hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Title challenge

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Title challenge

With Celtic not looking as invincible as they used to be, I notice the media are now plugging the line that this could be Steven Gerrard FC's year. Is it just me who thinks that they're once again overlooking the fact that us, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and (as much as I hate to say it) Hearts are almost or even as strong as Rangers are? We ran them close and Aberdeen actually finished above them (not that anyone in the MSM actually seems to want to admit to it), Kilmarnock have been in title-winning form in 2018 and have only lost one player, and Hearts have clearly strengthened given their win over Celtic.

If Rangers are capable of winning the league then the rest of the top six are as well. If things go the way they're going then this could be the most open Premiership in years.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not sure if your being serious or not . If you are il have some of what your smoking

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if your being serious or not . If you are il have some of what your smoking
    Why not though? What divine right do Rangers have to challenging for the title that the likes of us and Aberdeen don't?

@hibs.net private member
    Celtic will cruise the league again. There seriously can't be anyone, other than the delusional at Ibrox, that thinks otherwise.

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MC_Humo
    One more crap result for Celtic and Lawell will just open up the cheque book. If it doesn't happen now it'll happen in January

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Why not though? What divine right do Rangers have to challenging for the title that the likes of us and Aberdeen don't?
    Iv watched a few of the Rangers games and they have a better team than the likes of us or Aberdeen . Aberdeen took over an hour to get a shot in against them with 10 men at home . Nothing to do with divinity just the reality of it

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Iv watched a few of the Rangers games and they have a better team than the likes of us or Aberdeen . Aberdeen took over an hour to get a shot in against them with 10 men at home . Nothing to do with divinity just the reality of it
    They've certainly started well, and look like a significant upgrade on last season.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    The thing I noticed about Rangers on telly is that they are all big lads, the majority are 6' plus. They are also a lot fitter than previous Sevconian teams.

We will never challenge for the league as long as we keep dropping silly points like yesterday.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Try the last 34 years for starters.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    They've certainly started well, and look like a significant upgrade on last season.
    I think Rangers will get 2nd relatively comfortably this year unfortunately, but I'm not sure they'll be able to close the gap on Celtic.

The fight between Aberdeen, us, Hearts, and Killie is where I think we'll end up having to focus on - and if any other team goes on a magical run of form to challenge (ala Killie last year).
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I don't think it's a ridiculous as some are saying. I'm not saying Celtic won't win the league but it's not ridiculous to suggest that it might be close when you consider that Celtic didn't win the league until after the split so we potentially have an exciting finish to the league.

I definitely agree with the main point on the OP, if the media are going to suggest rangers can run Celtic close then they should be including Aberdeen, ourselves and Killie in that too as we were all very similar form wise in 2018.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    We will never challenge for the league as long as we keep dropping silly points like yesterday.

We will never challenge for the league as long as rangers and celtc have a huge financial advantage. I think people underestimate what it’d take for a club with a strict budget to actually win a title.

Other teams also want to win games they aren’t just there for us to beat.

I don’t know how there can be unhappy hibs fans at the moment, this is the best period of supporting hibs in my 35 year life despite it starting with a relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I think Rangers will get 2nd relatively comfortably this year unfortunately, but I'm not sure they'll be able to close the gap on Celtic.

The fight between Aberdeen, us, Hearts, and Killie is where I think we'll end up having to focus on - and if any other team goes on a magical run of form to challenge (ala Killie last year).
    Celtic are on the verge of a full blown crisis . Players on strike , Brenda's getting huffy , Broony looks either injured or his legs have gone and their defence is a shambles . The huns meanwhile have been galvanised , look well organised and hard to beat . I see them giving Sellick a good pumping in the 1st Glasgow Derby 3 or 4 nil

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Celtic will cruise the league again. There seriously can't be anyone, other than the delusional at Ibrox, that thinks otherwise.

They didn't really cruise it last year though! You just need to beat the rest and hope that 1 or 2 teams take points off Celtic. Aberdeen are always murder v Rangers, that's another scandal.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    I have to admit I was shocked how terrible Celtic looked at tynecastle. Celtic should have a starting 11 of players that would walk into every other SPL team. And yet they have players like Koussi, Hendry starting who wouldn't. Sinclair and Brown looked awful also.

