up with another Collins situation in my opinion.

The facts are that the players have all the power in the game nowadays and Keane when he gets nasty would cause all sorts of issues in the dressing room. Lennon has people skills and a fun side that I'm not sure Keane has and look how that ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    I watched it and it was certainly interesting. Keane's very up and down with me. Sometimes I think he's an utter moaning git and a bit of a parody of a hardman then there's other times when I'm nodding my head in agreement and think he's some sort of oracle to the lack of edge/softness throughout football nowadays.

I doubt it would work out at Hibs. His standards would be too much for the comfy world of Scottish football and we would end up with another Collins situation in my opinion.

The facts are that the players have all the power in the game nowadays and Keane when he gets nasty would cause all sorts of issues in the dressing room. Lennon has people skills and a fun side that I'm not sure Keane has and look how that ended.
    Agree with that

In his book he says that playing against the Hibs kids (our Golden Generation) was when he knew it was time to retire

Clearly something very wrong in his head. Recent article about the way he spoke to players at Ipswich and his recent comments about Jon Walters are disgraceful really. Needs professional help.

I just think he comes across as really bitter all the time. His absolute hatred of Alex Ferguson seems to stem from the fact he really thought he was a bit special and different to Fergie. Ultimately though he was treated in the exact same way as every other player who outlived their usefulness at Man Utd and he can't stand that.

He's a total caricature as far as I can see and some of his latest ramblings are verging on him being footballs answer to Katie Hopkins.

I love him.

Utterly mental but very honest and consistent.

You'd know where you stand with him and if your standards were high enough then you'd have nothing to worry about. If not.........

I just don't know if he'd struggle a bit with players at our level - players who lack his commitment or ability. He'd need to get a tune out of players who he maybe doesn't rate and like John Collins, I think he'd have problems there.

Left by mutual consent!
    Apparently Jon Walters and Keane had a bit of a face off in Keane’s office when they were both at Ipswich. Sounds like Keane might have shat himself a wee bit when Walters refused to be bullied

I've met him a few times and he's a top guy. As most would expect he is in no way like his TV personality in real life. In fact he is pleasant and very genuine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Clearly something very wrong in his head. Recent article about the way he spoke to players at Ipswich and his recent comments about Jon Walters are disgraceful really. Needs professional help.
    Thought his comments were spot on tbh. Particularly when you consider what happened and the context of the interview.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I just think he comes across as really bitter all the time. His absolute hatred of Alex Ferguson seems to stem from the fact he really thought he was a bit special and different to Fergie. Ultimately though he was treated in the exact same way as every other player who outlived their usefulness at Man Utd and he can't stand that.

He's a total caricature as far as I can see and some of his latest ramblings are verging on him being footballs answer to Katie Hopkins.
    ...............Brilliant

A better and more sucessful midfielder than some who are regarded as "premier league legends" despite never winning the premier league. He speaks his mind, whether you like him or not. That interview is quite good but it doesnt help when you have gary neville with his horrendously squeaky laugh every 2 minutes.

I could never get past his tackle on Alfe Inge Haaland. Flat out attempt to maim someone and just despicable. It's one thing to kick an opponent but that crossed every line imaginable....

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I could never get past his tackle on Alfe Inge Haaland. Flat out attempt to maim someone and just despicable. It's one thing to kick an opponent but that crossed every line imaginable....
    It was outrageous, though that goes back to Keane's injury at Elland Road and Haaland's conduct. No excuse for Keane's response though.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Thought his comments were spot on tbh. Particularly when you consider what happened and the context of the interview.
    So his comments laughing at/mocking Walters for getting emotional on TV over the death of his brother and his wifes miscarridge are spot on?

I have to disagree.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Yup.

Can't stand the guy. A miserable ******* and one who I don't doubt for a second isn't half as hard as he thinks he is.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Yup.

Can't stand the guy. A miserable ******* and one who I don't doubt for a second isn't half as hard as he thinks he is.
    It's easy to be a hard man when there's a referee there who you know is going to step in......

Think he’s a knob and wouldn’t want him involved at Hibs. That’s without me actually knowing the man of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    So his comments laughing at/mocking Walters for getting emotional on TV over the death of his brother and his wifes miscarridge are spot on?

I have to disagree.
    Clearly I wasn't suggesting those things are anything other tragic. My reference was around the incident at the Ireland training camp. And the subsequent leak to the press. Feel free to add another dimension to it if it makes you feel better though.

@hibs.net private member
    He's a bit all over the place. He'll play the hardman role and then turn victim when he talks about how Ferguson treated him.

It's a pretty hypocritical to think you can tear into players as a manager but constantly moan that you weren't respected as a player.

That said his display in the second leg of the Champions League semi final away to Juve the year they won it was one of the best captains performances I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    It's easy to be a hard man when there's a referee there who you know is going to step in......
    Which is pretty much every footballer.

Clearly I wasn't suggesting those things are anything other tragic. My reference was around the incident at the Ireland training camp. And the subsequent leak to the press. Feel free to add another dimension to it if it makes you feel better though.
    I didn't realize that is what you were talking about, I assumed you were talking about the ''recent comments about Jon Walters'' part of my post.

He was ridiculously out of order at the Ireland training ground as well, coming into the changing room screaming at players who had injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    In his book he says that playing against the Hibs kids (our Golden Generation) was when he knew it was time to retire
    I think that's glorifying him abit, it was Jay Shields who marked him out the game that day. Not exactly a poster boy for the Hibs Golden Generation!

Left by mutual consent!
    He's my kind of guy, but I'd hate to work with him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Which is pretty much every footballer.
    Nowadays. Those guys back then were pretty hard to be fair. Duncan Ferguson and Jaap Stam spring to mind for instance.

Keane never went near big Dunc.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Next Hibs boss

We’ve not had a psychotic Irish man in a while

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Next Hibs boss

We’ve not had a psychotic Irish man in a while
    Not that many around. 😬