hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Open Tennis

Left by mutual consent!
    Not for the first time Serena couldn't handle an ass whooping on court.

I'm just surprised the race card wasn't played.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Age, I think, has finally started to catch up with Federer. He's the greatest of all time, no question, but I think it's asking a lot at 37 to keep winning slams.

Never liked Djokovic and always thought there was something a bit iffy about his sudden elevation from a guy who consistently dropped out of tournaments through 'injury' to unbeatable automaton. I actually thought he was finished a couple of years ago but he seems to have found a way back although he does still take a lot of medical time-outs (in my view often halt the flow of the game if he's struggling).

Problem with men's tennis is that for some reason there has been nobody stepping up to challenge the top guys for nigh on 15 years. Retirement can't be far off for Federer, Nadal has knee problems yet again, Murray looks (sadly) unlikely to be able to compete at the top again due to the severity of the injury he sustained, so there's really nobody standing in Djokovic's way any more.

All of this. He rarely takes a medical time-out when he’s winning, but very regular when he’s struggling. I believe Murray even passed comment on it a few years ago. It’s at best shady gamesmanship, at worst a form of cheating. He spat the dummy when he was refused by an umpire at one match.

And as you’ve said, could barely complete a 5 set match, then suddenly became some kind of iron man overnight.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    All of this. He rarely takes a medical time-out when he’s winning, but very regular when he’s struggling. I believe Murray even passed comment on it a few years ago. It’s at best shady gamesmanship, at worst a form of cheating. He spat the dummy when he was refused by an umpire at one match.

And as you’ve said, could barely complete a 5 set match, then suddenly became some kind of iron man overnight.
    There were many times he struggled to complete a 3 set match.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    There were many times he struggled to complete a 3 set match.
    Indeed. And the sudden transformation in his fitness levels has given rise to a lot of speculation down the years. I know both he and Nadal were alleged to have been serving 'silent' drugs bans while supposedly injured, with Nadal successfully suing for defamation.

Andy Murray and Federer are the only top players I can recall actually speaking out about drugs in tennis. I remember Murray drawing some angry words from Boris Becker (who was Djokovic's coach at the time) when he said this:

"Have I ever been suspicious of someone? Yeah. You hear things. It’s harder to tell in our sport as people can make big improvements to a stroke or start serving better because they have made technical changes. If it’s purely physical and you’re watching someone playing six-hour matches over and over and showing no signs of being tired, you’d look at that.”

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Indeed. And the sudden transformation in his fitness levels has given rise to a lot of speculation down the years. I know both he and Nadal were alleged to have been serving 'silent' drugs bans while supposedly injured, with Nadal successfully suing for defamation.

Andy Murray and Federer are the only top players I can recall actually speaking out about drugs in tennis. I remember Murray drawing some angry words from Boris Becker (who was Djokovic's coach at the time) when he said this:

"Have I ever been suspicious of someone? Yeah. You hear things. It’s harder to tell in our sport as people can make big improvements to a stroke or start serving better because they have made technical changes. If it’s purely physical and you’re watching someone playing six-hour matches over and over and showing no signs of being tired, you’d look at that.”
    It's his gluten free diet.

Happily, there's no gluten in EPO, HGH, testosterone etc.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post

Extraordinary behaviour by Williams. What a selfish, spoilt and graceless woman. And what a shame for her young opponent to have her big moment ruined by this monster.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Extraordinary behaviour by Williams. What a selfish, spoilt and graceless woman. And what a shame for her young opponent to have her big moment ruined by this monster.
    Monster??? Wtf...Williams has been one of the greatest athletes of her generation....she has had a handful of issues during a 20 year professional career. Characters like McEnroe and Kyrgios are viewed as "interesting" when they do it..she may have reacted poorly here..but she clearly felt aggrieved.

She also put her arm around her opponent after and asked the crowd to appreciate the deserved winning performance of her opponent. How you can call he graceless is beyond me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I don’t mind a bad loser but she’s fine beyond that on this I Addison.

I admire her equality stance but feel she’s undermined it here by trying to use it to her advantage.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post

There's a race 'row' surfacing now:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...609d89ac521d9f
    Last edited by G B Young; 11-09-2018 at 04:16 PM.