hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Toni Macaroni arena

On the back of the discussion of how bad the FF looks on the telly and the thread on Molde's stadium which has a plastic pitch, did anybody see Livvi's gaff on ALBA or Sportscene.

What a freekin' car crash … there was more rubber on the bloody pitch than plastic grass, every time the ball bounced huge clouds of rubber pellets flew up like mini explosions and any player going to ground emerged covered in tiny rubber pellets like a negative image of the bloomin' galaxy … chuck in the fact that the ball didn't appear to me, or the Sportscene pundits, to be acting anything like the way it would on a real pitch and it was as good an advert as you will ever see as to why artificial pitches should be nowhere near top flight football.

Then there was the crowd …. All of Livingston's support can be ( and is ) housed in the main stand, which looked reasonably well populated and it looked like Killie had brought a half decent support ( for them ) giving a crowd of around 2,500. The trouble was that apart from the 900 or so Killie fans on the far side of the ground the place looked close to empty because the 1,600 or so Livvi fans were all behind the cameras.
    The point being that with a little imagination it didn't have to … if Livvi can spend I presume something like half a million quid destroying their playing surface, why couldn't they have spent a few grand building a camera platform on top of the stand opposite the main stand … by doing that and housing away fans in one of the end stands they could at least give the impression that the ground is far fuller than it actually is.

It is notable that even though Hibs included a purpose built camera platform in the new East it is never used, I presume because the low sun that shines into the East for good bit of the season screws up the TV pictures. As a result we have sacrificed a good few seats in the main stand in order to have the cameras housed there. I would have thought that at least giving the impression that the good people of Livingston want to support their club would be as good a reason as any for Livvi to consider a similar move.

Apart from anything else, when the three non main stand stands are reasonably well filled when the big 5 come calling it would also make it look less like a bloomin' home game for those sides.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 15-08-2018 at 02:02 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the back of the discussion of how bad the FF looks on the telly and the thread on Molde's stadium which has a plastic pitch, did anybody see Livvi's gaff on ALBA or Sportscene.

What a freekin' car crash … there was more rubber on the bloody pitch than plastic grass, every time the ball bounced huge clouds of rubber pellets flew up like mini explosions and any player going to ground emerged covered in tiny rubber pellets like a negative image of the bloomin' galaxy … chuck in the fact that the ball didn't appear to me, or the Sportscene pundits, to be acting anything like the way it would on a real pitch and it was as good an advert as you will ever see as to why artificial pitches should be nowhere near top flight football.

Then there was the crowd …. All of Livingston's support can be ( and is ) housed in the main stand, which looked reasonably well populated and it looked like Killie had brought a half decent support ( for them ) giving a crowd of around 2,500. The trouble was that apart from the 900 or so Killie fans on the far side of the ground the place looked close to empty because the 1,600 or so Livvi fans were all behind the cameras.
    The point being that with a little imagination it didn't have to … if Livvi can spend I presume something like half a million quid destroying their playing surface, why couldn't they have spent a few grand building a camera platform on top of the stand opposite the main stand … by doing that and housing away fans in one of the end stands they could at least give the impression that the ground is far fuller than it actually is.

It is notable that even though Hibs included a purpose built camera platform in the new East it is never used, I presume because the low sun that shines into the East for good bit of the season screws up the TV pictures. As a result we have sacrificed a good few seats in the main stand in order to have the cameras housed there. I would have thought that at least giving the impression that the good people of Livingston want to support their club would be as good a reason as any for Livvi to consider a similar move.

Apart from anything else, when the three non main stand stands are reasonably well filled when the big 5 come calling it would also make it look less like a bloomin' home game for those sides.
    Why was their game abandoned last night?

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Why was their game abandoned last night?
    https://twitter.com/LiviFCOfficial/s...231286273?s=20

Looks like they’re claiming a deliberate power outage...

I despaired when Livingston were promoted. The epitome of a tinpot club.

The pitch looked worse than the pod I play 5s in on a Tuesday night. I’m not sure if it maybe takes a bit of time for it to settle but certainly looks worse than Kilmarnock or Hamilton. There is no place for plastic pitches in the top division. I also think it will hand Molde a massive advantage tomorrow night as pointed out in there home form.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    I despaired when Livingston were promoted. The epitome of a tinpot club.
    Just completely canned their entire youth academy, binning four or five full teams of young players, plus their coaches !! Guess you have to pay for both of the player/managers wages somehow !!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by tartanhibee View Post
    The pitch looked worse than the pod I play 5s in on a Tuesday night. I’m not sure if it maybe takes a bit of time for it to settle but certainly looks worse than Kilmarnock or Hamilton. There is no place for plastic pitches in the top division. I also think it will hand Molde a massive advantage tomorrow night as pointed out in there home form.
    That's what they're all saying. Also apparently it was only completed last week so is entirely fresh and the club forgot (?) To water the pitch, so the pellets weren't weighed down.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

At ER the main cameras are at the back of the west, but live matches also have a camera at the back of the east - pretty sure it's also far enough back that the sun isn't an issue
    ​#PERSEVERED

When i watched the "highlights" i thought it was water that was spraying up when the players kicked the ball but it was rubber pellets ! there was a close up of one player who had made contact with the surface and his face was plastered in rubber. this just looks a farce and how the SPL can sanction this is a mystery, every game played there will be a lottery.

