hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Spent 5 months in Calgary with work last year and it's amazing having that scenery on your doorstep. The city empties out at the weekend as everyone heads into the mountains for mountain biking in the summer and skiing in the winter. Banff is nice but I much prefer Canmore, lovely wee town. Calgary is also full of Scots. The Okanagan Valley (wine region in BC) is also stunning if you head West through the rockies. Breathtaking drive.

Next up for me is Prague next week. Heard good things and looking forward to it.
    Prague is great. Walk down from the castle district via the vineyards for some good views. Lobkowicz Palace cafe balcony is a great shout for a beer stop/snack with great views as well. Hemingways bar if you're treating the good lady friend to a cocktail, less stag friendly though.

Great city.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Very much so. A favourite Mark Twain quote

"twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didnt do, than by the ones you did do.
    so throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour, catch the trade winds in your sails"

Explore Dream Discover.

On Australia, it was never top or even near the top of my list either, but I visited for a friends wedding in the late 90s and thoroughly enjoyed it, met some great people, saw some great sights and had some fantastic experiences which to me is what travel is all about. We basically did the Gold Coast, Brisbane and Noosa. Im very open minded about travel but have to admit Australia did surprise me in a very positive way.
    I'm kind of hoping my low expectations will mean I'm pleasantly surprised when I do get round to it. New Zealand appeals to me more, would that still count as continental Australia?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I'm kind of hoping my low expectations will mean I'm pleasantly surprised when I do get round to it. New Zealand appeals to me more, would that still count as continental Australia?
    Well would count as Australasia

Surprised no one has mentioned China as it's brilliant and like nowhere I'd visited before. Also Colombia was fascinating as well, the difference between have and have nots is slap bang in front of you and can be a little intimidating. If you're going to USA then see the Grand Canyon - it is stunning. Jordan is also interesting as it's a sort of real Middle East meets the West type of place. Travel anywhere you can afford, it most certainly improves your outlook on life and people and should be mandatory.

I visited Japan a few weeks ago. It was somewhere I had always wanted to go and this year was the first time we had the money.

We travelled round using a rail pass on the shinkansen and stayed in Tokyo, Ito, Kyoto and Hiroshima. I don't think anyone could visit the peace park/museum in Hiroshima and still believe that nukes are a good idea. Lovely people, awesome food, quirkiness abound and beautiful scenery - it was an amazing experience and if you ever get the chance to go, just do it (avoid the summer though as I was saturated in sweat for two weeks!)

Get yourself to Transylvania, Romania. There's loads of beautifully preserved towns, castles, mountains and countryside. It's easy to travel around and it's cheap. Sibiu, Brasov, Sinaia and Sighisoara are all worth visiting.

I loved Sarajevo when I had a jaunt through the Balkans a few years ago. A lot of history there and the people were very friendly. I did a couple of amazing organised tours - one was a free walking tour in the city centre were the tour guide spoke of his experiences of growing up in Sarajevo during the siege, and the other we went to the old winter Olympic site and the tunnels they used to get supplies into Sarajevo during the siege. There's also a cracking brewery.

Before I retired most of my travel was in and around Europe, usual suspects!

As well as still doing that my wife and I have taken to long distance cruising.

5 years ago we did New York to Miami to Cartagena, Colombia through the Panama Canal to Puntarenas, Costa Rica to Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas (all Mexico) to Los Angeles.

The highlights were sailing out of New York and it's sky line fading into the distance; the Canal; Costa Rica was amazing and while a wee chappie made a bracelet for my daughter in Puerto Chiapas I taught him how to sing GGTTH!

3 years ago we sailed Buenos Aires to Venice, via Rio De Janeiro, Salvador da Bahia and Recife in Brazil before five days at sea crossing the Atlantic Ocean to Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Cadiz, Malaga and Palma de Mallorca in Spain, and on to Valletta in Malta, Dubrovnik in Croatia before our final stop in Venice.

Highlights Rio and and Atlantic storm!

Last year we did San Francisco to Sydney, via Honolulu Oahu, Bora Bora and Papeete, Tahiti: Auckland, Napier and Wellington New Zealand and on to Sydney.

Lots of highlights here none of which included the P&O ship we were on!

Next year we're off to Durban for a week that will include a safari. We try to include something on each end of the cruise. The Cruise Itinerary is Durban South Africa, Reunion, Mauritius, Seychelles, Jordan, I'm going to Petra, Egypt the Suez Canal, Katakolon Greece, Kotor, Montenegro, Croatia, Italy
    Space to let

5 years ago we did New York to Los Angeles via Miami; Cartagena, Colombia through the Panama Canal to Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas (all Mexico) to Los Angeles.

