hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Ryder Cup 2018

  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually outrageous Wallace is not in that side. Too much being made of the rookie situation from already qualified perspective. Itís a world tour these days and they have competed with the best players and obviously done well to be automatic picks. Stenson I get as heís back playing. Canít leave Poulter out as heís been competitive this year too and us mr Ryder cup. Casey has been consistently up there most weeks. Garcia should be nowhere near it.
    I've no problems with the selection of Casey & Poulter but more than a tad disappointed with Stenson & Garcia.

    However I'm already looking forward to the end of the month - and glad the Saturday doesn't clash with a Hibs home game!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do people feel patriotic about wanting Europe to win this?

    I watch the American golf on Sunday nights a lot more than I watch European golf during the day, and I probably like the American players more than I like the Europeans as a result.
    Nope - in fact I was all ready to back USA this year until Garcia got picked

    Cannot stand Hatton and will not be cheering him on under any circumstances.

  4. #33
    I see that Tony Finau has been given the final pick.

    It looks a very strong US Ryder Cup team. However, when you look at World Rankings, ours is not that far behind. Much closer that we've had in previous years and we still won it with what looked like weaker players.

    The World Rankings of the European Team is:

    Justin Rose (1)
    Francesco Molinari (5)
    Rory McIlroy (6)
    Jon Rahm (7)
    Tommy Fleetwood (12)
    Alex Noren (16)
    Paul Casey (19)
    Henrik Stenson (23)
    Tyrrell Hatton (26)
    Sergio Garcia (29)
    Ian Poulter (34)
    Thorbjorn Olesen (44)

    Whilst that of the US team is:

    Dustin Johnson (2)
    Brooks Koepka (3)
    Justin Thomas (4)
    Bryson DeChambeau (8)
    Rickie Fowler (9)
    Jordan Spieth (10)
    Bubba Watson (13)
    Patrick Reed (14)
    Tony Finau (15)
    Webb Simpson (17)
    Tiger Woods (21)
    Phil Mickelson (25)



    We've got four players with a lower World Ranking that the US lowest. However, as I noted before this has always been the case, and Europe has still won it. In fact. I was a bit surprised to see that our lowest ranking is an upwardly mobile Olesen at 44.

    Also interesting to note that the only European golfers who have a lower World Ranking than Olesen to miss out is Rafa Cabrera Bello at 30 and Matthew Fitzpatrick at 38.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 13-09-2018 at 06:35 AM.

  5. #34
    Coaching Staff frazeHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Queensferry
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,264
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Really looking forward to this. A shame it's not an International weekend as will miss all of the Saturday play going through to Paisley.

  6. #35
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope - in fact I was all ready to back USA this year until Garcia got picked

    Cannot stand Hatton and will not be cheering him on under any circumstances.
    I can't stand Hatton either, and I'm not a big fan of Justin Rose.

    It's not an English thing, as my two favourite golfers currently are Eddie Pepperell and Matt Wallace. Pepperell especially is a really likeable player and I wish the two of them had been picked.

    For some strange reason I loved Barry Lane when I was wee. I think it's because he gave me a golf ball at the Scottish Open at Gleneagles and was also a really pleasant guy to meet.

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't stand Hatton either, and I'm not a big fan of Justin Rose.

    It's not an English thing, as my two favourite golfers currently are Eddie Pepperell and Matt Wallace. Pepperell especially is a really likeable player and I wish the two of them had been picked.

    For some strange reason I loved Barry Lane when I was wee. I think it's because he gave me a golf ball at the Scottish Open at Gleneagles and was also a really pleasant guy to meet.
    Nor for me (English thing) as I actually don't mind Rose at all. I've never taken such a quick and strong dislike to a player as much as Hatton however!

    Never used to like Poulter either but I guess I've kind of warmed to him a little. Tommy Fleetwood is a golfer I've plenty of time for, seems to be the real deal as well as a really likeable guy.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nor for me (English thing) as I actually don't mind Rose at all. I've never taken such a quick and strong dislike to a player as much as Hatton however!

    Never used to like Poulter either but I guess I've kind of warmed to him a little. Tommy Fleetwood is a golfer I've plenty of time for, seems to be the real deal as well as a really likeable guy.
    It's all about the team and less about the individual players but I agree with what you've said. Justin Rose in particular seems a classy pro and I'm delighted he's reached the heady heights of world number 1.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    48,835
    Obviously i want us to win, and we do have some great players in our team, but i really fear we could get pumped this time.

    The yanks are all playing well, and most of them seem to be up there in every tournament these days. I suppose playing in Europe will be a slight advantage, but i'm looking at their team and i just see a much stronger in form team.

    Although, with it being a team game you never know, but i'd like us to be a few points up going into the singles.

  10. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's all about the team and less about the individual players but I agree with what you've said. Justin Rose in particular seems a classy pro and I'm delighted he's reached the heady heights of world number 1.
    Yeah youíre right but getting passionate about Europe against America is just something Iíve never got into, for all I enjoy the tournament. Iíve just only really ever backed golfers as individuals.

    And now Iíve got money on USA so no question where my support lies next weekend :)

  11. #40
    Less than a week to go, but all eyes on the Fedex. Not sure that it's ideal preparation for the first Ryder Cup. Eleven Americans playing, but many well off the pace and it's going to be a long weekend for them.

    DeChambeau is having a nightmare. Koepka is last and Reed, Mickelson and Bubba also well down the leaderboard.

    I'm starting to feel more confident about the Ryder Cup.

  12. #41
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,481
    I was watching some of the Portugal Masters yesterday, and I still cannot believe that Bjorn would take Garcia ahead of Pepperell and Wallace who have played some great stuff so far.

    Some of the European players (especially theEnglishmen) are doing well over in the USA though, and as you say some of the Americans look out of sorts. Tiger has been impressive again though. It would be a big statement if he managed to put 4 rounds together this week.

    Hopefully this will improve the odds on the Americans who I plan to lump on this week.
    Last edited by Smartie; 22-09-2018 at 08:18 AM.

  13. #42
    Tiger six under after seven holes. He's on fire today.

  14. #43
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,481
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tiger six under after seven holes. He's on fire today.
    He looked a bit tired over the last 4 or 5 holes, but that was still an immense round of golf.

  15. #44
    Less than four days to go now to the action starting. What's everyone's views on who's going to win it.

    A few weeks ago, I thought an easy USA win. Now I feel Europe will sneak it. It's going to be close. It's going to be fun.

    Can't wait.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved