hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Doherty

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread is like stumbling onto Twitter. Horrific. Folk with no sense of proportion wishing ill health or injury on someone for something they said in the heat of the moment, six years ago, as a teenager.
    Yup. Poor patter.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The Villa fans must be thinking we’ve a split personality element amongst us...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

That period was one of the worst times to be a Hibs fan. Hearts spending money they 'would just pay back to themselves' under Romanov and lording it over us playing with tons of players shipped in on loan who genuinely did not give a **** about the club or the fans.

The thing with Doherty is he was just young and stupid enough to come out with what they were all feeling in the dressing room but it summed him up. He should have known how hurt the fans would be losing to Hearts like that in a cup final that we had not won in over a hundred years even if he was only 19 at the time.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Lock thread?

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Alex Cropley, Des Bremner, John McGinn and now an irrational and way over the top dislike of a Wolves player.

I bet they think we're cool as...

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Lock thread?

Why? For people expressing an opinion?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I thought he was a decent player but at the time, I much preferred Francombe. Obviously Doherty has gone on to have a much better career than Francombe so in hindsight I was wrong on that one.

He was a welt after that cup final. IIRC he didn’t get off to a great start either. I remember an interview he did with Hibs TV on the night he signed. Had a face like thunder as if he’d been forced to go on loan against his will and kept referring to us as Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Why? For people expressing an opinion?

Wishing ill health, serious injury or death is ok?

I just saw the highlights on Goals on Sunday. My thoughts -

The goal was hilarious and I cheered big time when it went in.

The tackle by Vardy was horrendous, and Doherty was lucky not to be very seriously injured. I got no pleasure from seeing that whatsoever.

You're looking at an expensively put together Wolves side, and Doherty's holding his own amongst some major signings at the top level. Fair play to the boy for carving out a very good career for himself.

I used to go for all of the "Doherty is this, Doherty is that" chat, until I sat and watched the video of what he actually said on the video, which was fairly innocuous (certainly compared the the s******ing and chuckling of O'Connor, Murray and the like). A few silly comments on twitter as a teenager whilst being subjected to a tirade of abuse by thousands of people who were clearly hurting.

He was poor on that day (as were many others) but he was a decent player for us who didn't lack commitment. It it wasn't for the likes of him, we may well have been relegated that year.

We need to let this go.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Nah they will probably be warming to us more, they hate Wolves

I don't agree with those on views, although I think they're more like to be stated for effect rather than genuinely held beliefs. Also, I don't recall anyone wishing actual death.

But these are opinions. Unsavoury, silly and not thought through -- in my opinion -- but opinions nonetheless.

Just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean they should be closed down.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I thought he was a decent player but at the time, I much preferred Francombe. Obviously Doherty has gone on to have a much better career than Francombe so in hindsight I was wrong on that one.

He was a welt after that cup final. IIRC he didn’t get off to a great start either. I remember an interview he did with Hibs TV on the night he signed. Had a face like thunder as if he’d been forced to go on loan against his will and kept referring to us as Hearts.
    I remember saying at half time that Francombe should be brought on for Kujabi as he was on a booking and was up against that diver Suso. 90 seconds into the second half and, well the rest is history.

@hibs.net private member
    Death?? Who has wished that on him?

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Death?? Who has wished that on him?

Wishing serious ill health on someone, could that be conceived to be fatal illnesses?

Couldn't stand him after his comments on that final. Hated him.
    But then, after seeing some of the comments on this thread, no, I didn't 'hate' him. He was a footballer who didn't want to lose a match, lost a match and then, at the age of 19 made some comments on TV and on Twitter which weren't brilliantly well thought out.
    Yes it was a big match. Yes it hurt (until 2016) and yes it didn't reflect well on him. But to wish him injury? No, that's not what I'd want at all.

Wishing serious ill health on someone, could that be conceived to be fatal illnesses?
    Only if you're prone to melodrama.

***** patter nonetheless of course

I started this thread. Didn't wish him harm or death or anything like that. Just delighted he scored an own goal.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    He also posted on Twitter the day after that cup final he was going up town for shopping.
    Shocking.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Fair play to Doherty.

