hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

James Fowler & Ian Murray

Notice on the BBC Scotland Sports web site comments from both
    1) Ian Murray saying Hibs have always been a wee bit short of quality

2) Fowler quoted as saying Scottish top tier on the same level as leaque 1 in England although Scottish clubs tend to compare themseves to Championship level.

Think the 2 of them lack a little class considering what Scottish football has given them both.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Nippy sweeties.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

2) Fowler quoted as saying Scottish top tier on the same level as leaque 1 in England although Scottish clubs tend to compare themseves to Championship level.

Think the 2 of them lack a little class considering what Scottish football has given them both.
    proably fair assessment. Top 6 in spl I’d think could stay up in the championship. Bottom 6 yeah a third tier of English fitba

Probably not far away from the truth I'd imagine.

But then we have the massive “if we had their tv money” argument. If hibs has the same tv money as teams in the English championship, I doubt we would of sold Mcginn, or demanded more, we could also offered McGeouch way more than we did. It’s not really a comparison imo.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45216901

Murray is really praising Lennon in this article, saying he has got the max from the squad and that Hibs need more investment in playing resources.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45216901

Murray is really praising Lennon in this article, saying he has got the max from the squad and that Hibs need more investment in playing resources.
    That’s how I read it too

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Ridiculous comment by Murray. Does he include himself in the lack of quality comment?

Left by mutual consent!
    Incredibly tiresome.

Dundee went down last year and roasted a team from league 1. The Scottish Premiership is a step up as described by a Motherwell player today.

He's at Sunderland so he has to say that. League 1 football is dross...they'd probably beat Livi or Hamilton but look at the size of the clubs.

If Hibs had the English TV revenue we would be a Premiership club, simple as that.

No-one will convince me that we're a smaller club than the likes of Huddersfield, Bournemouth and Brighton.

It's totally pointless to say that we would be League One standard in England. Maybe we would but when we're on a similar financial footing as League Two clubs in England then if we're League One standard then that's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Ridiculous comment by Murray. Does he include himself in the lack of quality comment?
    Wasn't Murray quoted prior to the tie as having scouted Molde for us and saying we had nothing to worry about? I don't recall him mentioning our lack of quality or how it would be a problem for us.

His comments are reactionary. He is no expert. Just another rent-a-gob ex-player.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    murray is a failed ex manager, was bang average as a player as well so would take what he says with a pinch of salt

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If Hibs had the English TV revenue we would be a Premiership club, simple as that.

No-one will convince me that we're a smaller club than the likes of Huddersfield, Bournemouth and Brighton.

It's totally pointless to say that we would be League One standard in England. Maybe we would but when we're on a similar financial footing as League Two clubs in England then if we're League One standard then that's pretty good.
    Starting to sound like Celtic and Rangers, in my opinion!

We have little or no chance of ever getting a bigger share of TV monies, as the EPL are the same as the Uglies,we are the biggest and the best, so we get the most money!!!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    That’s how I read it too
    I don't at best it is a back handed complement to mention Lennon before saying Hibs have always been short of quality. Just my interpretation.

Coaching Staff

Left by mutual consent!

You are not describing reality. It’s a bit like if your Aunty had .... she would be your uncle. Teams like Hamilton and livvy would probably be none league in England. Not sure crowds Brighton and Huddersfield get ? Comparable with us ? Just saw a tweet 15 years ago today we beat them in. Derby at ER. Crowd £14k

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

Murray is probably right, we are a wee bit short on quality otherwise we would have beaten Molde.
    As for SPL being same level as English league 1 again probably right the average club in our league is probably paying similar wages to league 1. Though that is due to Scottish football finances, Hibs are league 1 in comparison to player recruiting but are a much bigger club, if you look at crowd sizes, we had an average crowd of 18100 last season which was higher than all but one League 1 club last season (Bradford) and higher than 10 Championship clubs (Reading, Ipswich, Bolton, Hull, QPR, Preston, Barnsley, Millwall, Brentford, Burton)
    If we played in the English league on a level playing field we would be a good Championship club with a good crack at their premier league

@hibs.net private member

I don’t see how either comment is lacking in class, it’s just their opinion which the bbc have asked for. Does it even really matter??

as long as we get shafted from sky and have to compete on an uneven playing field we will continue to struggle. Why can the teams in the premier not get together about this (and the supporters), maybe with political help, and embarrass the companies doing this to us. I would also like to find out if this is a national thing, i.e. are the people making the decisions as to how the money is awarded are English as that is criminal.

Nothing more infuriating to me about football than this subject.
    Last edited by andybev1; 17-08-2018 at 06:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    The only comparison that is fair is surely with a similar sized country with similar TV revenue. Not sure what that country is though.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    The only comparison that is fair is surely with a similar sized country with similar TV revenue. Not sure what that country is though.
    Its a good point , I remember it being mentioned before and it was something like Norway or Belgium etc and they actually had less international coverage.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    You get roughly £170m a season in the premier league

Give any SPL team this amount of cash and then we’d see how well they’d do in Europe

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    You get roughly £170m a season in the premier league

Give any SPL team this amount of cash and then we’d see how well they’d do in Europe

We’d be brilliant.

Coaching Staff

1) Murray said Molde were nothing to worry about.

2) I wonder how well the Championship clubs would compare with the SPFL if they had to manage on an SPFL-style TV deal.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Murray is probably right, we are a wee bit short on quality otherwise we would have beaten Molde.
    As for SPL being same level as English league 1 again probably right the average club in our league is probably paying similar wages to league 1. Though that is due to Scottish football finances, Hibs are league 1 in comparison to player recruiting but are a much bigger club, if you look at crowd sizes, we had an average crowd of 18100 last season which was higher than all but one League 1 club last season (Bradford) and higher than 10 Championship clubs (Reading, Ipswich, Bolton, Hull, QPR, Preston, Barnsley, Millwall, Brentford, Burton)
    If we played in the English league on a level playing field we would be a good Championship club with a good crack at their premier league
    He said hibs have always been short of quality.

I’ll be honest, think the comments towards Murray lack a bit of class here. Nothing wrong with what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Wasn't Murray quoted prior to the tie as having scouted Molde for us and saying we had nothing to worry about? I don't recall him mentioning our lack of quality or how it would be a problem for us.

His comments are reactionary. He is no expert. Just another rent-a-gob ex-player.
    Yes. I remember that.

I then found his subsequent statement strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancehibs View Post
    You are not describing reality. It’s a bit like if your Aunty had .... she would be your uncle. Teams like Hamilton and livvy would probably be none league in England. Not sure crowds Brighton and Huddersfield get ? Comparable with us ? Just saw a tweet 15 years ago today we beat them in. Derby at ER. Crowd £14k
    Why not?

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are all big enough to say that if they had the financial backing that they get in England then they would be Premiership clubs along with Celtic and Rangers.

Sportsound have a history of getting "pundits" in when they are looking for a job.comments should be taken with a pinch of salt.nothing too see here.move on.Muppets the pair of them.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Exactly it’s a completely pointless comparison. If we had the money the top flight clubs in England have we’d be as competitive as most of the EPL teams. The thing people need to remember is that money doesn’t make you a big club, it makes you a small club with money to spend. You can then establish yourself and grow and become a bigger club, but the money alone doesn’t do that.

United we stand here....