hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryder Cup 2018

Ryder Cup 2018

Not long to go before the teams are confirmed.

The US team have 8 of the 12 team members confirmed:

Bruce Koepka
    Dustin Johnson
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Reed
    Jordan Spieth
    Rickie Fowler
    Bubba Watson
    Webb Simpson

Pretty strong already with an in-form Tiger Woods to be added.

The Europe team looks like the following (based on the current Europe and World lists):

Molinari
    Rose
    Hatton
    Fleetwood
    Rahm
    McIlroy
    Noren
    Poulter

Both teams have four Captains picks. For Europe, you would expect to see four from Casey, Olsen, Garcia, Cabrera Bello and Pieters being considered

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Bruce Koepka
    Dustin Johnson
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Reed
    Jordan Spieth
    Rickie Fowler
    Bubba Watson
    Webb Simpson

The Europe team looks like the following (based on the current Europe and World lists):

Molinari
    Rose
    Hatton
    Fleetwood
    Rahm
    McIlroy
    Noren
    Poulter

Both teams have four Captains picks. For Europe, you would expect to see four from Casey, Olsen, Garcia, Cabrera Bello and Pieters being considered
    Your post is the first time I've realised Tyrrell Hatton isn't American, despite having a name that would instantly qualify him for citizenship.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

Bruce Koepka
    Dustin Johnson
    Justin Thomas
    Patrick Reed
    Jordan Spieth
    Rickie Fowler
    Bubba Watson
    Webb Simpson

Molinari
    Rose
    Hatton
    Fleetwood
    Rahm
    McIlroy
    Noren
    Poulter

Russell Knox will surely be considered as a Captain's pick, especially when he won the French Open over the same course that is going to stage the Ryder Cup. He should have been picked for the last Ryder Cup but was overlooked in favour of Lee Westwood who just happens to be Darren Clarke's buddy. Pieters form in particular has been poor this season albeit he performed well in the USPGA championship. Almost the same can be said for Cabrera Bello.

It's all to play for!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Russell Knox will surely be considered as a Captain's pick, especially when he won the French Open over the same course that is going to stage the Ryder Cup. He should have been picked for the last Ryder Cup but was overlooked in favour of Lee Westwood who just happens to be Darren Clarke's buddy. Pieters form in particular has been poor this season albeit he performed well in the USPGA championship. Almost the same can be said for Cabrera Bello.

It's all to play for!
    You're probably right - hadn't realised he won the French Open on the same course. I think that Casey, Olsen & Garcia are certain to be picked. Then it's one from the three mentioned Pieters, Cabrera Bello and Knox.

Left by mutual consent!
    You're probably right - hadn't realised he won the French Open on the same course. I think that Casey, Olsen & Garcia are certain to be picked. Then it's one from the three mentioned Pieters, Cabrera Bello and Knox.
    Eddie Pepperell and Andy Sullivan have been pretty solid on the tour and would be better picks than Casey despite winning one earlier in the year and Garcia who've both been fairly out of sorts recently. However, Casey and Garcia will probably be in because of their experience and profiles.

Olesen, Knox and Cabrera-Bello should be in the frame too.

Testimonial Due
    Have you deliberately left out Henrik Stenson in favour of the golfers above ?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Have you deliberately left out Henrik Stenson in favour of the golfers above ?
    Stenson has been struggling with an elbow injury and had withdrawn from this weeks tournament. He could be toiling to make the team. Would be a shame, as his partnership with Rose has been a fruitful one.

Do people feel patriotic about wanting Europe to win this?

I watch the American golf on Sunday nights a lot more than I watch European golf during the day, and I probably like the American players more than I like the Europeans as a result.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Stenson has been struggling with an elbow injury and had withdrawn from this weeks tournament. He could be toiling to make the team. Would be a shame, as his partnership with Rose has been a fruitful one.
    Yeah still think he'll make the team he could have played though wants to rest and recuperate.Huge loss if he doesn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I watch the American golf on Sunday nights a lot more than I watch European golf during the day, and I probably like the American players more than I like the Europeans as a result.
    To be honest I’m no bothered who wins.. don’t get me wrong it’s compulsive viewing and I’ll be glued to it but to answer your question no I don’t feel patriotic to anyone except Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Left by mutual consent!
    We got told to vote no to independence because Chris Hoy waved the union flag so I look forward to the remoanets telling us why English golfers waving the EU flag is a reason to stay in the EU.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Don't know if patriotic is the word for me but yeah I still want Europe to win. Partly because I am European but a lot also to do with how a lot of the American fans and pundits think golf over here is so poor. Nearly every Rider cup built up to be the favourites and love seeing them be beaten.

Does anyone know what time the morning groups are expected out on the Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Does anyone know what time the morning groups are expected out on the Friday?
    7.10 I believe. I thought it was going to be 6.30 but one of the boys at works has tickets.

Sky are advertising the programme as starting at 6.30 as well so 7.10 seems right.
    Last edited by 3pm; 28-08-2018 at 12:38 PM.

