hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Open Tennis

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

US Open Tennis

I can't find any Tv coverage but saw a clip on the Itv news which suggests that Amazon Prime have the broadcasting rights. Is this another of these friggin streaming services?

2. Log in to remove the advert

yes streaming online - I am still seething at losing La Liga and Serie A on the TV.

Cant get into watching on a laptop and cant be bothered hooking it up to the TV plus the the picture quality wont be the best.

Not had a reduction on my SKY/BT Bill yet funnily enough

Quote Originally Posted by archiecoby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes streaming online - I am still seething at losing La Liga and Serie A on the TV.

Cant get into watching on a laptop and cant be bothered hooking it up to the TV plus the the picture quality wont be the best.

Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by archiecoby View Post

I got a letter this morning from Virgin advising that the monthly bill was going up by £4 per month, I'll be phoning to complain about how much sport I've lost in the meantime.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Got it on Amazon Prime, coverage is appalling. Sound absolutely dreadful, picture not great and camera is birds eye.

Andy 2 sets to one up after losing the first set.

Murray a break up in the 4th. He's playing some nice stuff in patches.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I got a letter this morning from Virgin advising that the monthly bill was going up by £4 per month, I'll be phoning to complain about how much sport I've lost in the meantime.
    I am one of the mugs that always has the full Sky/BT package. My 18 month minimum term is up in my new house next month and I always threaten to cancel it but never do but I am close this time. Just can’t get into streaming on the laptop though but it annoys me that you can get most of the football for free and I am paying a fortune every month

Andy wins 3 sets to one. Good start.

Meanwhile British number 1 Kyle Edmund loses in the 1st round to some unknown 35 year old Italian journeyman.

Verdasco next for Murray , he's got a decent chance of beating him then it would be Del Potro .. Cant see any way past the big fellow unfortunatly

Murray one set all v Verdasco right now. Should have won the first set but ended it badly and lost it. Played a lot better in the second set and won it.

Very hot conditions in New York just now.

Cameron Norrie is also one set all v Dusan Lajovic just now.

Also for anyone without Amazon Prime just now, you can sign up for a 30 day free trial.

Verdasco back in front two sets to one.

Looks ominous now for Murray.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I was lamenting to my wife the other day just how much sport has disappeared from our TV's in recent years. Previously, my subscription to Sky Sports got me the SPL, EPL, La Liga, Eredivise, Serie A, Bundesliga, International football, US Open golf, all tennis majors, Pro14 Rugby Championships, etc, etc.

Now, to have that same level of coverage, I'm the same cost of subscription to Sky Sport, plus BT Sport, plus Eleven Sports, plus Premier Sports, plus Amazon Prime!

Is it any wonder people increasingly just find "illegal" ways of watching sport? It would cost a fortune to maintain all of these subscriptions, and to what end? Ensuring these ridiculously rich institutions and athletes continue to get richer?

---------------------------------------------

I was actually surprised when Murray came back from his last injury - I'll be amazed if he ever competes at the top of the game again - he looked pained yesterday at points. His movement is clunky, and he seems to be protecting himself whenever he stretches.

I'm no fan of hers, but I absolutely loved seeing Serena Williams turning up in a tutu yesterday as a big "**** you" to the French Open organisers, who retroactively changed their dress code to prevent her wearing her catsuit again.

Federer is out! Ah yer finished ya auld Swiss cheese ye!

Left by mutual consent!
    Jamie Murray into the mixed doubles final (his tenth grand slam doubles final) and targeting his sixth grand slam doubles title.

With 22 career titles as well as a historic Davis Cup win behind him I reckon Jamie's profile as one of Scotland's top sportsmen would be significantly higher were it not for the fact Andy is a global superstar.

Not seen a single game of this tournament.. can’t be a good thing for tennis alienating so many people.. then again money talks..

Controversial end to the women's final tonight between Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka.

Osaka won 6-2 6-4 to win her first Grand Slam title and to become the first male or female Japanese Grand Slam champion. However that will be largely overshadowed by what went on up the other end of the court with her opponent. First of all Williams received a warning for being coached at the start of the second set, which she was extremely upset about and had various chats with the umpire about it during the sit down afterwards. She then received a point penalty for destroying her racket a few games later and then that seemed to reignite her anger about the coaching violation and she flew into a tirade against the umpire calling him a "thief" and a "liar". The umpire then called for a game penalty, which was the next step in the disciplinary process.

That meant that Osaka was 5-3 up and although Williams held her serve to get it back to 5-4, Osaka held her own serve to win the match.

I don't think it's the last we'll hear of this but personally I don't think the umpire had much option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Controversial end to the women's final tonight between Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka.

Osaka won 6-2 6-4 to win her first Grand Slam title and to become the first male or female Japanese Grand Slam champion. However that will be largely overshadowed by what went on up the other end of the court with her opponent. First of all Williams received a warning for being coached at the start of the second set, which she was extremely upset about and had various chats with the umpire about it during the sit down afterwards. She then received a point penalty for destroying her racket a few games later and then that seemed to reignite her anger about the coaching violation and she flew into a tirade against the umpire calling him a "thief" and a "liar". The umpire then called for a game penalty, which was the next step in the disciplinary process.

That meant that Osaka was 5-3 up and although Williams held her serve to get it back to 5-4, Osaka held her own serve to win the match.

I don't think it's the last we'll hear of this but personally I don't think the umpire had much option.

This was plainly a Dutch-Japanese conspiracy to deprive a Williams sister and the American crowd of their just entitlements. I mean, it was the US Open, she's American and on a comeback after having a baby, and the umpire cheated everyone out of their fairytale ending.