The highlights were sailing out of New York and it's sky line fading into the distance; the Canal; Costa Rica was amazing and while a wee chappie made a bracelet for my daughter in Puerto Chiapas I taught him how to sing GGTTH!

3 years ago we sailed Buenos Aires to Venice, via Rio De Janeiro, Salvador da Bahia and Recife in Brazil before five days at sea crossing the Atlantic Ocean to Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Cadiz, Malaga and Palma de Mallorca in Spain, and on to Valletta in Malta, Dubrovnik in Croatia before our final stop in Venice.

Last year we did San Francisco across the Pacific to Sydney, via Honolulu Oahu, Bora Bora and Papeete, Tahiti: Auckland, Napier and Wellington New Zealand and on to Sydney.

Next year we're off to Durban for a week that will include a safari. We try to include something on each end of the cruise. The Cruise Itinerary is Durban South Africa; Reunion; Mauritius; Seychelles; Pirate seas, Jordan, we're going to Petra; Egypt the Suez Canal; Katakolon Greece; Kotor Montenegro; Split Croatia ending up in Venice again.

Lots and lots of sea days in that lot and we love them too!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    NYC is certainly up there as one of the best places I have been to, will be there again soon too. Always fancied Australia and Hong Kong myself.
    Australia is great. They have a bit of everything. Melbourne gets a bit chillier, cairns etc is in the tropics, Perth and WA are like a continent of its own going from desert to wine growing regions. The wildlife is amazing, and best of all the folk, on the whole, are really nice. Wish I could live there.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

5 years ago we did New York to Los Angeles via Miami; Cartagena, Colombia through the Panama Canal to Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas (all Mexico) to Los Angeles.

Last year we did San Francisco across the Pacific to Sydney, via Honolulu Oahu, Bora Bora and Papeete, Tahiti: Auckland, Napier and Wellington New Zealand and on to Sydney.

Next year we're off to Durban for a week that will include a safari. We try to include something on each end of the cruise. The Cruise Itinerary is Durban South Africa; Reunion; Mauritius; Seychelles; Pirate seas, Jordan, we're going to Petra; Egypt the Suez Canal; Katakolon Greece; Kotor Montenegro; Split Croatia ending up in Venice again.

Lots and lots of sea days in that lot and we love them too!
    Nice wee pension you have there Jack! That's what slaving all these years is for though 😀

We went to Ecuador and the Galapagos last year and are fell in love with South America. Have you been to Argentina? We are torn between that and Costa Rica next year, just having a look just now but it's bloody hard to choose as they both look amazing!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Nice wee pension you have there Jack! That's what slaving all these years is for though 😀

We went to Ecuador and the Galapagos last year and are fell in love with South America. Have you been to Argentina? We are torn between that and Costa Rica next year, just having a look just now but it's bloody hard to choose as they both look amazing!
    Being retired means I've got lots of time to look for bargains and haggle :-) For example the total price of our next trip, hotels, flights, safari etc. is about 40% of the cruise only price in the brochure. A huge difference.

We spent a week in Buenos Aires before a trip. It was quite amazing. Great night life. Lovely parks. One thing I still can't get my head round is the Argentineans almost to a man will blank you if you mention Eva Peron! Doesn't even get a mention on the tours. Not just that but I felt a wee bit uneasy, under a cloud, not quite oppressed if you know what I mean while we were there. If you go there you'll have to find out how to access the Blue exchange rate, it's about 30% better than the official exchange rate and isn't difficult.

I was only in Costa Rica for a day, usual cruise stuff, up the jungle. I loved it the wildlife was amazballs and the people so friendly. They don't have an Army. Many years ago they thought they'd never win a war with anyone anyway so spent their entire defence budget on education, pinch of salt there I think. I think it illustrates how enlightened the country appears to be. Out of the two I'd go back there.
    Space to let

Petra is an amazing place and well worth a visit. I first went years ago when you got a horse and rode down to the place which sounds fantastic but the horses must have been the sorriest looking beasts of burden I have ever seen. On my subsequent visit the horses were gone, apparently due to tourist complaints. If you're in the area - go,

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Petra is an amazing place and well worth a visit. I first went years ago when you got a horse and rode down to the place which sounds fantastic but the horses must have been the sorriest looking beasts of burden I have ever seen. On my subsequent visit the horses were gone, apparently due to tourist complaints. If you're in the area - go,
    I think the horses are back, we've been offered it as an option. I was in Jordan 30 odd years ago and didn't make it to Petra, one of my few regrets and a major factor in choosing this cruise.
    Space to let