hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's exactly what they are. No more or less important than any other season ticket holder or person who shells out their hard earned cash to watch Hibs at ER every second week.
    Agreed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

IMO Hibs reluctance bordering on stubbornness to address this situation is doing the club no favours whatsoever. No matter where they have been or where they are now the bottom line is that the singing section, the ultras, Since 1875, whatever you want to call them should be located in the FF lower and that whole section of the stadium should be given over to them. This area should be a showpiece for what watching football at ER is all about and projecting ER as a noisy colourful place to watch football.

Its exactly that image which encourages many undecided youngsters to choose one club over another, and the rise in 'fan culture' surrounding Hibs over the last few years is a very big factor as to why there is at least anecdotal evidence that currently more youngsters are choosing to support us over Hearts. Its a vital cog in the machinery of growing the club, especially in the face of competition from across the city and we ignore it at our peril. That's why far from trotting out reasons for why the singing section shouldn't be located in the FF lower Hibs should be busting a gut to make it happen.

I tell you right now that if I was the owner of Hearts I would very much be looking at this situation with interest, to the point where I would have pencil and back of fag packet in hand drawing up plans to rip the seats out of the Gorgie stand and replace them with rail seats as soon as possible. The importance of fan culture and experience in drawing support to your club might ( thankfully ) be lost on an auld sweetie wife like Mrs Budge, but she wont be there forever and the time for Hibs to strike is now on what is a far more important factor in winning young hearts and minds than we appear to realise.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Hopefully this gets resolved.

Personally I thought it was a reasonable thing to try but with 13.5k seasons sold I can see why the club may not see it as the way forward.

One thing that seems to be missed (and happy to be corrected) but Since1875 are a bit more than a singing section.

I thought they raised cash for the displays last year and coordinated their set up.

Iconic banners from recent years; Time for heroes, Natural Order? (others also have done banners)

Corteos? Marches to the ground.

They are not the whole support but have done lots that have given the club some iconic moments. Hopefully that gives them something in the credit tin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Ryan View Post
    The current location of the singing section is rubbish. I sit in Section 42 and I can look across and see all of them clapping and hear absolutely nothing. The other issue is that there is nowhere for the singing to travel too, on the left is a wall, on the right is the (planned) corporate seats and in front is a family section that is half full on most match days.

When the main aim of the group is to make the atmosphere better and you give them, what I would class at, possibly the worst section in the whole ground to do this you can see why they are frustrated.

Moving them to the front would mean the sound travels further and would also increase the number of folk willing to join thesection. I was close to moving there this season but because it’s such a poorlocation in the ground we kept our seats in the east.

There has to be some give and take by the club, they movedthem the first time because of the issues with smoke bombs and flares that werenothing to do with the members within the singing section, then made them listevery member before games when sitting at front of east and now moved them awayinto the back corner. I can see why the group would take things into their ownhands as when they have left it up to the club they’ve been given a raw deal.
    A commonly held belief, but do you have any evidence to back up that statement?

Noise waves travel omnidirectional - i.e. travel in all directions. When these waves hit an object, for example the back, side or roof of a stand, they are reflected off that object. It is likely that noise from the bottom of the FFL stand will travel upwards and not be reflected towards the rest of the stadium (in addition to that which naturally is transmitted towards the rest of the stadium). Whereas similar noise transmitted from the FFU stand is more likely to be transmitted towards the rest of the stadium (it hits the stadium roof and is reflected downwards towards the rest of the stadium.

Now, I'm no expert, but that's what I've always understood.

One point maybe missed in all of this interesting discussion is the type of songs sung by the Singing Section. The Kamberi song, whilst brilliant does not have the basic football fan chant that is loud and get's everyone singing. You could say the same about Boyle's Starman and others. When the fans of the bigots sing "Hello, Hello" the basic chant/noise is much more intense than the Kamberi song. The "We are Hibernian FC" is a much more powerfully sung song. As is "We've got McGinn" and "Allez.......", whilst I would state that "Hibs, Hibs........" is more neutral. So back to my point, the Singing Section might be jumping about singing "Kamberi, Kamberi etc", but no-one in the East can hear it because it doesn't have that powerful lyrics.

All IMO

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    IMO Hibs reluctance bordering on stubbornness to address this situation is doing the club no favours whatsoever. No matter where they have been or where they are now the bottom line is that the singing section, the ultras, Since 1875, whatever you want to call them should be located in the FF lower and that whole section of the stadium should be given over to them.

2,000 seats for about 100 Fans?

