hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Matt Doherty

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yesterday he was halved by an England international in a game against a team who won the league a few years ago in England's top flight, one of the strongest leagues in Europe.

How have the respective careers of Roy O'Donovan, Isiah Osbourne, Pa Kujabi, Tom Soares, Garry O'Connor and Mark Brown gone since that fateful day?

He's done ok.
    I’m going to hazard a guess this is a good thing but I have absolutely no recollection of a guy called Roy O’Donovan even though he played 16 games for us according to Wiki!

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd like to think grown men aren't holding a grudge against me and hoping my career goes to pot.. when I think of all the silly things I said or done as a teenager. I mean I didn't do anything as outrageous as go to a shop the day after a losing cup final but I still behaved in a regrettable manner at times.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m going to hazard a guess this is a good thing but I have absolutely no recollection of a guy called Roy O’Donovan even though he played 16 games for us according to Wiki!
    Scored a peach of a goal for us IIRC - maybe against Kilmarnock?

@hibs.net private member
    Doherty acted like a total prick in the aftermath of that cup final and deserved the vitriol he got at the time for his idiotic and disrespectful comments.

A lot of water under the bridge since then though - and one Scottish Cup won by Hibernian. Hopefully he learned his lesson and some humility from the experience but ultimately I really could not give a toss. He's just a dim and distant piece of mediocrity from a long forgotten bad dream.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    What a weird thread to read first thing. Quite sad in some ways.
    Indeed. Think this thread should be kept as a reminder every time folk get high and mighty about this site compared to kickback. Funnily enough I'm sure some of the more "severe" reactions are posters I've seen making extremely derogatory remarks about the quality of posting over there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Indeed. Think this thread should be kept as a reminder every time folk get high and mighty about this site compared to kickback. Funnily enough I'm sure some of the more "severe" reactions are posters I've seen making extremely derogatory remarks about the quality of posting over there.
    Absolutely! MD was a 20 year old when he played for us in a desperate team. He played 13 games for us & scored twice, IIRC he opened the scoring in the vital relegation game versus Pars. Since then he's played nearly 200 games for Wolves, is a full cap & is playing in the EPL, not really mediocrity! He made some dumb comments 6 years ago, I read as much rubbish on here every day. Time to move on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Nowt wrong with Vardy's challenge. Good to see the conference side in him.

Watching EFL highlights is great fun for hearing familiar names from our darker years. Osborne scored at the weekend in League 1, while I heard a commentator describe Filipe Morais as a "livewire". Always interesting to see guys that don't hack it up here for whatever reason then go on to have good careers down south. Successful Scottish players failing down south is used as a stick to beat our game with but the inverse is rarely acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Watching EFL highlights is great fun for hearing familiar names from our darker years. Osborne scored at the weekend in League 1, while I heard a commentator describe Filipe Morais as a "livewire". Always interesting to see guys that don't hack it up here for whatever reason then go on to have good careers down south. Successful Scottish players failing down south is used as a stick to beat our game with but the inverse is rarely acknowledged.
    I really did think Osborne had the potential to be a cracking player, showed wee glimpses, just didn't have the desire.

I suppose this thread is a further indication of what we already knew - that we have some @rseholes in our support, but most are decent people with a sense of proportion and perspective.

Just like the vast majority of other football clubs, really.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Indeed. Think this thread should be kept as a reminder every time folk get high and mighty about this site compared to kickback.
    Was going to make a similar point myself when reading this thread.

Lets get some perspective here. To wish injury, or worse illness, on another human being over football is pathetic .. I have absolutely no time for that, none!

But sorry I'm not buying the daft laddie bit about Doherty either. As a guy who had played over 50 professional games before joining Hibs and being steeped in football since he was a youngster, by the age of 20 he absolutely must have been aware of what that game meant to the Hibs support ( to the fans of any club facing their derby rivals in a cup final ) its not as if there wasn't enough Hibs supporting players around the club, not to mention the saturation press coverage in the fortnight before, to ensure he was in no doubt as to what was at stake.

After the teams total capitulation, of which he was a part, he must have known there would be a backlash and the best thing to do was offer a grovelling apology and bugger off back to where he came from …. instead he chose to make comments giving the distinct impression that he couldn't have cared less about the result, about Hibs as a club or about its supporters who had been let down so badly.

As an event in the clubs history I do genuinely think the vast majority of Hibs fans have filed it away … I for one can barely remember a thing about the game, and I stayed to the bitter end, and I am pretty ambivalent even to the guys who did play that day. In all honesty they weren't prepared to be in a cup final and they were against a team that shouldn't have been on the park … all might not be forgiven, but time has tempered any ill will towards them. I could even be happy for any of the players who went on to have decent careers afterwards … they didn't mean to be rubbish on the day after all.

But not Doherty, he is right up there with Calderwood for me. I can tolerate poor players, I can tolerate poor managers … some folk just aren't as good as you hoped they would be either on the pitch or managing the team, that's football …. what I cant accept is folk who don't try or who disrespect the club and especially the folk who support it …. in 40 years only two people have fallen into that category and Doherty is one of them ….. so own goals galore please.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 20-08-2018 at 10:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post

Very true.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I remember ROD, but I had to look up George Francomb. Backs up Pretty Boy’s point earlier in the thread that 2010–2014 is a bit of a blur.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Honestly, why is this guy still of any relevance to some people?

Adults holding a petty grudge against a former footballer who was only here on loan and made some daft comments. He was like 20 ffs, get over it.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    Honestly, why is this guy still of any relevance to some people?

Adults holding a petty grudge against a former footballer who was only here on loan and made some daft comments. He was like 20 ffs, get over it.
    If we were still in mire then explainable. But we have risen like a Phoenix from the ashes to new highs. Personally don't give a **** about him. Bigger things to worry about.

@hibs.net private member
    The guy is a moron and a prat with no class whatsoever. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life - forget him and move on - he will never be class, never mind Hibs class

I was disappointed when I read the a lot of the comments at the beginning of this thread , disappointed but not surprised given some of the other comments I`ve read here about MD since he played for us . Fortunately a lot of the comments since have shown that most fans don`t hold a grudge about some comments that a teenager may have made after an important defeat .
    What is really sad is that he was a really good player for us who played a major part in us avoiding relegation and getting to our first SC final for 11 years while in his teens . At the time I thought he was our best right back for many years and certainly better than any we`ve had since ( aware that team set ups have changed over the years ) so not surprised that he seems to have done well since . Here there are often generalisations about managers and signings - to simplify , all signings by Mowbray / Stubbs / Lennon ... were good and all signings by Calderwood / Fenlon / Butcher were bad and Matt Doherty is a very good example of how that is simply not true . In most cases anyway , managers probably had less influence on signings than we think though in the case of MD I think Fenlon had known him for several years . Anyway , if MD goes on to have a successful career at club and international level I`ll be happy to remember fact he played for us and would welcome him back at ER any time .

Been tracing his genealogy and it turns out he’s Peter Houston’s nephew...

Quote Originally Posted by johncrobertson@ View Post
    The guy is a moron and a prat with no class whatsoever. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life - forget him and move on - he will never be class, never mind Hibs class
    I think he might manage to live with how things are going for him. He’s bound to have moved on better than some on here anyway.

Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I was disappointed when I read the a lot of the comments at the beginning of this thread , disappointed but not surprised given some of the other comments I`ve read here about MD since he played for us . Fortunately a lot of the comments since have shown that most fans don`t hold a grudge about some comments that a teenager may have made after an important defeat .
    What is really sad is that he was a really good player for us who played a major part in us avoiding relegation and getting to our first SC final for 11 years while in his teens . At the time I thought he was our best right back for many years and certainly better than any we`ve had since ( aware that team set ups have changed over the years ) so not surprised that he seems to have done well since . Here there are often generalisations about managers and signings - to simplify , all signings by Mowbray / Stubbs / Lennon ... were good and all signings by Calderwood / Fenlon / Butcher were bad and Matt Doherty is a very good example of how that is simply not true . In most cases anyway , managers probably had less influence on signings than we think though in the case of MD I think Fenlon had known him for several years . Anyway , if MD goes on to have a successful career at club and international level I`ll be happy to remember fact he played for us and would welcome him back at ER any time .
    Although I don’t agree with how highly you rated the guy in terms of his time at hibs, that’s a decent post. Sensible and honest.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I think he might manage to live with how things are going for him. He’s bound to have moved on better than some on here anyway.

Good grief.
    Totally agree with you, let’s move on!

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Possible. Some trace on high-res images of Houston

tomatoheid.jpg

of the full horns-and-tail set which Doherty apparently sports.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Scored a peach of a goal for us IIRC - maybe against Kilmarnock?
    Ayr away in the Scottish cup quarter final I think. Griffiths literally burst the net with a penalty as well if I remember correctly. Cracking day under the terracing.

Matt Doherty was never in a million years the best player in a shocking Hibs side. Actually preferred George Francomb at the time who incidentally now plays for Crawley town so what do I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Surely if that was the case then he'd have spent the aftermath of the cup final pissing and moaning about Hearts' Budget?

@hibs.net private member
    You've totally got to be joking - better than Sir David of Gray ?!?!? On pure footballing abilities I would heartily disagree anyway - but even if Doherty was a more capable footballer than SDG, from the evidence shown to this Hibs fan he has the heart of a maggot by comparison and all the leadership qualities of a discarded crisp packet. And as for class - how do you assess something which does not exist???

to MD - keep the OGs coming lols.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Why? For people expressing an opinion?
    For people wishing a career ending injuries on a player who is, at worst, irrelevant?