hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the C licence course recently at Oriam and thought it was good. First day was a Saturday and then a Thursday and Friday practice day and then Thursday and Friday assessment both 2 weeks apart. The main difference was team shaping exercises which were interesting and challenging. Was enjoyable. If you are linked with a community rated club you get a 50 per cent discount so cost is about 150 or so.
    I do fancy that course if I can make time for it. Team shaping was one of the areas that our new coach has improved massively. Football isn’t just naming a team and telling them the formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    You say yourself that a 1.3 level coach made improvements on what the 1.2 guys were doing. Who knows how much they could improve with someone else even more qualified? Maybe not at all, as it could be that your 1.3 coach is excellent.
    I suppose it’s a case of ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’. If your club is able to raise funds, then why not try bringing in a more qualified coach for a session a week. They usually charge about £30 a session (finding the right guy is the hard part but they are out there). Even if it doesn’t work out, it can good for the boys to hear a different voice for a few weeks.

We're looking in to doing that already, but haven't been able to find the right time for it yet.

Also, we do have players that are physically impressive

Tierney
    Oli Burke
    John McGinn
    Callum Paterson
    Jack Hendry - once he bulks up a bit more
    Porteous
    Ryan Fraser
    Scott McKenna
    James Forrest

Are all absolute units.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 18-10-2018 at 01:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Regarding the success GB has had with cycling, that's exactly the model Scottish Football needs to follow. They ripped apart the whole UK cycling model and started again.

Created an academy to make sure they could work with and monitor the best young cyclists, employ world class coaches to make sure they nurtured their potential, gave them top class facilities to train and learn, looked at other sports and industries to see what technology they could use that others were not to give them the upper hand. It was based on the moneyball approach, great book and film by the way, where you looked for marginal gains instead of immediate success.

The national coach get very little time with players so there no point getting in some e who's brilliant on the training ground or excellent at maintaining fitness within the group over season. You need someone who understands tactics and can motivate players. Look at the opposition and find their weaknesses, find a formation to take advantage of those and counteract their strengths and pick the layers who fit that position best. If that means you leave out a "better" player for someone who is more industrious and would fit the role better so be it. England failed over the last few decades because they kept trying to squeeze their big names in to one starting 11, even though it appeared they could perform as a unit.

And drugs. Don’t forget the drugs.

Decline of Scottish National Football Team

https://athleticevolution.co.uk/2018...mpression=true

Article showing the work being done by Hibs on strength and conditioning. I know we are taking it far more seriously than most clubs in Scotland. All this never happened pre the arrival of Leeann and George Craig.

Thought I would resurrect this thread. When are our footballing leaders going to sort out the fundamental problems that we've got in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Thought I would resurrect this thread. When are our footballing leaders going to sort out the fundamental problems that we've got in Scotland.
    They are incapable of doing so....the higher eschilons of Scottish football appear to be corrupt to the core.
    Let's face it, they seem to answer to no-one.
    Possibly need UEFA to step in ?!

We need massive change across Scottish football. Our game and standard is as low as I can remember....all under their watch
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Maybe it’s now built into the Scottish psyche. Maybe we’re just a bunch of losers. Lacking grit, winning mentality and determination.

I genuinely don’t see us doing much different to other countries at grassroots level. Football 4s, 5s, 7s, 11s. Pathway etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Those are ‘Dads’ courses though. They are very basic. The standard that other countries are educating their coaches to are much higher.
    I was head coach of my sons team until about 2 months ago. We were struggling badly even though I felt we had a lot of decent wee players.
    Every week I would try and work out where we are going wrong, moving kids around, changing formation etc. Nothing was working and I was beginning to think maybe some of the kids should be in a lower team.
    We got very lucky when a new kid pitched up who’s dad was an ex pro and had his UEFA A license. We immediately started to ask if he could help out and eventually persuaded him to become head coach.
    The difference he has made in two short months is massive. All the kids are playing with confidence again and results have followed. None of them now look out of place in that team and their improvement is massive, including my own lad.
    That’s just one team though and it was just dumb luck that he chose our team for his kid but if we could do that with every kids team in the country I guarantee that the quality of player we produce would massively improve.

Badges don’t make coaches. I’ve seen some awful B license coaches in youth football.

My view on this runs contrary to what appears to be the majority view here. I honestly think it's ridiculous blaming "the blazers", the coaches, the politicians etc.

We are a small country with a small pool of people to choose from for elite sport. Other small countries do better than us and that is where there is understandable cause for concern.

It's far too easy and also plain wrong IMHO to blame the usual suspects mentioned above.