Yeah, great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    IMO Hibs reluctance bordering on stubbornness to address this situation is doing the club no favours whatsoever. No matter where they have been or where they are now the bottom line is that the singing section, the ultras, Since 1875, whatever you want to call them should be located in the FF lower and that whole section of the stadium should be given over to them. This area should be a showpiece for what watching football at ER is all about and projecting ER as a noisy colourful place to watch football.

Its exactly that image which encourages many undecided youngsters to choose one club over another, and the rise in 'fan culture' surrounding Hibs over the last few years is a very big factor as to why there is at least anecdotal evidence that currently more youngsters are choosing to support us over Hearts. Its a vital cog in the machinery of growing the club, especially in the face of competition from across the city and we ignore it at our peril. That's why far from trotting out reasons for why the singing section shouldn't be located in the FF lower Hibs should be busting a gut to make it happen.

I tell you right now that if I was the owner of Hearts I would very much be looking at this situation with interest, to the point where I would have pencil and back of fag packet in hand drawing up plans to rip the seats out of the Gorgie stand and replace them with rail seats as soon as possible. The importance of fan culture and experience in drawing support to your club might ( thankfully ) be lost on an auld sweetie wife like Mrs Budge, but she wont be there forever and the time for Hibs to strike is now on what is a far more important factor in winning young hearts and minds than we appear to realise.
    You're wasting your time. The club won't look at it , probably because it's alot of work to arrange but I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    A commonly held belief, but do you have any evidence to back up that statement?

Noise waves travel omnidirectional - i.e. travel in all directions. When these waves hit an object, for example the back, side or roof of a stand, they are reflected off that object. It is likely that noise from the bottom of the FFL stand will travel upwards and not be reflected towards the rest of the stadium (in addition to that which naturally is transmitted towards the rest of the stadium). Whereas similar noise transmitted from the FFU stand is more likely to be transmitted towards the rest of the stadium (it hits the stadium roof and is reflected downwards towards the rest of the stadium.

Now, I'm no expert, but that's what I've always understood.
    I only have anecdotal evidence, but when in the Championship sides like Morton, Falkirk and others would come to Easter Road and sound very loud with about 500 fans in the South Stand Lower, certainly loud enough for me to hear them in the north half of the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Yeah, great idea.

The phrase 'build it and they will come' mean nothing to you?

And besides, there's already a good 200-250 in the current singing section block, and that's with them being allocated in the worst part of the ground to create an atmosphere. Hopefully moving them into a much more desirable slot would have the intended effect of drawing more people to join them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Nobody has to ask permission to sit anywhere but they want to sit in a massive group so need to work with the club. If they choose they can individually sit where theres a free seat the same as I can.

No thought given to all the people who were booted out their seats to accommodate them last season and theres two I know of who still havent found suitable seating because of one of their health issues. And no thought given to the existing ST holders who would have to stand and hold their kids on Sunday?

I also dont understand why theyd want to trial something that they arent considering?
    So I’m not allowed to buy tickets for me and 20 pals to go toER? We have to buy them individually? If there’s a seat available then they should be able to be purchased by anybody.

Those STH were put out by the club, not the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Yeah, great idea.

A 6,000 capacity stand when we only have average crowds of 9,000 ? ………… Peeeetrie

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    So I’m not allowed to buy tickets for me and 20 pals to go toER? We have to buy them individually? If there’s a seat available then they should be able to be purchased by anybody.

Of course they can. Just not in a section which is a designated family stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    So I’ll go back to my original point, I guess there will be the same uproar when the hearts game comes along and those resold seats go on sale and are sold to adults to buy?

So I’ll go back to my original point, I guess there will be the same uproar when the hearts game comes along and those resold seats go on sale and are sold to adults to buy?
    Good point. If those seats are released do Hibs only sell them as kids tickets?

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    But that section was available to anyone on Monday morning so that scenario could have happened and still could if they buy walk ups on the day.

Have to say this is what really gets me with situation. The club was in a position on Monday where for example 100 folk visiting Edinburgh for the fringe or a stag do that have never been in ER in their life could have walked up and sat in there on Sunday. Yet a bunch of our own support who all have ST try something innovative to create a bit of atmosphere at a game that could easily have the lowest attendance of the season have been stopped and threatened with consequences if the dare try.
    Last edited by Heedersnvolleys; 15-08-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Fair point. I think Hibs have stated this should not be allowed without purchasing a kids concession ticket too

@hibs.net private member

Of course you are but you'd be lucky to get 20 seats together thats not in the designated family stand so would probably have to talk to the club about it