After 2012 he's went on and had a great career. Doubt Hibs nor the fans bile will even bother him now.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Fair play to Doherty.

After 2012 he's went on and had a great career. Doubt Hibs nor the fans bile will even bother him now.
    You'll have to enlighten me. I read his wiki page and his career doesn't look that great. Especially for a guy so arrogant.

Average career shall we say?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    You'll have to enlighten me. I read his wiki page and his career doesn't look that great. Especially for a guy so arrogant.

Yesterday he was halved by an England international in a game against a team who won the league a few years ago in England's top flight, one of the strongest leagues in Europe.

How have the respective careers of Roy O'Donovan, Isiah Osbourne, Pa Kujabi, Tom Soares, Garry O'Connor and Mark Brown gone since that fateful day?

He's done ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Yesterday he was halved by an England international in a game against a team who won the league a few years ago in England's top flight, one of the strongest leagues in Europe.

How have the respective careers of Roy O'Donovan, Isiah Osbourne, Pa Kujabi, Tom Soares, Garry O'Connor and Mark Brown gone since that fateful day?

He's done ok.
    Getting halved by someone who has had a great career isn't the same as having a great career.

If you spin it enough he has done okay. He has never been as big a superstar as he seemed to think he was.

Still. Better than Kujabi will do him as an epitaph.

Getting halved by someone who has had a great career isn't the same as having a great career.

If you spin it enough he has done okay. He has never been as big a superstar as he seemed to think he was.

Still. Better than Kujabi will do him as an epitaph.
    How many players to have played for Hibs within the last 5-10 years will play in the English Premier League?

How many will hold their own in a big spending Premier League side?

How many will be first team regulars in the Championship for several years and eventually win that league?

Relatively speaking, that should now be considered to be a bit of an achievement and a good career, sadly.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Lewy never left his house for days after that final mate, Doherty was out on the ran dan hours after - Doherty couldn't lace wee Lewy's boots even if he was allowed to. How he's made it in the game is a mystery but more to do with circumstance and the money down there - him and GOC after the final were an absolute disgrace - hence I've not got one iota of time for O'Connor either
    So glad won the cup later and became our only double winner in history and his Scottish caps. He has gained a yard of pace and great delivery. Only 5 foot 7 but a tenacious battler. When saw him as a young player he reminded me of the Tornadoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    Matt Doherty is one of the few people I genuinely wish ill health and injuries on, absolute disgrace of a player and human being
    That's a seriously scary viewpoint mate - and even scarier is that it seems there are a few other people you wish the same for. If you get that worked up about football I dread to think what you're like about things that really matter in life.

He's loved at Wolves and a regular in a team that invested heavily over the summer, now playing in the EPL. "Great" is maybe pushing it in one direction, but so is "average" in the other.

Long may he continue to score comedy ogs though.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Matt Doherty is one of the few people I genuinely wish ill health and injuries on, absolute disgrace of a player and human being
    appropriate username

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Shocking.
    It is shocking. I had a cooked breakfast and a w*** the morning after that cup final. I didn’t feel the need to announce it on Twitter like that tosspot, Doherty, though.

Spot on.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I just saw the highlights on Goals on Sunday. My thoughts -

The goal was hilarious and I cheered big time when it went in.

The tackle by Vardy was horrendous, and Doherty was lucky not to be very seriously injured. I got no pleasure from seeing that whatsoever.

You're looking at an expensively put together Wolves side, and Doherty's holding his own amongst some major signings at the top level. Fair play to the boy for carving out a very good career for himself.

I used to go for all of the "Doherty is this, Doherty is that" chat, until I sat and watched the video of what he actually said on the video, which was fairly innocuous (certainly compared the the s******ing and chuckling of O'Connor, Murray and the like). A few silly comments on twitter as a teenager whilst being subjected to a tirade of abuse by thousands of people who were clearly hurting.

He was poor on that day (as were many others) but he was a decent player for us who didn't lack commitment. It it wasn't for the likes of him, we may well have been relegated that year.

We need to let this go.
    Totally agree with that. His attitude probably reflected the shambles the club was at that time. Were the players not arguing over (win bonuses - no s******ing at the back) the day before the game.