hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NHC. EPL small team spending!

Just watching Match of the Day and the first game up is Fulham v Chrystal Palace. Gary Lineker says “Fulham celebrated their return to the EPL with a 100 million pound summer spending spree” How can Scotland and many other countries compete with that? Makes me sick!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headshrinker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watching Match of the Day and the first game up is Fulham v Chrystal Palace. Gary Lineker says “Fulham celebrated their return to the EPL with a 100 million pound summer spending spree” How can Scotland and many other countries compete with that? Makes me sick!!!
    The bubble will burst eventually, and when it happens there will be more than a few clubs that go bust

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    The bubble will burst eventually, and when it happens there will be more than a few clubs that go bust
    People have been saying the bubble will bust for about 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    It's not going to go burst whilst Sky and BT are in existence.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    We have to accept that English football in monetary terms is far ahead of every league in the world. That means over inflated prices for ***** players just needs to be accepted the bubble may burst but by the looks of it it won’t be soon. There’s still load of cash being pumped into the English game.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I don't think these people have said it for as long as 15 years.I do look forward to the day it happens though. players in those leagues are getting obscene wages for a start, and I don't want to go all political but it is totally disgusting.

Bournemouth spending 2 x our turnover on players. Their stadium holds about 12, 000. Nonsense.

The standard of the EPL is getting worse despite all the investment. The clever marketing can only fool people for so long. Serie A will displace it as the third best league soon imo.

If we could get even a quarter the money, our league would be so much better. A great idea would be to combine both league cups. When the quarter finals comes around, both sets of teams from England and Scotland play each other.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Bournemouth spending 2 x our turnover on players. Their stadium holds about 12, 000. Nonsense.
    it was mentioned last night that Cardiff had put in a bid of £6 million for a player that went to Bournemouth for £27 million! add his wages on top of that and you can see how some teams are being massively subsidised by the tv companies

The SPL needs badly promoted. The brass upstairs don't have the know how or will to promote our game and get a big TV deal.

It is becoming obscene levels of money down there for not a lot of quality. I genuinely prefer watching the Championship to the Premiership, a lot of passionate fans, a lot of competitive games, and a new set of challengers for title/promotion/play offs and relegation each year.

I looked at the games today and there is not a chance I'd pay to sit and watch most these sides play a game of football against each other. Too many teams happy to be 10 to 15th but still have to pay about 60 million to be there. Disgusting level of football and I hate to support it because it means Sky telling me that Watford Vs Brighton makes my Sunday "Super".

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    The SPL needs badly promoted. The brass upstairs don't have the know how or will to promote our game and get a big TV deal.
    Think it already is badly promoted but I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeBigFly View Post
    The standard of the EPL is getting worse despite all the investment. The clever marketing can only fool people for so long. Serie A will displace it as the third best league soon imo.
    whilst I agree with your sentiment. Apart from Spain in terms of continental success, the English league is more competitive than Spain, Italy France or Germany given these leagues have one or two winners at all times.

Real Madrid, Barcelona
    Juventus
    PSG
    Bayern

they haven't been won by anyone else for years. Often the English league has a different winner every season and games are regularly competive.

it's no where near as bad as folk like to make out, often with jealous eyes. the truth is it's somewhere between as bad as folk say and as brilliant as sky make out. just like every other league in the world.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeBigFly View Post
    The standard really isn’t getting worse at all. It’s a fantastic league attracting top players from all over the world.

Do you have Sky Sports?

It’s folk in Scotland paying for Sky Sports that helps fund the English teams.

If we started to cancel sky sports they would have to take notice.
    Last edited by CorrieHibs; 12-08-2018 at 07:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post
    Do you have Sky Sports?

We also watch SPL on SKY sports in Scotland.

Do you have Sky Sports?

While this is true it will make no impact on the EPL revenue.You go anywhere in the world and see the EPL marketed and consumed by millions of people whether it’s to follow a team or bet on.Think people need to get over the fact we operate at a totally different level.Personally I don’t watch the EPL or any football other than Hibs and the games involving our closest rivals.Modern football is a sham and I’d prefer we never reached that level of madness.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I don't think they were saying it was going to burst tomorrow though, were they? Because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it won't.

Do you have Sky Sports?

Do you think it’s only people in Scotland that pay for sky sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    whilst I agree with your sentiment. Apart from Spain in terms of continental success, the English league is more competitive than Spain, Italy France or Germany given these leagues have one or two winners at all times.

PSG

they haven't been won by anyone else for years. Often the English league has a different winner every season
    2007/08 Lyon
    2008/09 Bordeaux
    2009/10 Marseille
    2010/11 Lille
    2011/12 Montpellier
    2016/17 Monaco

Unfortunately it's not just England...whilst not in the same "league", apparently the TV money in Holland is €80m per annum. We [Scotland] really are paupers in the European arena 🙁

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    2007/08 Lyon
    2008/09 Bordeaux
    2009/10 Marseille
    2010/11 Lille
    2011/12 Montpellier
    2016/17 Monaco
    excellent retort...whilst I enjoy French football, I hope you're not suggesting that the French league is better that the EPL?

bar Monaco who were also propped up with wads of cash, the last of those was six years ago. meanwhile the English league has been won by a different winner each year since 09-10. with the last time it was won 3 years in a row by the same side coming 06-09.

the standard also far surpasses the French league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    How much does Scottish football get from the current TV deal?

Do you have Sky Sports?

Nope no sky sports here. However, I think Scotland’s contribution is minuscule in the broad scale of things. We don’t make that match of a difference. It’s a global thing. I have no figures, other than our population. Just my opinion.

I assume it’s because of the Sky link, but I find it really interesting that there’s rarely criticism of Italian, French, Spanish, American clubs spending vast sums on players and wages. In England it’s more visible, and possibly more frequent, but it happens in all these places and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    The standard really isn’t getting worse at all. It’s a fantastic league attracting top players from all over the world.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I assume it’s because of the Sky link, but I find it really interesting that there’s rarely criticism of Italian, French, Spanish, American clubs spending vast sums on players and wages. In England it’s more visible, and possibly more frequent, but it happens in all these places and others.
    The German "Sky Deutschland" deal is worth >€1bn per annum..

Prices are ridiculously overinflated in England and many of the players who move for tens of millions are not worth it. It is Monopoly money to most clubs. If it was all about money, Aberdeen should have been hammered by Burnley.

How many are going to complain when John McGinn moves for crazy money and we reap the benefit? The money down south is mad, but I think there is a lot of jealousy, there would be very little criticism if football in Scotland was funded by massive TV investment.

It is what it is.