Not the first time this particular GOAT has kicked off in similar circumstances. Losing the first set 6-2 apparently wasn't in Ms Williams' plans.

BJ King (another GOAT!) seemingly of the opinion that it was all down to a bad attitude on the part of a male official against a woman - what part of the human race does Osaka belong to?

Any Tweets from the President yet?

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Disgraceful stuff from Williams. She totally lost the plot.

For me, being the GOAT is about more than winning. Her behaviour was embarrassing and she's owe a few apologies. I doubt she'll give them though.

What an anti-climax that must have been for Osaka. I'm gutted for her, but hope she can learn from the negatives of the experience and go on to do great things.

They say you shouldn't meet your heroes. In the case of Williams, I guess you shouldn't beat them either.

The US tennis crowd are pretty badly behaved. Like their golf crowd.

Left by mutual consent!
    Serves Serena right. Good to see her beaten. She's always struck me as a graceless champion who gets an easy ride from the polite tennis media.

Great win for Jamie Murray in the mixed doubles final ☺

Interesting that her coach has come out after the match and admitted that he was coaching when Serena got her warning. Serena has subsequently said she will be speaking to him to find out why he said that as she didn't get any coaching during the match.

In fairness to her it's not really her fault if her coach suddenly decides to make hand gestures like he's coaching her. It should perhaps be the coach who is punished in cases like that and they are dismissed from the stadium and then banned from attending future matches for a certain period of time. Similar to a football manager getting a dugout ban.

Her behaviour at the end though wasn't good. At one point she actually admitted to the umpire that she understood why he would have thought she was being coached and it seemed like she had let it go. Then as soon as she lost a few games in a row, she went back to that incident and totally lost the plot. You can't call the umpire a "thief" and a "liar" and expect to get away with it. I only wish it had been a female umpire who had been in the chair last night to stop any accusations of sexism coming from Serena.

They should have yellow cards in tennis. Two strikes and you're off.

Williams fined a total of just over £13,000 for the three separate offences.

Small change to her I would suggest.

Del Potro always looks like he's been on court for about three hours. Dead slow!
    He's getting beaten tonight I reckon.

Djokovic is starting to look unbeatable again . Del Potro was letting fly with some crazy power and Djokovic just slid around batting it all right back . No more grand slams for Federer if he stays fit .

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Interesting that her coach has come out after the match and admitted that he was coaching when Serena got her warning. Serena has subsequently said she will be speaking to him to find out why he said that as she didn't get any coaching during the match.

In fairness to her it's not really her fault if her coach suddenly decides to make hand gestures like he's coaching her. It should perhaps be the coach who is punished in cases like that and they are dismissed from the stadium and then banned from attending future matches for a certain period of time. Similar to a football manager getting a dugout ban.

Her behaviour at the end though wasn't good. At one point she actually admitted to the umpire that she understood why he would have thought she was being coached and it seemed like she had let it go. Then as soon as she lost a few games in a row, she went back to that incident and totally lost the plot. You can't call the umpire a "thief" and a "liar" and expect to get away with it. I only wish it had been a female umpire who had been in the chair last night to stop any accusations of sexism coming from Serena.
    Embarrassing from Serena and IMO very poor to call the sexism card. Her behaviour was horrific and not the first time at the US open again when she was losing, the last time a few years back was a female line judge and again her behaviour was awful. Billie Jean King comments dont help especially when there isnt at least some acknowledgement that her behaviour was very poor. Not sure what her point was that male players did the same and didnt get punished?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Djokovic is starting to look unbeatable again . Del Potro was letting fly with some crazy power and Djokovic just slid around batting it all right back . No more grand slams for Federer if he stays fit .
    Obviously back on the gluten free diet.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Age, I think, has finally started to catch up with Federer. He's the greatest of all time, no question, but I think it's asking a lot at 37 to keep winning slams.

Never liked Djokovic and always thought there was something a bit iffy about his sudden elevation from a guy who consistently dropped out of tournaments through 'injury' to unbeatable automaton. I actually thought he was finished a couple of years ago but he seems to have found a way back although he does still take a lot of medical time-outs (in my view often halt the flow of the game if he's struggling).

Problem with men's tennis is that for some reason there has been nobody stepping up to challenge the top guys for nigh on 15 years. Retirement can't be far off for Federer, Nadal has knee problems yet again, Murray looks (sadly) unlikely to be able to compete at the top again due to the severity of the injury he sustained, so there's really nobody standing in Djokovic's way any more.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Embarrassing from Serena and IMO very poor to call the sexism card. Her behaviour was horrific and not the first time at the US open again when she was losing, the last time a few years back was a female line judge and again her behaviour was awful. Billie Jean King comments dont help especially when there isnt at least some acknowledgement that her behaviour was very poor. Not sure what her point was that male players did the same and didnt get punished?
    To be fair I can sort of see the point, quite often the male players rant away at the umpire for a long period of time and don't even get a warning. Where I think they are wrong is that Serena didn't just rant at the umpire, she accused him of being a liar and a thief which is stepping into the abuse category, questioning his integrity. As far as I could see he let her rant on for a wee while before calling the code violation against her after she called him a liar and a thief.

I don't remember many male players outright questioning the umpires integrity, perhaps they've questioned their abilities, but there's a big difference between saying someone is not good enough and saying someone is deliberately lying to make a player lose.

She should apologise and move on IMHO, pick a better moment to call out sexism, such as her outfit ban, or the female player who was given a code violation for changing her shirt on court when the male players do it all the time.

She lost control, not for the first time, and is trying to deflect from that IMHO.