hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=BILLYHIBS;5546288]Unfortunate indeed John Brownlie said that he got a shout from Mickey Edwards and had no option but to go for the ball. He was only 20 and just burst onto the full international scene ahead of the likes of Jardine and McGrain. You are correct he was never the same player

Tragic for Onion, of course, and almost certainly cost us the league flag!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m with you on this can’t ever remember joe Davis overlapping and bombing up the wing, all I mind was the rebel dribbling and as you say leaving full backs on there Ercky . Wasn’t till shades on one side and brownlie on the other did we have overlapping full backs unless my memory faded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm with you Easty, I liked Joe Davis for most of his tenure with us, but the memory banks just don't compute with anything resembling him 'bombing down the wing' and interchanging with Stevie.

He was an adequate FULL back, never a wing back type.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I'm with you Easty, I liked Joe Davis for most of his tenure with us, but the memory banks just don't compute with anything resembling him 'bombing down the wing' and interchanging with Stevie.

He was an adequate FULL back, never a wing back type.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Reminded me of the crack that reverberated around the Stadium when Ian Printy tackled John Brownlie near the half way line early 1973 HIBS v East Fife.

The day the music died!

Our title hopes further booted into touch by Alex Edwards’s eight week suspension
    Remember that game well, East Fife then managed by ex Hibs player Pat Quinn booted us all over the pitch and parked the bus, Alan Gordon scored in the dying minutes, Easter Road erupted IIRC

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Remember that game well, East Fife then managed by ex Hibs player Pat Quinn booted us all over the pitch and parked the bus, Alan Gordon scored in the dying minutes, Easter Road erupted IIRC

Wikipedia says over 17000 at that game...some crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post

It's strange isn't it? Skilful players like Quinn and Don Revie turn into monster managers while hard,hard men like Stein and Turnbull went the other way and encouraged skill above toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Wikipedia says over 17000 at that game...some crowd.
    Around five days after the 7-0 game, which put us top, we had also won the two cup competitions that had been completed and were through to the cup winners cup, quarter final, so not really as good as the crowds we are getting today.