hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Title challenge

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can’t challenge for the league by losing players like McGinn and McGeouch every time we have a good season. Doesn’t look like Hearts will keep hold of Lafferty, and Aberdeen have lost McLean, Hayes etc over the years. That’s what enables the Old Firm dominance.

Even if we got 2nd this year, we’d lose our best loan players to Championship sides or back to their parent club, and have to start the rebuild all over again. To cause an upset, you need to retain a quality core squad over a number of seasons, not sign a new group of players every summer and hope this year is your lucky break.

The only way to ever be a contender (besides a mysterious benefactor) would be to qualify for the Europa League continuously for a number of seasons. That would eventually put us on a bit more of a level playing field financially, and bridge the gap between us getting the same amount of gate money for 3 home matches that Rangers can get in just 1.

The reason Leicester were able to win the league was because the huge TV money payouts have meant any additional revenue from gates, shirts, sponsors etc. that the big clubs made over them was rendered peanuts in comparison.
    On Microsoft news this morning, teams in the EPL could afford to play to empty stadiums, as the invested monies into the game is so BIG???
    It has been said for years, that football has been taken away from the true fans by monied organisations, and the EPL is fast becoming the apocalypse of football for the mere football fan!!!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I think an upwardly moving Rangers will take a downwardly moving Celtic pretty close to the title this season. Pretty good battle for third spot between ourselves and Aberdeen and possibly Hearts (Im personally not convinced about their resurrection despite their good start) Dont rate Killies chances personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Yip those were the days, but still no league title.
    Yep. Ian Printy has a lot to answer to!!
    Solely responsible for the demise of our beloved club over the past 45 years.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    our title challenge ended last sunday, trust me

3rd/4th or 5th is still on though

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I think an upwardly moving Rangers will take a downwardly moving Celtic pretty close to the title this season. Pretty good battle for third spot between ourselves and Aberdeen and possibly Hearts (Im personally not convinced about their resurrection despite their good start) Dont rate Killies chances personally.
    I think 2018/19 is gathering like the end of rangers 9inarow sequence, where the 2 Glasgow sources of social unrest become so obsessed with each other that they take their eye off the ball long enough to open up a chink of daylight for a third team to run them close.

here's hoping that is hibs this year

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    In 72-73 I have the feeling we finished around 6points away from Celtic. Some of those games I remember. Could have sworn the Arbroath loss was in the cup at ER?

Just shows that even the best team wince the early 50’s managed some poor results against minnows, never mind our not common league demolitions v Celtic. There was also a certain 4-1 defeat to Hearts in September 1973, my first derby match. Another loss to a wee diddy team.

In 72-73, we finished 3rd, 11 points behind second placed Rangers. The following two seasons we were second, then 75-76 we finished third again.

Sadly the wheels came off our wagon the following season (76-77) and we finished 6th. That's also the year we lost to Arbroath in a League Cup replay at Easter Road (1-1 away, 1-2 at home)

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Yip those were the days, but still no league title.
    Just like Jan-summer 2018...

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    I think 2018/19 is gathering like the end of rangers 9inarow sequence, where the 2 Glasgow sources of social unrest become so obsessed with each other that they take their eye off the ball long enough to open up a chink of daylight for a third team to run them close.

here's hoping that is hibs this year

I like your thinking.

I feel positive and want that to continue. At the moment all is going well for us and we are where we want to be.