Livi are a joke. Sadly, the SPL is just as bad also.

Is there not an issue about the composition of the 'pellets'?

I am sure I have read that there is a link to cancer and these type of pitches have been banned in the USA.

Any knowledgeable folk on here can perhaps elaborate.

Was there not some sort of cancer link with these rubber pellets. Sure I watched something on it where keepers at youth level were showing higher cancer rates than normal.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I hope their stay in the top division is over by May. Pretend football club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Was there not some sort of cancer link with these rubber pellets. Sure I watched something on it where keepers at youth level were showing higher cancer rates than normal.
    Pretty sure that was to do with the old style crumb rubber 3g.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Just completely canned their entire youth academy, binning four or five full teams of young players, plus their coaches !! Guess you have to pay for both of the player/managers wages somehow !!

along with Falkirk last season, and Clyde, Dumbarton this season with other clubs quite likely to follow suit, it's a pity because the Livi youths gave scottish football robert snodgrass, Dorrans and Leigh Griffiths

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Is there not an issue about the composition of the 'pellets'?

I am sure I have read that there is a link to cancer and these type of pitches have been banned in the USA.

Any knowledgeable folk on here can perhaps elaborate.

A couple of years ago there was a chap on radio scotland trying to create awareness of that very problem, his son who was a young goalkeeper had developed a rare cancer in his leg and he was close to 100% convinced it was due to diving about picking up abrasions from the astro turf pellets.

Apparently if the pellet manufacturers cut corners and and don't use total rubber, they can add in other cheaper material to bulk up the product.
    .....( a bit like a dodgy drug dealer you never know what's in there)

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    They ditched their youth teams because they were placed in the lowest tier of academy as part of Project Brave. Their chances of bringing elite players through to their team went to zero as bigger clubs would attract the players they attact now because the success of their set up.

This is the second thread inside a week complaining about another clubs size and/or fan base which I repeat seems more like a Hearts thing than Hibs. There's a club out there with a small but growing loyal group of fans trying their best to compete where those fans drawn from a huge in built Celtic Rangers bias(Hibs Hearts notwithstanding). That club has had problems in the past with some very shady owners but it working it's way back. Clubs like Hamilton and Livingston earn what they get regardless of facilities. We had our own debate around the new East and whether it would ever be filled. I'm sure hte new owners there would like to get there too.

All eyes will be on Willie Collum on Saturday to see if he deems the surface playable for their match with Motherwell - no doubt he will be under some pressure to give it a good going over before the game.

Just FYI we have Kevin Clancy as the man in the middle for the Ross County game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    A couple of years ago there was a chap on radio scotland trying to create awareness of that very problem, his son who was a young goalkeeper had developed a rare cancer in his leg and he was close to 100% convinced it was due to diving about picking up abrasions from the astro turf pellets.

Apparently if the pellet manufacturers cut corners and and don't use total rubber, they can add in other cheaper material to bulk up the product.
    .....( a bit like a dodgy drug dealer you never know what's in there)
    Depends how the crumbs are made. Recycled tires were common place, those contain toxic chemicals like mercury.

Played on countless variations of plastic pitches over the years and don’t mind them at all. I’ve played on far worse grass pitches in my time.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    All eyes will be on Willie Collum on Saturday to see if he deems the surface playable for their match with Motherwell - no doubt he will be under some pressure to give it a good going over before the game.

Just FYI we have Kevin Clancy as the man in the middle for the Ross County game.
    Neil better be on best behaviour then

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Neil better be on best behaviour then
    Is he back in the dugout?

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Is he back in the dugout?
    He was for Saints game

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    He was for Saints game
    He wasn’t

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He wasn’t
    Apologies wasnt there thought I heard him being interviewed on radio mentioning he was. Maybe a good thing if he still isnt with Clancy in charge

Apologies wasnt there thought I heard him being interviewed on radio mentioning he was. Maybe a good thing if he still isnt with Clancy in charge
    Press reports at the time suggested the ban was for our first three league games - not sure if it would also apply to the League Cup though? If not then NL is in the dugout on Sunday!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    He got 3 games, so should be back in the dugout for the Aberdeen game

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Everything about Livi football club is an embarrassment. They bring absolutely nothing to the top flight in Scotland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Everything about Livi football club is an embarrassment. They bring absolutely nothing to the top flight in Scotland.
    Same for Hamilton then?

What about St.Johnstone?

Don't see the hate towards Livi tbh, decent stadium compared to all the other "smaller" clubs, fairly easy to get to by train, bus or car, decent boozers nearby, promoted twice in arrow and won a major trophy in the last 15 years....
    Oh....... Maybe hit the nail on the head there..... 😁