hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kevin Clancy

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The penalty was not 50/50 - it was stonewall.

That said he does seem to make consistently pish decisions against Hibs - the change of mind about a second yellow being a case in point.

Re Scottish refs in general I think they have a tendency to let niggly fouls slip and to be slow to reach for the cards. Though you could argue this was "letting the game flow" or that "it's a man's game", in reality it benefits hammer-throwing sides like Hearts while penalising teams that try to play football. All in all a tendency which is bad for Scottish football IMO.
    Totally agree too many of them allow the continual fouling and stopping of the game to go unpunished as you say something which is bad for the game as it doesnt flow.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Is that not a picturesque, quiet sleepy little East Lothian village?
    Most streets throw a BBQ in the summer. We gather round a burning Ford Fiesta. Winning.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeKay View Post
    Agreed. Stonewall penalty, but the word is that it was the linesman that spotted it - so Clancy can't even claim to have got that right.
    Don't think he posts on here, mate.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This is hilariously true. There’s been numerous occasions on which I’ve seen threads like this on both ours and our opposition’s pages simultaneously.

For people who think the refs are against us: what makes us right, and the Aberdeen fans (for example) wrong?

As a few have said, they’re just incompetent.
    No one on this thread is saying all refs in Scotland are against us, just Clancy??

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    No one on this thread is saying all refs in Scotland are against us, just Clancy??
    But we've also had Thomson and Beaton off the top of my head that are "against us" instead of just being **** refs

Not just Clancy who is a poor Muir Robertson ,Madden,Walsh and even McLean are inconsistent
    If they judged every decision the same way then we would have a lot less to moan about ,
    End of problem

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    But we've also had Thomson and Beaton off the top of my head that are "against us" instead of just being **** refs
    Thomson was though, for a few seasons.

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?378-Craig-Thomson

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Thomson was though, for a few seasons.

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?378-Craig-Thomson
    They all even themselves out over time though.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    They all even themselves out over time though.
    Fair enough. When we get awarded non-pen and have a player let off from red card for fore-arm smashing a Hearts striker in a Cup Final striker it'll be even.

One of the most annoying things about Scottish refs in their inability to let you take quick free kicks and play advantage. There was one on Sunday where he gave a foul while we had just passed the ball to Stevenson who was in acres on the left, I thought that he must have been booking him or else why would he pull the game up but no.

The ref for the Asteras home game was a great example of playing advantage and allowing quick free kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Fair enough. When we get awarded non-pen and have a player let off from red card for fore-arm smashing a Hearts striker in a Cup Final striker it'll be even.
    When saying they will even themselves over time that is on the other side of when hell freezes over.

When saying they will even themselves over time that is on the other side of when hell freezes over.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Totally agree too many of them allow the continual fouling and stopping of the game to go unpunished as you say something which is bad for the game as it doesnt flow.
    +1 here. It annoys the hell out of me in derbies when the ref takes the 'common sense' approach and keeps his cards in his pocket for bad challenges when there's only one team doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    +1 here. It annoys the hell out of me in derbies when the ref takes the 'common sense' approach and keeps his cards in his pocket for bad challenges when there's only one team doing it.
    Absolutely the last one at Tynecastle was shocking. Also Madden let too many away with late tackles in the one at ER.

I was in the West Stand, section 2, on Sunday, so had a very good view of the penalty. and it looked like Efe got the ball first. Is that not what happened?

Haven't seen a video of the incident yet, so relying others that have.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I was in the West Stand, section 2, on Sunday, so had a very good view of the penalty. and it looked like Efe got the ball first. Is that not what happened?

Haven't seen a video of the incident yet, so relying others that have.
    Looked like Efe took a heavy touch, lost possession and clattered the County player. Hibs have no complaints with that decision and NL said as much after the game....

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Looked like Efe took a heavy touch, lost possession and clattered the County player. Hibs have no complaints with that decision and NL said as much after the game....
    The key part of that sentence is 'Looked like...' From the camera angle, and the view from most of the spectators in the stadium, it is impossible to tell if there was contact or not. If there was contact before Efe got to the ball then it is a stonewaller. I don't think Clancy knew if it was a pen given the delay in awarding it. Presumably it was the lino who flagged, who in fairness, probably had the best angle.

On Clancy he has been involved in quite a few controversial decisions now which have gone against Hibs. The non-pen v Rangers at ER being a total shocker. For me, his body language when he refs against us is telling - he seems to take great delight in awarding decisions against us. I think he's got it in for us for some reason.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 21-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    To your boss, but not your customers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    A paying customer might look for an explanation of a screw up that is to their detriment That should be a minimum requirement in any business.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    The key part of that sentence is 'Looked like...' From the camera angle, and the view from most of the spectators in the stadium, it is impossible to tell if there was contact or not. If there was contact before Efe got to the ball then it is a stonewaller. I don't think Clancy knew if it was a pen given the delay in awarding it. Presumably it was the lino who flagged, who in fairness, probably had the best angle.

