hibs.net Messageboard

Work Christmas Night Out Venue

Alright.

I expected this to be a complete tumbleweed thread! Apologies in advance!

I’ve been tasked in organising a Christmas work night out for my team in Edinburgh. We’ve got a big department one the night before so we’re not fussed about the whole party venue night out.

Looking for suggestions of

Somewhere central in Edinburgh
    Lively
    Decent food (doesn’t need to be meal, even sharing food)

I’m thinking of Brewhemia or failing that grabbing a bit to eat of doing something like a gin tasting session then off to somewhere like that.

Another suggestion as we work close to it is Revolution bar in Chamber Streewt.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for a venue to go for during the week in the lead up to Christmas, maybe even a bit different, feel free to let me know.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We done Brewhemia last year and I thought it was awful.

Granted I was never likely to be a fan but the tables for food were right below the band so you were eating food whilst people danced around you. Service was slow, food was poor (undercooked roast potatoes the highlight), £5.95 a pint of poorly kept beer, the 'entertainers' were cringeworthy and it was just a bit crap. On the flip side a fair few women in the office thought it was great.

Not much help really other than to say avoid Brewhemia. 4 or 5 of us left early and just went on a bit of a pub crawl and had a great night. I understand it's logistically difficult for big teams but something sporadic just seems more fun to me. The forced fun of party nights or over planning of big sit down meals just annoys me. People spend so long talking about it that I'm sick of it before it starts.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We done Brewhemia last year and I thought it was awful.

Granted I was never likely to be a fan but the tables for food were right below the band so you were eating food whilst people danced around you. Service was slow, food was poor (undercooked roast potatoes the highlight), £5.95 a pint of poorly kept beer, the 'entertainers' were cringeworthy and it was just a bit crap. On the flip side a fair few women in the office thought it was great.

Not much help really other than to say avoid Brewhemia. 4 or 5 of us left early and just went on a bit of a pub crawl and had a great night. I understand it's logistically difficult for big teams but something sporadic just seems more fun to me. The forced fun of party nights or over planning of big sit down meals just annoys me. People spend so long talking about it that I'm sick of it before it starts.
    I’ve been to Brewhemia once and the prices are absolutely outrageous. Would never go back.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Been to Brewhemia once on a work night out, admittedly it was all paid for so can’t really comment on pricing but we had a fantastic evening and food was good enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Me and a few mates tried to get in after the Partick game at the start of last season and got rejected at the door. Granted, one of the group had football colours on so we kind of half expected it but the doorman who refused us took great pleasure in telling us that they don't allow fenians in

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    We were at Brewhemia last year, the theme was Alice in Wonderland, the music was good, costumed characters wandering around were good, food awful and overall the whole night was expensive for what it was.
    2 years ago we done the Hilton(Grosvenor) at Haymarket, which is handy for those coming from out of town. Welcome drink on arrival, excellent choice of menu (usual festive fayre), bottles of wine on the table and disco/entertainment afterwards. I reckon we're going back there this year!

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Alright.

I expected this to be a complete tumbleweed thread! Apologies in advance!

I’ve been tasked in organising a Christmas work night out for my team in Edinburgh. We’ve got a big department one the night before so we’re not fussed about the whole party venue night out.

Looking for suggestions of

Somewhere central in Edinburgh
    Lively
    Decent food (doesn’t need to be meal, even sharing food)

I’m thinking of Brewhemia or failing that grabbing a bit to eat of doing something like a gin tasting session then off to somewhere like that.

Another suggestion as we work close to it is Revolution bar in Chamber Streewt.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for a venue to go for during the week in the lead up to Christmas, maybe even a bit different, feel free to let me know.
    My deepest sympathy to you mate. Participating in organised "fun nights out" with work is far from my idea of fun so actually organising the jamboree would be my idea of hell. Whatever you do and wherever you go, some knobhead will always complain.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    My deepest sympathy to you mate. Participating in organised "fun nights out" with work is far from my idea of fun so actually organising the jamboree would be my idea of hell. Whatever you do and wherever you go, some knobhead will always complain.
    I had a few colleagues who were very disgruntled with me when I got tasked with organising it a couple of years ago. Told them I'd organise it if they wanted me to but there wasn't a chance in hell I'd be going.

@hibs.net private member
    This was the time of the year when my heart sank. The idea of spending my own money in others' company made my blood boil!