Surely someone on this forum has actually had kids playing for teams during their teenage years and observed what happens to the vast majority?

Far too many in this country do not want to commit to the sort of personal and physical discipline that is required nowadays to succeed at the top level in sport.

If you listen to current elite sportspeople (Andy Murray for example) you start to understand the extent of the sacrifices they make.

Does anyone have the balls to openly address the issue of to what extent our problems are caused by the fact that those sacrifices are being made by competitor nations but not by us?

Blaming the SFA etc is failing to take responsibility IMO.

We should take a look at ourselves and our culture before we start blaming those who have to organise and coach the small number of those remaining who have been prepared to make the necessary commitment.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Badges don’t make coaches. I’ve seen some awful B license coaches in youth football.
    That was a point John Collins made at the Henry Mcleish talk at last years book festival. He said coaches should be reviewed every 6 months/12 months to make sure they are still coaching the correct things and in the correct way. At the moment it seems like once you’ve got your badges you’ve “made it” and will probably get a job through who you know as much as how good a coach you are.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    My view on this runs contrary to what appears to be the majority view here. I honestly think it's ridiculous blaming "the blazers", the coaches, the politicians etc.

We are a small country with a small pool of people to choose from for elite sport. Other small countries do better than us and that is where there is understandable cause for concern.

It's far too easy and also plain wrong IMHO to blame the usual suspects mentioned above.

Surely someone on this forum has actually had kids playing for teams during their teenage years and observed what happens to the vast majority?

Far too many in this country do not want to commit to the sort of personal and physical discipline that is required nowadays to succeed at the top level in sport.

If you listen to current elite sportspeople (Andy Murray for example) you start to understand the extent of the sacrifices they make.

Does anyone have the balls to openly address the issue of to what extent our problems are caused by the fact that those sacrifices are being made by competitor nations but not by us?

Blaming the SFA etc is failing to take responsibility IMO.

We should take a look at ourselves and our culture before we start blaming those who have to organise and coach the small number of those remaining who have been prepared to make the necessary commitment.
    I agree with your take on things.

Too many people far too willing to blame anything and everything on everyone else except the obvious failings of individuals.

(To generalise)
    We are a nation of idle, druggy, drunken negative thinkers who absolutely revel in pointing out the shortcomings or failings of anyone and everyone else - then demand the same people fix all those ills for us.

We've better facilities now than ever.
    We've more Coaches, Academies etc etc etc
    Great small sided kids teams.

But if boys get to 15 or 16 and either think they've already made it OR start chasing after girls and booze then I'm ****ed if I know why we blame that on the "Blazers"??

Don't these kids have family to point them in the right direction - it can't be all Ernie Walker,Jim Farry, Roger Mitchell, Rod Petrie's fault (delete as appropriate) FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    That was a point John Collins made at the Henry Mcleish talk at last years book festival. He said coaches should be reviewed every 6 months/12 months to make sure they are still coaching the correct things and in the correct way. At the moment it seems like once you’ve got your badges you’ve “made it” and will probably get a job through who you know as much as how good a coach you are.
    Problem is once you've done your badges you can do whatever the **** you want at grass roots level. All the learning goes out the window and it's all about winning for a lot of "coaches".

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    I agree with your take on things.

Too many people far too willing to blame anything and everything on everyone else except the obvious failings of individuals.

(To generalise)
    We are a nation of idle, druggy, drunken negative thinkers who absolutely revel in pointing out the shortcomings or failings of anyone and everyone else - then demand the same people fix all those ills for us.

We've better facilities now than ever.
    We've more Coaches, Academies etc etc etc
    Great small sided kids teams.

But if boys get to 15 or 16 and either think they've already made it OR start chasing after girls and booze then I'm ****ed if I know why we blame that on the "Blazers"??

Don't these kids have family to point them in the right direction - it can't be all Ernie Walker,Jim Farry, Roger Mitchell, Rod Petrie's fault (delete as appropriate) FFS.
    I’m not so sure I agree with the bits in bold, they’re also not unique to Scotland. A count of the current squad and we have 10 players from the premiership, with 6 playing regularly. With another 5 who have played large spells in their careers there. The premiership might not be as good quality wise as it is marketed, outside the top 6 anyway. However I always remember Clarke Carlisle talking at the book festival years ago. He made the point that he considered himself fit and looked after himself, but when he got promoted he realised just how fit you have to be just to survive in that league. He used Nicky Butt as the example of the common perception that once he left Man U he was finished, but what people didn’t see was the commitment and dedication needed simply to remain playing in that league.