Rangers will get at least second this year. They have built a good team sadly. Morelos will score a lot and that Coulibaly looks a good find. They are also strong in the wingback positions.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Celtic will win the league by at least 8 points I reckon.

IMO we wont be challenging until were out of Europe, as I think that will take its toll.I have a feeling the Dons will struggle this year if their last two games are anything to go by, Huns will start to pull away from us as they have a deeper squad. We will b fighting for 2nd by the end of season with them. Hertz, no chance.

I don't get how Celtic have spent £25M plus taken 2 multi-million pound Premiership players on loan and they can't win 100% of their league matches ... with the gulf between them and the rest, an unbeaten season is the least you'd expect. They should have a 100% win record. If we were to spend £10M on players with Lennon in charge i'd expect the league title.

A season without Champions League money for either of the ugly sisters would be fantastic for Scottish football.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Celtic are on the verge of a full blown crisis . Players on strike , Brenda's getting huffy , Broony looks either injured or his legs have gone and their defence is a shambles . The huns meanwhile have been galvanised , look well organised and hard to beat . I see them giving Sellick a good pumping in the 1st Glasgow Derby 3 or 4 nil
    The first derby being at Celtic Park will probably work to their advantage. Had it been at Ibrox you might have been on to something with a Sevco win.

Admittedly, defeat to AEK could put the cat amongst the pigeons (although they would still have Europa).

Their title challenge will be back on track when they sign McGinn in January for £50k.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hibs won't get anywhere near Rangers this season.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    With Celtic not looking as invincible as they used to be, I notice the media are now plugging the line that this could be Steven Gerrard FC's year. Is it just me who thinks that they're once again overlooking the fact that us, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and (as much as I hate to say it) Hearts are almost or even as strong as Rangers are? We ran them close and Aberdeen actually finished above them (not that anyone in the MSM actually seems to want to admit to it), Kilmarnock have been in title-winning form in 2018 and have only lost one player, and Hearts have clearly strengthened given their win over Celtic.

If Rangers are capable of winning the league then the rest of the top six are as well. If things go the way they're going then this could be the most open Premiership in years.
    Nope

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Stone View Post
    They didn't really cruise it last year though! You just need to beat the rest and hope that 1 or 2 teams take points off Celtic. Aberdeen are always murder v Rangers, that's another scandal.
    They did. At no point was there a title race on.

They'll comfortably do it again, Rangers will probably be 2nd but way behind. Us, Aberdeen and Hearts will battle it out for 3rd.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The league will defo be more competitive this year.

If we can all take points off Celtic then then I agree that this could be a very close thing.

No reason why us, Hearts and Aberdeen can’t put in a good challenge.

Can't see anyone bar Celtic winning it. As for us, its a catch 22 situation. Longer we are in Europe then our league form will suffer. If we do make the group stage of the Europa I don't think we'll be close to top 3.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Surely there is nobody out there who actually thinks we can make a title challenge?

What planet are these people on? We cant keep anyone who's decent enough for this to ever happen, and unless we suddenly double our crowds, start getting into the Champions league (not qualifying rounds) which cant happen unless you win the league, why would anyone even contemplate this?

Sevco have got their act together on the park more, i think they will take 2nd spot easily now and close the gap on Celtic, as they are in a little turmoil, but they are the only club with a genuine chance of getting closer.

Aberdeen with much more to spend than us have been 2nd now for how many years?

Finance dictates most of what happens in the game in Scotland, and we are miles off being able to attract players good enough for a sustained challenge of the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    They did. At no point was there a title race on.

They'll comfortably do it again, Rangers will probably be 2nd but way behind. Us, Aberdeen and Hearts will battle it out for 3rd.
    Celtic won it by 9 points, for a £25M investment, that's not comfortable IMO.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Hibs won't get anywhere near Rangers this season.
    That’s the spirit.⚽️🤪

I don't think we'll be anywhere near 2nd never mind winning it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    That’s the spirit.⚽️🤪
    Do u think Cleanyman typing his opinion on a message board will have any bearing on how the team performs this year?