hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn’t agree more. Over the years I been frustrated with players, angry even, disappointed, cursed their name under my breath and yes, may over the years , have come on here and been critical of a player.. However I have never, never booed or jeered a Hibs player on or off the field. Just don’t get that, never will.

For that 90 minutes we are all one big team, good or bad.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Whittaker got it in the neck BEFORE he even signed - check historic threads. Some people (not everyone) don’t want to lose face: if Whitty plays well they won’t admit it, they will look for a reason to slaughter him. This ‘confirmation bias’ is evident on the internet and at the actual game. Yes, Whittaker misplaced one pass and was immediately met with a chorus of derision. But, he already had his confidence knocked when he was called in at half time. There were a few snorts and ‘aw naws’ from some around us in the East as they realised he was coming on, Its simple really, criticise constructively but desist with the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    He is a full back and if he’s not good enough to play there he shouldn’t be playing. Would you play a striker at full back if he was unable to play striker anymore? Don’t think you would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jesus, what a load of gash.

Left by mutual consent!
    I didn't expect the SW that played here years ago however I did expect better than what I have seen in last 12 months.

He has been for me at best average.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawick hibee View Post
    Over the last few season it's been a joy to watch and be part of the journey this club has been on. Relegation hit us hard but I think the club showed great courage, they backed the managers Stubbs at first and now Neil Lennon.
    Wounds from the dark years have healed the fans have come back it's been great that cup win, the songs, the atmosphere, the feel good factor is what has made it as so special.
    Please let's not get back to booing players who wear the jersey, that used to happen and it's never helped anyone play better!!!
    The recruitment I think has been second to none recently and Steven has and will continue to give his all. He brings experience and as a professional in and around HTC will be a great role model for the young lads who are trying to break through. Steven is a model professional and I want guys like him at my club no headlines in the papers just a really good guy.
    Steven I am sure will be the first say his form has dipped but get behind him and stop the booing or constant shouting crap at him when a pass is missed placed or a tackle missed.
    We as fans can lift players who's heads are down so back him/them.
    Over the last few season the old saying has never been truer " there is class, then there is Hibs class"
    Let's not get back to booing or shout crap at a player, that's not Hibs class!!!
    Rant over
    Here here spot on...I echo every word

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Booing or berating our own players is so counter productive. I don't understand why people feel the need to do it. I noticed it loads at the County match, and asked the question, do these balloons do it all the the time but are drowned out when crowds are bigger?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I wonder if the folks that openly admit to giving “abuse” to players were right behind the supposed stance of Butcher and Malpas towards the players? And we all know how that ended up.

The question for me is where as a support do we draw the line ? Even when Yogi came out to ask the elements of the support to give Nish a break as he was confidence player and it impacted him - folks persisted.

And finally take a look at Super Joes talk at St Pats. His experience would have broken a few it was awful to hear some of his not so good buts. Thank god for his sense of humour!
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Testimonial Due
    I noticed on highlights that it was a smart bit of play (trademark close control) that helped set up one of the goals.

Also, that absolute peach of a mcginnesque diagonal drilled in behind the full back to Boyle.

Whittaker is a good, solid and versatile squad player. Why he has become the latest victim of the know-nothing blow hards who seem to have to have someone to moan at is beyond me.

My original post was highlighting the fact that it's been a joy to come and watch this team over the last few seasons especially.
    Full houses signing and a togetherness that was missing for a long time.
    I always support whoever pulls on the jersey and will continue to do so whether I think he should be in the team or not.
    We all have opinions and you don't need to have played the game to voice them but FFS be positive about it and whilst they are on the pitch, back the team.
    You certainly don't get he is just a full back in modern day football, if you know football and at the very least you should if you want to shout about it, players need to play various positions and styles offensive, defensive phases. Gone are the old 4-4-2 days so aye a player like Whittaker is used in midfield not just as a full back. Boyle moves from winger to wing back at times for example!!!
    Comments about Lennon playing him is more worrying, infact unbelievable. I think we should be enjoying having Lennon here whilst he is, very lucky to have a manager of his stature here, again note Neil hooked Whittaker at half time so I think he knows what he is doing.
    Players have bad days or spells they don't mean it, we all have bad days.
    Back the team this Hibernian is something to be proud of from players to fans!!!!
    🇳🇬💚

There's no doubt that SW played very well when he came on against Ross County. Most of the people having a pop on this thread probably weren't even there to see it.

SW is a higlly experienced capable internationalist who has been unlucky with injury and match sharpness and has had a dip in form last season.

This season he came on late in Greece and now 2nd half on Sunday and played well.

We as fans need to be a little more tolerant. He came back to us not for the money but wanted to come back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    There's no doubt that SW played very well when he came on against Ross County. Most of the people having a pop on this thread probably weren't even there to see it.
    Wow what a supporter you Are. I bet everyone wishes they were as great a hibs fan as you. You realise some people work weekends aye? Or that some hibs fans may have forked out a fortune on season tickets and 3 midweek tickets in the last month. This "I'm a better hibs fan than you" theme that seems to be taking centre stage at the minute is worse than people being critical.

