hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

NYC (Manhattan) Bar Recommendations?

I'm heading off to NYC this weekend and looking for some bar recommendations.
    I'm well aware, as like with most big cities, there are tourist traps, so looking for some bars that come with the Hibs.Net endorsement and seal of approval.
    I'm lodging close to Times Square but will be all over Manhattan south of Central Park. I've already booked a brewery tour with the "Flagship Brewery" on Staten Island, I'm also trying to book a Brooklyn Brewery tour.
    I realise there's more to do than beer in NYC but the missus has already pencilled in some time for Macys & Tiffanys,,,,I desperately need to balance the books here

2. Log in to remove the advert

Holland's bar in hells kitchen, not far from TS. It's a proper dive and cheap as, $3 draft IIRC which is mental.

Legends of 33rd (I think?) Will have all the football on.

Other than that, you'll find some decent bars down the Village.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm heading off to NYC this weekend and looking for some bar recommendations.
    I'm well aware, as like with most big cities, there are tourist traps, so looking for some bars that come with the Hibs.Net endorsement and seal of approval.
    I'm lodging close to Times Square but will be all over Manhattan south of Central Park. I've already booked a brewery tour with the "Flagship Brewery" on Staten Island, I'm also trying to book a Brooklyn Brewery tour.
    I realise there's more to do than beer in NYC but the missus has already pencilled in some time for Macys & Tiffanys,,,,I desperately need to balance the books here
    I liked O’Lumleys just off time square, will be having a few in there myself in October. They have the football on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    I liked O’Lumleys just off time square, will be having a few in there myself in October. They have the football on too.
    Do you mean O'Lunneys? If so that's right across from my hotel, and I mean within "kerby" distance, I'm staying in the "Night Hotel",,,,the wife will be pleased

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    It's probably in the tourist trap category that you want to avoid but there is a hotel (Hilton I think) with a rotating restaurant and cocktail bar on the 30somethingth floor - the food is fab and eating it while rotating around New York skyline is a once in a lifetime experience, pricey though.

I'd also recommend China town for a bite to eat and a wonder - I imagine it must be one of the biggest out with China. It's also very cheap for some tasty Chinese food.

I realise those weren't really bar suggestions - but you can get drinks at them.
    Mon the Hibs.

To be fair, practically every bar has the football on now in NYC. It's awesome.

Do you mean O'Lunneys? If so that's right across from my hotel, and I mean within "kerby" distance, I'm staying in the "Night Hotel",,,,the wife will be pleased
    Yeah that’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    It's probably in the tourist trap category that you want to avoid but there is a hotel (Hilton I think) with a rotating restaurant and cocktail bar on the 30somethingth floor - the food is fab and eating it while rotating around New York skyline is a once in a lifetime experience, pricey though.

I'd also recommend China town for a bite to eat and a wonder - I imagine it must be one of the biggest out with China. It's also very cheap for some tasty Chinese food.

I realise those weren't really bar suggestions - but you can get drinks at them.
    That’s the Sheraton bar.

That’s the Sheraton bar.
    TheView at Marriott - I think Marriott and Sheraton are one and the same now?

https://www.theviewnyc.com/restaurant/
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    The Dead Rabbit, near Wall St, claims to have been voted the World’s best pub. I really like Stout, next to MSG.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Never been to NYC (one day one day) but a friend went and he raved about Jack Demseys, which is pretty big on sport, big Celtic hang out apparently. Its in Manhatton, no idea where though.

TheView at Marriott - I think Marriott and Sheraton are one and the same now?

https://www.theviewnyc.com/restaurant/
    Yes my mistake Marriot

the Hibernia. near hells kitchen. 42nd and something I think.

you'll find a Hibernian kit on the wall and a couple of expats behind the bar.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

Went there to watch the Euro 2016 final.

As someone else said, Dead Rabbit has been voted the best bar in the world apparently, think it’s mainly cocktails though?

I have been to the revolving restaurant that was mentioned above, I was a bit disappointed at the slow speed it revolved but then I suppose that makes sense when people are eating if you arrive after a certain time I think you need to pay a fairly substantial sum per head just to be there, so it’s worth going around lunch time if you want to avoid that.

The Alligator Lounge in Brooklyn does a free pizza with every single drink that you buy. Think it’s between Greenpoint and Williamsburg. The drinks are also fairly cheap.

I’d recommend 230 Fifth rooftop bar for the view. Bit of a posers bar but the view of the Empire State Building is amazing.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

I went there. Wasn't that keen on it TBH. Felt a bit queezy, no sure if it was the rotating restaurant or the weekends bevying catching up with me though

We actually thought the bar prices were ok in there (well as ok as you can get for a pint in Time Square), it was only when we got the bill we realised there was a $20 each 'entry fee'.