On Clancy he has been involved in quite a few controversial decisions now which have gone against Hibs. The non-pen v Rangers at ER being a total shocker. For me, his body language when he refs against us is telling - he seems to take great delight in awarding decisions against us. I think he's got it in for us for some reason.
    This is correct. I know him and he told me so.

Its cheating, you cannot get as many easy decisions with big consequences, wrong as often as some of them do, they are part of whats wrong with our game, because there are teams who play anti football by persistently fouling, at times viciously taking the footballers out, stopping the flow and flair of players at times, mostly when teams are attacking, in both types of examples it reduces the amount of excitement !! ...the real problem is that the governing body, is spineless and they are accountable to no one.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Its cheating, you cannot get as many easy decisions with big consequences, wrong as often as some of them do, they are part of whats wrong with our game, because there are teams who play anti football by persistently fouling, at times viciously taking the footballers out, stopping the flow and flair of players at times, mostly when teams are attacking, in both types of examples it reduces the amount of excitement !! ...the real problem is that the governing body, is spineless and they are accountable to no one.
    Totally agree, can’t blame incompetance all the time, just not possible to get so many things wrong or just overlooked

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Totally agree, can’t blame incompetance all the time, just not possible to get so many things wrong or just overlooked
    Agree as well. The laws of the game get muddied too much in the culture of the Scottish game. There are clubs who are trying be progressive and there others, along with the governing bodies, who are happy for the sport to remain agricultural. I don't mind games with a bit needle and the odd ding-dong but some fixtures are almost always as ugly sin. I'd start by drug-testing everyone who sits on the SFA, particularly for posh - start a cull.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    This is correct. I know him and he told me so.
    Didn't see the incident at the game. For the people around me it was fifty fifty between those who thought it was a pen and those who thought nothing happened. Having seen it it's a stonewaller.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I might be old school but played football for over thirty years -good bad or indifferent once ref has made his decision he is never gonna change his mind just accept it and get on with it.Same for all teams -breaks should hopefully break even over the season. There must be a case for 100% professional referees for the top tier in Scotland and the introduction of goal line technology if a ball crosses the line a buzzer goes off in refs ear.It pains me to say it but the Huns scored a good goal at Killie that was played on as if it was a kick about in a public park....and as for their pitch......???

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I might be old school but played football for over thirty years -good bad or indifferent once ref has made his decision he is never gonna change his mind just accept it and get on with it.Same for all teams -breaks should hopefully break even over the season. There must be a case for 100% professional referees for the top tier in Scotland and the introduction of goal line technology if a ball crosses the line a buzzer goes off in refs ear.It pains me to say it but the Huns scored a good goal at Killie that was played on as if it was a kick about in a public park....and as for their pitch......???
    Nobody in their right mind would turn professional referee for the wages that are paid. I'm not sure about the current group, but historically it was necessary to take lots of time off work to get to the top which meant they were typically white collar doctors accountants etc. To give that up for refereeing knowing that you will be finished at fifty is a lot to ask. And they will still make mistakes even if they are professional - look at the EPL......

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Nobody in their right mind would turn professional referee for the wages that are paid. I'm not sure about the current group, but historically it was necessary to take lots of time off work to get to the top which meant they were typically white collar doctors accountants etc. To give that up for refereeing knowing that you will be finished at fifty is a lot to ask. And they will still make mistakes even if they are professional - look at the EPL......
    Agree! Thankless task. Throughout history there have always been refs that have had it in for HIBS Bobby Davidson and Craig Thomson spring to mind and now Clancy seems to have a hidden agenda against Lenny especially perhaps they need help from the powers that be as I have already referred to goal line technology . There is also VAR but these innovations need money. I thought I read somewhere about a new TV deal being up for grabs in the Scottish game that might inject much needed funds that might help in this regard?

Bloody tragedy we've missed last Sunday's Scottish YouTubers charity game v. Stenny, in aid of the Scottish Association for Mental Health. (You can still donate to that on various Just Giving pages put up by the likes of Batchy.)
    This thread should have been a great fundraiser for it.
    Shows the scale of the work that needs done in that field.
    Maybe admins could merge this with the mental health thread on The Holy Ground board.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by EricStoner View Post
    Bloody tragedy we've missed last Sunday's Scottish YouTubers charity game v. Stenny, in aid of the Scottish Association for Mental Health. (You can still donate to that on various Just Giving pages put up by the likes of Batchy.)
    This thread should have been a great fundraiser for it.
    Shows the scale of the work that needs done in that field.
    Maybe admins could merge this with the mental health thread on The Holy Ground board.

This thread deserves to get to 10 pages, minimum. If we could cross-dress it with flags, referendums, bed wetting and loyalty schemes it could run forever.

In other news I feel that football matches without referees would, much like road junctions with non-functioning traffic lights, be much more satisfying and efficient spectacles. Just saying.

All you need to know about whether refereeing in Scotland doesnt have its issues was that the first Edinburgh based ref to get the Scottish cup final was after the competition had been running for 100 years. Sounds fair.