The American fans piss me off so much that it makes me patriotic for Europe in the Ryder Cup. It's a brilliant few days, looking forward to it.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    The American fans piss me off so much that it makes me patriotic for Europe in the Ryder Cup. It's a brilliant few days, looking forward to it.

Exact same reason why I am wanting Europe to win. I don’t really pay attention to golf at all as just find it boring but the Ryder Cup is a brilliant tournament. Very enjoyable few days

Matt Wallace as a pick? He didn't do himself any harm today at the Danish Open that's for sure. He played brilliantly when under the spotlight and I'm sure the watching Ryder Cup captain would have been suitably impressed.

Dane Thorbjorn Olesen secured the final automatic qualification spot in the European team for the Ryder Cup joining Francesco Molinari, Justin Rose, Tyrrell Hatton, Rory McIlroy, Tommy Fleetwood, Jon Rahm and Alex Noren had already qualified.

Pretty strong eight to be added to by four captain picks.

Watching the Miracle At Medinah highlights again. What a nice of golf that was!!

Matt Wallace as a pick? He didn't do himself any harm today at the Danish Open that's for sure. He played brilliantly when under the spotlight and I'm sure the watching Ryder Cup captain would have been suitably impressed.
    He's played some good stuff over the past few weeks (I backed him at the weekend and got him at some pretty decent odds).

There are a few rookies who have qualified automatically though, so Bjorn may go for "tried and tested" from his own picks.

"Tried and tested" haven't done as well as "form" in recent events though, so I'd be picking him, and I have a hunch Bjorn will go with what he saw with his own eyes.

Pretty good odds on Wallace being picked on Paddypower, certainly compared to the likes of Casey (who seemingly doesn't get on all that well with other players).

Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau have been chosen as wildcard picks for the United States team to face Europe in this month's Ryder Cup.

One more pick to come.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Poulter, Garcia, Stenson and Casey get the nod for the European picks. I guess Thomas Bjorn is putting a lot of faith in experience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45408328

Casey, Garcia, Poulter and Stenson.

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    Poulter, Garcia, Stenson and Casey get the nod for the European picks. I guess Thomas Bjorn is putting a lot of faith in experience.
    Happy with that. I think he had to go with experience given that we're playing probably the strongest American team for a few matches. Had we gone with loads of rookies then I would fear a big beating. With this more experienced team, I think the old juices will start to flow in the older players.

Bjorn has picked his pals.

They're not bad picks, Garcia has no form to speak of but the other 3 have all played well at times this year.

The automatic picks were rookie heavy so it's not a surprise, or an unreasonable thing to do.

I think the USA are nailed on to win now though.

Personally I think he's picked his mates, similar to the thinking employed by Clarke when he picked Westwood.
    Experience counts for absolutely zero if you're playing crap golf. On top of that Stenson's fitness must be a concern. It should have been Cabrero Bello and Wallace in my opinion.

Left by mutual consent!
    Happy with all the wildcards bar Garcia, four missed cuts in majors this year and struggled on PGA tour. Wallace would have been a gamble but I’d have taken him. The guy has had a great season. Stenson early season form was great, not so much now.

@hibs.net private member LALthehibeeGAL's Avatar
    Happy with that. I think he had to go with experience given that we're playing probably the strongest American team for a few matches. Had we gone with loads of rookies then I would fear a big beating. With this more experienced team, I think the old juices will start to flow in the older players.
    [QUOTE=Smartiea;5543687]Bjorn has picked his pals.

They're not bad picks, Garcia has no form to speak of but the other 3 have all played well at times this year.

The automatic picks were rookie heavy so it's not a surprise, or an unreasonable thing to do.

I think it is the right choice as you guys rightly say the auto selection is rookie heavy - and although Garcia has had an unusually bad season he oozes Ryder Cup experience and seems to manage to up his game I hope he does, he will be a good partner for one of the rookies same with Poulter who I can't stand really but think, bar Gleneagles, he is usually well up for this and again could be a good partner for the newbies - when he was picked for Medinah and many thought he wasn't up for it well that seemed to egg him on to prove his pick lets hope it's the same. Wallace, Knox, Peiters, Cabrero Bello are better individually and it is a tough decision but I think it is the right one and really hope they do what they do best when in the "Team Europe" mode and prove all the doubters wrong.

I love the Ryder Cup and one day hope to attend but alas nae dosh so it's the tv for me again this year.

Lal

Garcia has had a pretty stinking year, didn't deserve a spot in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Personally I think he's picked his mates, similar to the thinking employed by Clarke when he picked Westwood.
    Experience counts for absolutely zero if you're playing crap golf. On top of that Stenson's fitness must be a concern. It should have been Cabrero Bello and Wallace in my opinion.
    Actually outrageous Wallace is not in that side. Too much being made of the rookie situation from already qualified perspective. It’s a world tour these days and they have competed with the best players and obviously done well to be automatic picks. Stenson I get as he’s back playing. Can’t leave Poulter out as he’s been competitive this year too and us mr Ryder cup. Casey has been consistently up there most weeks. Garcia should be nowhere near it.