hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McDiarmid Park

Testimonial Due
    Much the same experience here, parked in that overflow car park as soon as you got off the slip road but then ended up having to walk all the way round to get in and missed 25min.

Over the wee fence after as well... the traffic lights at the bottom were farcical for getting out of the vicinity.

Catering/toilet set up farcical as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn’t there but it sounds like something the fans’ reps should be taking up.
    Absolutely good call mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Why was the blue gates at the car park entrance not open?

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Promising Youngster
    we were also in newish looking car park just off slip road, linked to a crematorium. Right next to blue gate and 30 sec walk to gate to get into ground and police make us walk a complete 360 round the ground, got into ground at 1528.. was a joke and my auld man completely scunnered so we won’t be back to Perth. They don’t deserve the income.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Were issues not compounded by the crash on the M90 reported around 1pm on Radio Scotland?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Were issues not compounded by the crash on the M90 reported around 1pm on Radio Scotland?
    No there was no accident around the stadium it was the shambles of a new slip road plus locked gates not allowing easy access to car park that caused all the issues

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    There was an accident on the A9, which BBC reported. Also tail backs at the Kelty roadworks on the M9

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Got there 12.30 parked in the housing estate opposite, a few beers in the supporters bar under the main stand. Back to the car after the game stop off at the CO-OP for a carry out and back in Dalkeith for 6.05pm.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Now this this is so something folk are entitled to be seriously peeved off at today. Absolute joke.

Still Hibs fans getting in at half time.

That isn't the grounds fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I wasn’t there but it sounds like something the fans’ reps should be taking up.

Both were at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    That isn't the grounds fault!
    Eh?
    I think when you come off the slip road next to the ground 50 minutes before kick off you reasonably expect you’ve left in plenty time. They should have a measure in place to get folk in quicker on match day. 4500 crowd and folk having these problems?

Eh?
    I think when you come off the slip road next to the ground 50 minutes before kick off you reasonably expect you’ve left in plenty time. They should have a measure in place to get folk in quicker on match day. 4500 crowd and folk having these problems?

To be honest most folk made it into the ground before kick off. We all know how bad McD park is for getting in and out. The roadworks in the area didn't help, this should have been completed before the start of the season.

To be honest most folk made it into the ground before kick off. We all know how bad McD park is for getting in and out. The roadworks in the area didn't help, this should have been completed before the start of the season.
    St. Johnstone and the authorities have to know that a late proportion of the crowd park in the stadium car park. To have this situation where you need to go all the way round the ground at snail pace with traffic lights up ahead is scandalous.

Yes, there are other places to park but even some kind of heads up from the club would have been appreciated. Like I say- almost an hour from the slip road to the car park. All the road signs for ‘football stadium’ lead you this way.

All I can say is that there were big gaps in the crowd as I was getting in after kick off.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Got there 12.30 parked in the housing estate opposite, a few beers in the supporters bar under the main stand. Back to the car after the game stop off at the CO-OP for a carry out and back in Dalkeith for 6.05pm.

How smug did you feel posting that then?

Not everyone is able to make a dawn departure for every away game. I was aware I left it late (left home just after 1pm) and was ready for missing the KO if things went pear shaped but to get into the overflow car park at 3:04 and then have to walk 20 minutes to a turnstile which was 25 yards away from the road is a bit off don't you think? They didn't have to open the whole gate, simply opening the pedestrian gate would have been fine. It felt like more of a punishment for daring to use your initiative and park in the Crematorium overflow to try and get in to the ground as quickly as possible.

Bit of common sense from stewards/plod would (as usual) have gone a long way......

Quote Originally Posted by HibbySpurs View Post
    How smug did you feel posting that then?

Not everyone is able to make a dawn departure for every away game. I was aware I left it late (left home just after 1pm) and was ready for missing the KO if things went pear shaped but to get into the overflow car park at 3:04 and then have to walk 20 minutes to a turnstile which was 25 yards away from the road is a bit off don't you think? They didn't have to open the whole gate, simply opening the pedestrian gate would have been fine. It felt like more of a punishment for daring to use your initiative and park in the Crematorium overflow to try and get in to the ground as quickly as possible.

Bit of common sense from stewards/plod would (as usual) have gone a long way......

I have to agree with the poster, left Edinburgh at 12:30 bit of a queue at the ground, parked in Tesco ,got in the ground no bother, got a pie before kick off, looked at the facilities thought it would be a nightmare at half time.

no smugness just used my heid and left a bit earlier like every away game.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    They've been working on that bypass for over two years. New slip Road ready before a season starts won't have been a consideration. Been stuck in traffic round Perth around 5 a couple of times and it's far warose than Edinburgh.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Asked on another thread but no answer as yet, where do St Johnstone get their pies from? It was answered before in a thread last year but I cant find it. The pies are absolutely brilliant.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Asked on another thread but no answer as yet, where do St Johnstone get their pies from? It was answered before in a thread last year but I cant find it. The pies are absolutely brilliant.
    Someone’s answered it

I think they’re from Murray’s Bakers in Perth. I’m sure I saw a board round the pitch by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Someone’s answered it

Have they? Never seen it. Cheers B.

Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    I have to agree with the poster, left Edinburgh at 12:30 bit of a queue at the ground, parked in Tesco ,got in the ground no bother, got a pie before kick off, looked at the facilities thought it would be a nightmare at half time.

no smugness just used my heid and left a bit earlier like every away game.
    Well you done well then as We left edinburgh at 1240 and I missed the first 20 mins thanks to the farce on the access road...took us an hour to get from the slip road on the motorway to the stadium...so I can only assume you went a different way

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Sorry, but the roadwork is nothing to do with St Johnstone. It's a Perth and Kinross council project to open up access to land north of the city for development.

And I've already advised on this thread to ignore the football traffic signs, come off the by-pass at the A85 Crieff turn off, turn right and Tesco is on the right the ground a bit further on.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 13-08-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Have they? Never seen it. Cheers B.
    Mines was tasty. But it fell apart pretty quickly and left me with a boiling hot stew that I had to basically drink.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Mines was tasty. But it fell apart pretty quickly and left me with a boiling hot stew that I had to basically drink.

Best I've had at a game by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Someone’s answered it

Had a look at their website but its needing updated, won't let you order any which is a shame as I was going to order 2 dozen and freeze them to eat at my leisure

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Not true.

I used to work for the council. The problem is the new roads being built around the ground, this is the first time a large number of away fans have been at mcdermid Park and the layout is untried. Not trying to excuse the chaos.

Also, don't follow the signs on the A9 for football traffic, take the A85 turn off, turn right and you are at the ground at the next roundabout.
    ah, I see. don't follow the football signs, will take a mental note of that

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Left the pub, just down from the Broxden services, just before 2.30. Parked up away from stadium and in the ground for 2.45. Housing estates up the hill from the stadium are an infinitely better option than the stadium car park, but the later you arrive the further away from the stadium you will be.

In defence of St Johnstone, the slip road is new and untested for football matches.

What does need sorted is the catering and queuing system, especially the main stand. I saw the police come down and question a steward about the queuing, so they were aware it was an issue, but the steward just shrugged in an "its above my pay grade" fashion and did nothing. The stewards at McDiarmid are universally hated by all that attend the games, due to a combination of over zealous behaviour and general incompetence.

I suggest an email to St Johnstone (and the police) pointing out the issues today, and I'm sure they will look into it. It might result in an officer controlling the filter off the slip road, and some steward training on queuing at the kiosks
    might just be a wee "tangent" Stevie, but do the nearby Luechars tornadoes practise their bombing runs on the McDiarmid car park?

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    might just be a wee "tangent" Stevie, but do the nearby Luechars tornadoes practise their bombing runs on the McDiarmid car park?
    It wouldn't surprise me. I play there on a Monday night and sometimes scoot down on the Vespa, a couple of times I've veered onto the car park to avoid the speed bumps .. and immediately regretted it. If the pot holes don't get you the loose shingle will!
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    ah, I see. don't follow the football signs, will take a mental note of that
    Its the same for Dundee teams. Don't take the "football traffic" turn off and carry on to next couple of roundabouts (or circles if you are asking a local) and come in from the top end to park.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

St. Johnstone and the authorities have to know that a late proportion of the crowd park in the stadium car park. To have this situation where you need to go all the way round the ground at snail pace with traffic lights up ahead is scandalous.

Yes, there are other places to park but even some kind of heads up from the club would have been appreciated. Like I say- almost an hour from the slip road to the car park. All the road signs for ‘football stadium’ lead you this way.
    The road is actually designed to accommodate a large housing development, and has been designed for traffic to move better from the large development towards the centre of Perth. Large amounts of traffic turning right at the lights 8 days out of the year won't have been factored into it.
    What did surprise me was the closing of the original slip road that took you to the stadium, which is where the football traffic signs actually directed you to, but there will be an alternative option to take the flyover to A85 junction.
    Now that the issue has been flagged up, its likely that football traffic may well be directed off the A85 slip road (as mentioned by others).
    The crematorium overflow car park isn't ideal for parking at the moment as there is no direct route back to bypass (although this will change as works continue), so its unlikely that parking will be encouraged here for the time being.

Here is the proposed road layout. There are proposals for additional exits from the stadium car park, and better links between the A85 and the new roads. Once completed there will actually be more options for football traffic than there was in the past.

https://www.perthtransportfutures.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/203078-AD-SK-001M-GA-DRAFT.pdf
    Last edited by StevieC; 14-08-2018 at 02:07 AM.