hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boyle or Sproule

Having a debate with a mate over who is/was ‘better’ for Hibs.

Two speed merchants who take on the full back with the slightest invitation and both have chipped in with important goals and assists for Hibs in their time at the club. Obviously, Boyle doesn’t have a standout moment like Ivan’s hat trick at Ibrox but for me I think Boyle has been a big factor in a better Hibs team over the past 2 years.

Just a friendly debate, but I’d be interested to hear peoples views.

2. Log in to remove the advert

As much as I loved Ivan, it's got to be Boyler for me.
    He has improved so much over the past year, almost a first pick for Lennon.
    As a player he is just getting better and better.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I loved Sproule and think that out of the two, he was faster.

However I think Boyle is the better player. For me, his level of consistency puts him head and shoulders above Sproule.

Ivan was way faster than Boyle, however Boyle is the better all round football player.

EZ

I think Boyle is a better player, but Sproule was possibly more affective. He was just so quick he absolutely terrorised defenders. Boyle getting better all the time though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ivan was great - that hat-trick plus you could see he loved playing for us. Boyle, I have to admit I wasn't too keen on when he first arrived, I thought he was a bit of a 'Headless-chicken' - but the near 100% improvement in his play has me opting for him over Ivan !. That improvement, for me, showed his determination/attitude to do well playing for Hibs and in this day and age, is a rarity in modern-day footballers !

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Loved Ivan but that’s partly due to the fact you weren’t sure what was coming next. Boyle for me, his consistent improvement is great to see...We have a gem.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Loved Ivan too’ but Martin Boyle has been brilliant in the last year. If he keeps on improving we’ll end up toiling to keep a hold of him!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    boyle by a long way now, gets better and better each week

Would I take Ivan back at his rapid best for us now, in place of Boyle in our current team?

After much deliberation, I refuse to answer the question

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loved Ivan too’ but Martin Boyle has been brilliant in the last year. If he keeps on improving we’ll end up toiling to keep a hold of him!
    Have to agree with this. I just think that martin is the better footballer and is improving all the time.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Boyle by a country mile.

They were maybe on a par when Boyle first joined us but he’s clearly an intelligent guy and has taken on board the evidently brilliant coaching that Lennon and the team have given him. He’s improved his game far beyond anything Sproule was capable of.

Boyle hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Would I take Ivan back at his rapid best for us now, in place of Boyle in our current team?

After much deliberation, I refuse to answer the question
    I wouldn't take Ivan back over Boyler for the fact that Boyle brings more to the table for me in the sense that he can play a variety of positions effectively (CF, RW, RWB).

Love the pair of them, though!

Boyle must be one of the best value signings ever made and for me edges it over Ivan, who at times was under-rated as a footballer as well. Both really good Hibs players.

Quite surprised there hasn’t been more interest in Boyle from England - reckon he’d do well down there but glad we’ve kept him👍

Lenny has turned Boyle into a player worthy of a Scotland call-up. Boyle by a distance.

Just look at the market value of Boyle on Transfermarkt. https://www.transfermarkt.com/martin...spieler/140554

Since Lenny joined, Boyle has went up £500k in value, to £750k according to them.

I’ll go against the majority a bit here and say Ivan. At his peak he’d turn games and get you up out your seat in a way Boyle doesn’t. Ivan was faster too. Boyle has a long way to go to equal Ivan’s status.

None of this is a criticism of Boyle by the way. They were both inspired signings.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Boyle, definitely - as much as I loved Ivan.

Ivan was a good finisher and Boyle is perceived not to be, but at 25 he's already scored 25 goals more than Ivan managed in his whole career. 36 of Boyle's goals were as a forward for Montrose though.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    I’ll go against the majority a bit here and say Ivan. At his peak he’d turn games and get you up out your seat in a way Boyle doesn’t. Ivan was faster too. Boyle has a long way to go to equal Ivan’s status.

None of this is a criticism of Boyle by the way. They were both inspired signings.
    As great as that hat trick at Ibrox was, Boyle is a Scottish Cup winner with us. More of a legend than Ivan, IMO.

Ivan for THAT hat-trick .... and he bleeds green.

Boyle overall and the great thing is he is still learning and getting better. He has improved significantly since his arrival and Long may that continue

First Team Breakthrough Ginger Gehagan's Avatar
    Think Ivan was quicker over the first 10 yards but I'd back Boyler to beat him over a longer distance, and he's a much better all round player. Loved Ivan to bits but some of his attempted left foot passes were comical, and the less said about his heading the better!!

Sproule was electric to watch in full flow and got me off my seat more often and was probably the more direct of the two. I reckon Boyle thinks about what he's doing before either coming inside or racing down the line. I wouldn't trust either 1 on 1 with a keeper. Boyle is the better player but I would go for sproule was more exciting

Love Boyle but Ivan for me.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    It's like choosing which one of your offspring you prefer - impossible

Left by mutual consent!

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    I would say Martin Boyle is a far superior player to Ivan Sproule. Martin has improved immensely through the coaching he has received at Hibs. Ivan had speed when played on the wing but ran with his head down which resulted in wasted balls to no one in particular. He was a tidy finisher though and used his pace to great effect one particular afternoon in Govan! Martin Boyle will at one stage move on to a bigger club but Ivan's big move was to Bristol. He never reached the heights of his first spell at Hibs either.

Ivan did things that Boyle dreams about doing. No contest sproule all day long

First Team Regular
    Love them both but Arthur Duncan for me 😁

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    In terms of pace and finishing, I’d go with Ivan. In terms of all round footballer then it has to be Squirrel. Both fantastic players for Hibs.