hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Bartley

@hibs.net private member

Marvin Bartley

Thought he was doing okay until he got injured. Any word on how bad his injury is?

It is a position that we do not have any cover for and might hurry up a signing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Somebody put up in another thread he could be out for up to 8 weeks. He looked gutted coming off.

Lennon said post match up to 8 weeks so we are now even shorter in middle of park...few rabbits need to be pulled out a hat very soon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody put up in another thread he could be out for up to 8 weeks. He looked gutted coming off.
    If it's a hamstring he's out for a good while, bloody shame. As was me calling it a hamstering before I noticed. That wouldn't have been good either.......
    GG

@hibs.net private member
    Not good news when he had just started a run in the team.

Big big miss.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If Marv is out for 8weeks our back 3 are sitting ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    If Marv is out for 8weeks our back 3 are sitting ducks.
    Rocky
    McGregor
    Bartley
    McGeough
    Allan
    McGinn
    Barker

No wonder really

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Yes will be a big miss yet some were saying he was finished and not good enough on here a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Rocky
    McGregor
    Bartley
    McGeough
    Allan
    McGinn
    Barker

No wonder really
    In addition to those players, I don't think that Kamberi and Maclaren are up to anywhere near their performance level of last season.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    In addition to those players, I don't think that Kamberi and Maclaren are up to anywhere near their performance level of last season.
    Kamberi is clearly carrying an injury and maclaren has hardly played, the service they got last night was non existant, hopefully in the next few games we get someone in that midfield who can dictate play and get them involved

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Could be a blessing in disguise, we need better than big Marv in my opinion. Yes he's very good at breaking up play, but lets be honest here, he is poor when put under pressure on the ball, and gives us nothing going forward.

When we had McGeouch, he could get the ball in, retain it and recycle it quickly. Big Marvin takes an age to get the ball moving, because he's not that comfortable on it.

He's had some fantastic games for us in the past, although having the players around him that he had, made it easier for him.

Now i'm sorry, but we need better, we need someone much better in possession who can play under pressure, who can start things off and get round the pitch putting the opposition under pressure to by winning the ball and getting things going.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Could be a blessing in disguise, we need better than big Marv in my opinion. Yes he's very good at breaking up play, but lets be honest here, he is poor when put under pressure on the ball, and gives us nothing going forward.

When we had McGeouch, he could get the ball in, retain it and recycle it quickly. Big Marvin takes an age to get the ball moving, because he's not that comfortable on it.

He's had some fantastic games for us in the past, although having the players around him that he had, made it easier for him.

Now i'm sorry, but we need better, we need someone much better in possession who can play under pressure, who can start things off and get round the pitch putting the opposition under pressure to by winning the ball and getting things going.
    Totally agree.

We need Glen Kamara.

Left by mutual consent!

Agree. Marv was average in first division and slowed game down. Hence Lenny didn’t play him much last season

Blog Entries

I don't agree at all. I think he's fantastic at what he does and we look far better with him on the pitch. He sniffs out danger brilliantly and I can't ever remember him performing badly in a big game. He's had a brilliant start to the season and automatically made our back 3 look less shaky and freed up our other midfielders to go forward.

People focus on a supposed limited passing range. He gets it and gives it to the players with a better passing range. If he had a better one he'd likely be playing further forward.

Claude Makelele was arrguably the best holding midfielder in recent times. He certainly didn't have a great passing range. He just read the game, got it and gave it.

Playing Bartley for 80 mins in the home leg was one of the reasons we didn't take a lead to Molde. I can also see the merits in playing him last night, he would never have let the guy waltz through for the 2nd goal.

Blog Entries
    Kamberi is clearly struggling with the injury. Let's be honest, Maclaren is nothing but a poacher. If he's not scoring he offers little else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Playing Bartley for 80 mins in the home leg was one of the reasons we didn't take a lead to Molde. I can also see the merits in playing him last night, he would never have let the guy waltz through for the 2nd goal.
    He was one of the reasons they Molde didn't take a lead to Molde.

