hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Not quite the same subject but why do our international youth teams do reasonably well and don’t look out of place at tournaments but this does not translate into success for the senior team?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough hibsitis's Avatar
    I've always assumed that, leaving aside a bidding war, the value of a player is a function of the time left on his contract and how much he's getting paid. SJM had only a year left and would have not been on a fortune at Hibs. But does this explain why we got around £3-4m for him and Molde got £7m for an 18 year old? It sounds as though their salary structure is much better than ours.

I'm gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do they not have a sugar daddy type bod who paid for their stadium? Bit of an extravagance but fair play capacity is 11k no?
    I’d imagine Livi’s cost a fraction (I know I know) and for only 1k less capacity.
    I was talking to quite a few Molde fans over there and they do indeed have a few extremely wealthy benefactors who put a lot of money the club’s way. Its a very affluent town and I’m sure there are plenty people there with a bob or two to spend.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I was talking to quite a few Molde fans over there and they do indeed have a few extremely wealthy benefactors who put a lot of money the club’s way. Its a very affluent town and I’m sure there are plenty people there with a bob or two to spend.
    The Aker Stadium was built 20 years ago and is named after their main benefactor who made millions in the North Sea Oil boom. The stadium is built to a very high standard and generates additional income from the letting of office accommodation.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Not quite the same subject but why do our international youth teams do reasonably well and don’t look out of place at tournaments but this does not translate into success for the senior team?
    This is the case and kind of negates the arguement that we are failing the youngsters through poor quality coaching? Add in the fact that we aren’t blessed with best physical characteristics in our genetics either.

Football is a strange game at times.Sometimes matches hinge on a few pivotal moments and then the tide is turned. We hit the woodwork three times, and fluffed a good few chances over two legs. On any other day we may well have scored a few ourselves.

I wouldn’t describe Molde as being “ so strong” to begin with.

I don't know the first thing about what goes on with youth coaching in this country, so don't really feel qualified to criticise.

There are surely countless great people the length and breadth of the country, talented coaches as well as volunteers who contribute a great deal of their time to Scottish football and must tear their hair out every time either our clubs or national team have a less than ideal result.

When Scotland were (relatively speaking) a force in football, was it because we had the best coaches and most resource ploughed into it? Or was it because per head of population we had loads of kids who played loads of hours of football, honing their skills naturally?

What major changes do we need to make to youth coaching in Scotland that will improve Efe Ambrose's defensive skills?

Molde are also owned by one of the two men who instigated Wimbledon's move to Milton Keynes. They are a stain on football and I wish them the very worst of luck against Zenit, hopefully their 10 fans who make the trip run into bother in St Petersburg too.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Molde are also owned by one of the two men who instigated Wimbledon's move to Milton Keynes. They are a stain on football and I wish them the very worst of luck against Zenit, hopefully their 10 fans who make the trip run into bother in St Petersburg too.
    Nice post