First Team Breakthrough
    I have no emotional baggage regarding SW like a lot of folk on this thread. He is not good enough to play for Hibs now. Too slow physically and mentally. If this was not an ex Hibs player who was great in the past then people would be less forgiving for sure. I'm interested in the Hibs team of today and from what I have seen he is nowhere near good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsquaker View Post
    I have no emotional baggage regarding SW like a lot of folk on this thread. He is not good enough to play for Hibs now. Too slow physically and mentally. If this was not an ex Hibs player who was great in the past then people would be less forgiving for sure. I'm interested in the Hibs team of today and from what I have seen he is nowhere near good enough.
    Well in this Hibs team of today he is very much a part of it!!! As I have posted if they are on the pitch support them we are Hibs supporters after all!!
    Booing a play (not saying you do) no matter what player it is does not and never will do them any good. Encourage, cheer sing their names they will be be encouraged and lifted by this.
    Aye in the past Whittaker was better but he still has a part to play on and off the pitch. Now we have a player that the people around HTC may learn from, on how to be a good professional and not end up on the George street VIP list....

@hibs.net private member
    Too slow mentally? Jeez, I've heard it all now. Sheer slavers.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Wow what a supporter you Are. I bet everyone wishes they were as great a hibs fan as you. You realise some people work weekends aye? Or that some hibs fans may have forked out a fortune on season tickets and 3 midweek tickets in the last month. This "I'm a better hibs fan than you" theme that seems to be taking centre stage at the minute is worse than people being critical.
    he makes a point though, if people werent there but are still having a pop at SW for previous games make their point invalid

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. Over the years I been frustrated with players, angry even, disappointed, cursed their name under my breath and yes, may over the years , have come on here and been critical of a player.. However I have never, never booed or jeered a Hibs player on or off the field. Just don’t get that, never will.

For that 90 minutes we are all one big team, good or bad.

Same here, never boo no point and doesn't help the team, moan and groan under my breathe sometimes yes.

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t think he is claiming to be a better supporter than anyone else. He is merely wondering if the critics were there to back up their criticism.

I thought SW played well on Sunday. Not an unreasonable statement from brooster and certainly not an uber fan statement.
    Last edited by PatHead; 21-08-2018 at 07:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    He makes a perfectly valid point if he has played well and that isnt taken into account if his critics werent there.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's a better fan than anyone who gave Whittaker stick on Sunday, why would anyone want to help the opposition by getting on our own players backs?

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    He just needs either the Since1875 Singing Section or the East Stand Singing Section (or both) to create a song for him. Otherwise he will end up like Dylan, finding out too late that he was appreciated by the majority of fans.

I always felt for Dylan having to listen to endless rounds of SJM when he was running the show in the middle of the park. Every player likes to feel their contribution is appreciated by supporters and if you are only getting negative feedback it starts to break down the bond between the players and the fans.

Anybody suggest a Steven Whittaker tune?
    Maybe they could name one of the Scottish snow ploughs “Steven Grittaker”?

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    I like Whittaker

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Don’t think he is claiming to be a better supporter than anyone else. He is merely wondering if the critics were there to back up their criticism.

I thought SW played well on Sunday. Not an unreasonable statement from brooster and certainly not an uber fan statement.
    Why would the fact he played well V Ross County change anyone's opinion up to that point that he hasn't been as good as he/she had hoped? SW has had other good games as well. As a whole regardless of the Ross County game IMO he has still been average at best. Him doing well on Sunday doesn't change my opinion on the previous 12 months. It will change if the performance on Sunday becomes the norm.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 21-08-2018 at 08:57 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    OK so he would getting even less leeway if he hadnt played for Hibs before, that is good to hear.

He is more than capable of playing in this team whether people think he wouldnt be a regular is fair enough though to say he isnt good enough is nonsense.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    OK so he would getting even less leeway if he hadnt played for Hibs before, that is good to hear.

He is more than capable of playing in this team whether people think he wouldnt be a regular is fair enough though to say he isnt good enough is nonsense.
    He's pony and only a blind man would say otherwise.

Booing on the other hand is not acceptable.

It is fair to say that the jury is still out on the extent to which SW can contribute to Hibs on the park over the remaining two seasons, justifiably so because of his well reported injury issues last season when he was called upon be a soldier and to play despite not being 100%. Give the boy a chance I say to show what he can do when not carrying an injury and trust in NL who is seeing a hell of a lot more of him than every single one of us to assess what he can still contribute to the team.

Then, as others have suggested, there is the benefit of what he can bring to Hibs off the park in terms of being a model professional. Maybe some more vociferous praise and respectful applause from the stands is needed to counter the elements who are so quick to get on his back.

Calm down to a panic please.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just out of interest, what are some of the reasons why you've concluded he's too slow mentally?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    He played midfield in the UEFA cup final. He also put in some great midfield performances in the run in last year. Home against Kilmarnock and away against Aberdeen.

10 years ago and was right midfield. He was 23 at the time.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Just out of interest, what are some of the reasons why you've concluded he's too slow mentally?
    In central midfield you can see he is not comfortable. Can be ponderous and you can see his decision making is slow. He is easily caught out when pressed. Probably a combination of his slowing body, lack of confidence and that he's not played regularly in that role. I really hope we have better options in that position when we play Hearts. Saying that, Aberdeen on Sunday is a worry.
    Last edited by hibsquaker; 21-08-2018 at 10:28 AM.