Molde didn't need (and didn't really try) to take a lead to Molde. On the other hand we really needed to take a lead to Molde.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Totally agree.

We need Glen Kamara.
    Genuine question on the clamour for Kamara. I remember him starting last season well but did he keep it up?

Can't remember much of him beyond early season. I could be wrong though.

Because they aren't getting anything like the service they were getting last year from Dylan McGinn and Allan - that's the issue. That and the fact both are clearly not 100% fit

Couldn't agree more...I love big Marv but he's so limited in possession and moving the ball forward severely restricts our creativity especially when playing a back 3 - we need better for certain

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I would stick Martin in until we sign another DM tbh. See what he can do. Whittaker isn't on form right now.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    On the contrary to other posters on here. I think big Marv has been doing ok lately indeed I would go as far to say the turning point last night was when he went off injured. We lost our holding player in midfield an intimidating presence in the middle of the park left our back three exposed and we had to change our shape. Our lack of strength in depth became apparent for all to see that weakness being another reason why Molde held all the trump cards imo!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    On the contrary to other posters on here. I think big Marv has been doing ok lately indeed I would go as far to say the turning point last night was when he went off injured. We lost our holding player in midfield an intimidating presence in the middle of the park left our back three exposed and we had to change our shape. Our lack of strength in depth became apparent for all to see that weakness being another reason why Molde held all the trump cards imo!
    I agree with you in regards to last night Billy but playing Marv in the home leg meant a real lack of creativity in the middle of the park - We always struggle to break teams down when we play Marv plus a back 3 - he doesn't offer nearly enough in a forward sense. Games like last night and the uglies away and tiny-castle are made for Marv but apart from those types of games we need something else in his place...and I feel bad saying that as I love the big guy.

@hibs.net private member
    Regardless of whether Marv is injured for a bit or not, Mulumbu is the man I want to see signed up. Marv is a big player defensively , however in games where dominate possession, I think it's better to have a player who can move the ball quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    I agree with you in regards to last night Billy but playing Marv in the home leg meant a real lack of creativity in the middle of the park - We always struggle to break teams down when we play Marv plus a back 3 - he doesn't offer nearly enough in a forward sense. Games like last night and the uglies away and tiny-castle are made for Marv but apart from those types of games we need something else in his place...and I feel bad saying that as I love the big guy.

The home leg was a decent result - our problems came last night.

We didn't defend well enough and were lacking in the final third.

When Bartley was on the park we were doing fine, and he wasn't remotely culpable for the goal.

He's a proper defensive midfielder, the type you need in these games and he stopped them making chances.

It is the job of other players to create, and they didn't do it.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I don't agree at all. I think he's fantastic at what he does and we look far better with him on the pitch. He sniffs out danger brilliantly and I can't ever remember him performing badly in a big game. He's had a brilliant start to the season and automatically made our back 3 look less shaky and freed up our other midfielders to go forward.

People focus on a supposed limited passing range. He gets it and gives it to the players with a better passing range. If he had a better one he'd likely be playing further forward.

Claude Makelele was arrguably the best holding midfielder in recent times. He certainly didn't have a great passing range. He just read the game, got it and gave it.
    Glad it's not just me, he's very good at what he does. I'm fed up with people focussing on his negatives. We looked less solid after he went off last night. He's there to do a job, which he does very well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The home leg was a decent result - our problems came last night.

We didn't defend well enough and were lacking in the final third.

When Bartley was on the park we were doing fine, and he wasn't remotely culpable for the goal.

He's a proper defensive midfielder, the type you need in these games and he stopped them making chances.

It is the job of other players to create, and they didn't do it.
    I don’t know what a proper defensive midfielder is but a good when takes ball from defence and links the play. Marv can’t do that. He was also lost for first goal as were others

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post

Agree! Last night was made for Marv you could see the Norwegian players if not afraid were apprehensive about Big Marv. In the first leg I reckon Lennys hand was forced as we had little other option he did not know what to expect from Molde and if it did turn into a physical battle Marv was already there safe to say if SJM had still been at the club he would have started with Marv benched just in case it did get physical