There was a decent rooftop bar i went to, can't think what it is called (it might just actually be called 'the rooftop bar' actually), it was huge and would be good for sports. They do a lot of happy hour promotions too as i still get emails from them now.

West 50th and 9th? I'll have to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    West 50th and 9th? I'll have to check it out
    yeah that's it.

yeah that's it.

The parents are visiting this weekend, perfect excuse!

hi

Lots of ideas here so far i d like to add the irish bar i think it was 54th w!

the very first bar my brother and I went to, i guess mostl becausew it was like a minute from our hotel !!
    have you made many other plans for new york? I d highly recommend top of the rock amazing !!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    hi

Lots of ideas here so far i d like to add the irish bar i think it was 54th w!

the very first bar my brother and I went to, i guess mostl becausew it was like a minute from our hotel !!
    have you made many other plans for new york? I d highly recommend top of the rock amazing !!
    Our “loose” and flexible itinerary is land at EWR tomorrow avo,train in to Manhattan, bus tour, walk, Top of the Rock.
    Friday Central Park, downtown Manhattan, “The Ride” at night followed by Friday night partying in NYC.
    Saturday, walk the high line, Wall St, 911 memorial, ferry to Staten Island, Flagship Brewery tour & drinks, Midtown/Hells Kitchen.
    Sunday we plan to catch up on anything we’ve might have missed due to timetable slippages then fly back in the evening.

Any spare time will be spent frequenting all the recommendations for public houses 🤣

The Rock is great. I decided to do it rather than the Empire State building as then you get a great view of the Empire State from the Rock - that view was one of my favourite pictures of my trip to NYC actually. I done the "day and night" pass which allowed you to access the roof twice - I liked that as it gave a couple of different persepctives of NY. Similar could probably be achieved going at sunset too if you only want to go up once.

Your itinerary sounds pretty good for the amount of time you're there - good luck fitting it all in!! - have a great time!
    Mon the Hibs.

Our “loose” and flexible itinerary is land at EWR tomorrow avo,train in to Manhattan, bus tour, walk, Top of the Rock.
    Friday Central Park, downtown Manhattan, “The Ride” at night followed by Friday night partying in NYC.
    Saturday, walk the high line, Wall St, 911 memorial, ferry to Staten Island, Flagship Brewery tour & drinks, Midtown/Hells Kitchen.
    Sunday we plan to catch up on anything we’ve might have missed due to timetable slippages then fly back in the evening.

Any spare time will be spent frequenting all the recommendations for public houses 🤣
    hi
    and looks like you have things sorted !!
    Unsure if its much intrest to you but on the saturday have you thought about the brooklyn bridge? my brother and i were keen to do the brooklyn bridge back in may and well we got half way across til someone sorta bottled it ( ye me!!) just the walking on the bridge was like the wooden slads you have on a bed and of course i looked down. but something to consider and was well worth it for us

kind regards and enjoy !!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    hi
    and looks like you have things sorted !!
    Unsure if its much intrest to you but on the saturday have you thought about the brooklyn bridge? my brother and i were keen to do the brooklyn bridge back in may and well we got half way across til someone sorta bottled it ( ye me!!) just the walking on the bridge was like the wooden slads you have on a bed and of course i looked down. but something to consider and was well worth it for us

kind regards and enjoy !!
    Brooklyn bridge is on the agenda, we were initially going to the Brooklyn Brewery but they don't do tours at the weekend, we were thinking of doing a loop encompassing both the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges, apparently both offer fine views of the Manhattan skyscape,,,, at this point it's all time dependant, I might have to drop the visit to Tiffany's (I might also come back single if I do that!).

Brooklyn bridge is on the agenda, we were initially going to the Brooklyn Brewery but they don't do tours at the weekend, we were thinking of doing a loop encompassing both the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges, apparently both offer fine views of the Manhattan skyscape,,,, at this point it's all time dependant, I might have to drop the visit to Tiffany's (I might also come back single if I do that!).
    They certainly do offer beautiful views.

There's a lovely wee cafe for ice cream and "restaurant" (Luke's I think) for a crab or lobster roll.

We took a ferry across to Brooklyn side, eat, and then wondered back across the bridge.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

The High Line is a lovely park. The Brooklyn Bridge is also a great walk and I would definitely recommend it. If you like your pizza then Grimaldis on Front Street in Brooklyn just over the bridge is one of the best I’ve ever had.

I liked Dead Rabbits. They do cocktails but also do decent lagers and food.

I stayed at the Novotel on Time Square which had a great bar half way up it looking out onto Time Square

@hibs.net private member
    Allow a good few hours if you're planning to do the whole tour of the 9/11 memorial It's huge and very, very emotional. Not to be rushed. 😭

@hibs.net private member
    Jimmy's corner bar just off Times Square - proper boozer a hundred yards from the bright lights of the square. Lots of boxing memorabilia if I recall correctly.