Theyll do nothing until people starve them of money. Stop going to hampden. Stop giving these charlatans money until they get off their ***** and do something. Theyre quite happy to sit back and let this continious ****show continue as long as people keep buying tickets and people keep giving them money. Thats all they care about

Another embarrassing result tonight.

Until Friday, Scotland had only lost three competitive matches at Hampden in the previous 25 matches, all three against teams that were World Champions at the time. Now add another two defeats to that list.

Things are getting progressively worse with no sign of things getting better.

Well said Kris Boyd.

The template is not working.
    Football has now a middle class sport.
    Our football is so passive.
    All our players are just robots.
    No-one wants to defend now.

Well said Kris Boyd.

Coming from a fat hun who couldn’t even be bothered to play for his country ? Forgive me if I’m not hanging on his every word.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Coming from a fat hun who couldn’t even be bothered to play for his country ? Forgive me if I’m not hanging on his every word.
    Each to their own, but he's talking a lot of sense.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post

we should maybe listen then

Well said Kris Boyd.

All our players are just robots.
    No-one wants to defend now.
    Middle class sport ?

What does he mean by that?

I find it hilarious folk are surprised about what’s happening.

Scotland have been in decline for years and the SFA and how the game is run up here to suit the Old Firm is a major problem.

Add in useless coaches and the CULTURE we have and oh get constant failure.

It will continue to get worse - even if Scotland qualify through the playoffs they will get embarrassed at the Euros.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    What does he mean by "a middle class sport"?

Does he mean everyone in schemes is just sitting on their fat ***** and eating Dominoes pizzas?

Tbf i dont like the fat turd but he made a good point about players being robots. Too many mctominays playing square passes. Zero individuality about them. No moment of magic. Just another jersey being filled

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Does he mean everyone in schemes is just sitting on their fat ***** and eating Dominoes pizzas?
    He means they don’t have the money to support their kids in sport.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Football in this country is becoming unaffordable for many kids and it’s not right.

My boys football is £25 a month, kit cost about £50 and then there’s the cost of the boots, match plays, summer camps etc.

I’m lucky enough that I can afford it but there’s plenty that can’t spare that amount, especially if people have a couple of kids. The fact the facilities are better now means nothing to the parents that can’t afford to send their kids to these clubs.

I don’t think many primary schools have a team now either as it’s been replaced by these academies.

By comparison for a kid to join my local tennis club it costs £60 for the year and you get free coaching every Saturday morning.

Historically though tennis is the middle class game, it’s changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    He means they don’t have the money to support their kids in sport.
    Ah, cool. He's probably right. It was something that Brad Welsh tried to champion, but is deffo something the SFA should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Football in this country is becoming unaffordable for many kids and it’s not right.

My boys football is £25 a month, kit cost about £50 and then there’s the cost of the boots, match plays, summer camps etc.

I’m lucky enough that I can afford it but there’s plenty that can’t spare that amount, especially if people have a couple of kids. The fact the facilities are better now means nothing to the parents that can’t afford to send their kids to these clubs.

I don’t think many primary schools have a team now either as it’s been replaced by these academies.

By comparison for a kid to join my local tennis club it costs £60 for the year and you get free coaching every Saturday morning.

Historically though tennis is the middle class game, it’s changed.
    N.b. which tennis club? My son plays at Meadows and it's about £20 a month for Saturday coaching.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    N.b. which tennis club? My son plays at Meadows and it's about £20 a month for Saturday coaching.
    Abercorn tennis club just off Willowbrae road.

https://clubspark.lta.org.uk/AbercornSportsClub/Membership/Join

(£69 it is but good discount if you have a brother or sister already a member, the free lesson is what I’ve been told, probably can’t give you a link for that, I assume it is reliant on a volunteer)

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    They are incapable of doing so....the higher eschilons of Scottish football appear to be corrupt to the core.
    Let's face it, they seem to answer to no-one.
    Possibly need UEFA to step in ?!

We need massive change across Scottish football. Our game and standard is as low as I can remember....all under their watch

UEFA have a big enough job sorting out our countries sectarian bigots on behalf of our spineless SFA at the moment tbf

I think Clarke’s team selection has been awful. I have no idea why we persist on picking players who are not even kicking a ball at club level (Armstrong/Snodgrass). Ultimately I blame the old firm for our decline. Rangers started from the bottom and managed to not bring a single youth player through the ranks in that time. Preferring over the hill journeyman (Daly) to negotiate the seaside leagues. Far too many promising young players bought with the intention of sitting on the bench. This phenomenon has been rife lately with average EPL sides and championship teams doing exactly the same thing.