All year they said we shouldn't go to our own party because they hated our manager but lo and behold, they went.

Because I didn't I was the pariah. Even explaining that I would like to spend the money on my wife at Christmas.

I sound like Scrooge in August. Sorry folks. Merry Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This was the time of the year when my heart sank. The idea of spending my own money in others' company made my blood boil!

All year they said we shouldn't go to our own party because they hated our manager but lo and behold, they went.

Because I didn't I was the pariah. Even explaining that I would like to spend the money on my wife at Christmas.

I sound like Scrooge in August. Sorry folks. Merry Christmas...
    I’m the same. Never go to these things although nobody expects me to anymore. 10 years of working in the same place and I’ve never went to a Work night out. Don’t want to spend more time with the folk I already spend the majority of my week with.

Try the Hilton on North Bridge or angels share?

I’m self employed now I miss the works night out.

Depending on how many of you there are - the VooDoo rooms is pretty decent for fairly casual experience and they do sharing food too. I don't think the cost is unreasonable either. Been a few years since I was there right enough.

Vodka Revolution on Chamber st (may have changed names) hire out areas downstairs too.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    I’m self employed now I miss the works night out.
    For me its one of the best things about being self employed, I just go to the pub on my own now.......That and not having to do the secret santa...bah humbug

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    For me its one of the best things about being self employed, I just go to the pub on my own now.......That and not having to do the secret santa...bah humbug
    While I'm not against Christmas nights out and celebrations... that's the one thing I can never get into!! I take part every year just to avoid the hassle and accusations but it really is not for me.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Me and a few mates tried to get in after the Partick game at the start of last season and got rejected at the door. Granted, one of the group had football colours on so we kind of half expected it but the doorman who refused us took great pleasure in telling us that they don't allow fenians in
    Not surprising. Brewhemia made the news when they refused to let a gay couple in with the doormen stating “we don’t let people like you in here”.

We went a few months ago with visitors from Australia (one is Scottish and her husband is Australian). We were in a group of 6 (so 4 Scottish, one English and one Aussie). The only one to not get in was the Aussie. Stated reason was that he was “too drunk and likely to cause trouble”. Funnily enough he had the least to drink out of all of us and we reckon the “likely to cause trouble was some sort of Aussie stereotype.

Awful place.

Cheers for the advice folks.

I think we might end up doing a cocktail making maserclass at Revolution. Failing that there’s the glitterball at Murrayfield which goes against everything I believe in!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I hate works doo's especially xmas ones. Theres folk at work I cant stand so you'll be right enough if I'm going to spend a night out in their company and listen to their pish.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    The Voodoo Rooms. Classy joint, central, great cocktails, beers and wines, top food, multiple spaces / rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Depending on how many of you there are - the VooDoo rooms is pretty decent for fairly casual experience and they do sharing food too. I don't think the cost is unreasonable either. Been a few years since I was there right enough.

Vodka Revolution on Chamber st (may have changed names) hire out areas downstairs too.
    Boom! Co-Owned by some Hibees to I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    The Voodoo Rooms. Classy joint, central, great cocktails, beers and wines, top food, multiple spaces / rooms.
    I’ve never been to the Voodoo Rooms, I always had it in my head it would be a ****hole so it’s never even crossed my mind to go will need to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’ve never been to the Voodoo Rooms, I always had it in my head it would be a ****hole so it’s never even crossed my mind to go will need to give it a go.
    Ah alas, tis one of Edinburgh’s most classy establishments. Decor is uniquely stunning. Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Ah alas, tis one of Edinburgh’s most classy establishments. Decor is uniquely stunning. Highly recommended!
    I just had a look on google.. god knows why I had an image in my head of it looking like Espionage or the Hive when it looks like a ****ing palace

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Book a suite at the Hibs Club on the 15th of December, make it a themed leprechaun night and plan it to start around 18:00.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    We had the Jury's Inn off Market Street last year, it was excellent - so much so that we've already booked it for this year's night out.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Easter Rd is available - Sorted.

Depends on the size of your team; I had a work get together at Amber in the Scotch Whisky Experience on the Mile a couple of months ago and the food was really good.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It's not great. My work have been last 2 years. Food was quite good but everyone was crammed into a really dark room for the meal. We were sat on the stage, about a meter high, like the entertainment! Took ages to get served drinks in the bar. We went through to another room but it was a bit like a student union from the 90's.

3stars max