hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was in the build up to the game yesterday on Sportsound. The reporter asked Lennon about having received good money for McGinn and having insisted on us getting a sell on clause. Lennon said he wasn't privy to the contract negotiations but does think we have a sell on clause that might net us a good fee in future.

No figures or percentages were discussed but from the way Lennon was talking, not just the words he used, it sounded very much to me like he knows fine well that we have a sell-on clause.
    Hopefully, Hibs will have got a sell on clause included in the deal for John McGinn. It would have been totally remiss of Hibs not to have insisted on that IMHO. Surely Leeann Dempster wouldn't have agreed to let McGinn go for just £2.75m, or whatever it actually was? Other than those directly involved in the negotiations, nobody appears to actually know.

If it was only £2.75m then SJM is a ridiculous bargain, and an absolute steal, for AV.

I'm not clear why there is secrecy surrounding any sell on clause. It was well known, and public knowledge, that St Mirren had one (30%?) included when they sold John to Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Hopefully, Hibs will have got a sell on clause included in the deal for John McGinn. It would have been totally remiss of Hibs not to have insisted on that IMHO. Surely Leeann Dempster wouldn't have agreed to let McGinn go for just £2.75m, or whatever it actually was? Other than those directly involved in the negotiations, nobody appears to actually know.

If it was only £2.75m then SJM is a ridiculous bargain, and an absolute steal, for AV.

I'm not clear why there is secrecy surrounding any sell on clause. It was well known, and public knowledge, that St Mirren had one (30%?) included when they sold John to Hibs.
    It was only "well known" as St Mirren claimed it was 33% on twitter, and that was refuted at our AGM quickly afterwards. Many on here decided to take it as fact. It may be villa don't want people knowing what the sell on fee is in case it affects future bids?

Regarding the fee, St Mirren have claimed the sell on they received was a club record fee, so if their sell on was anywhere around the 33% then it's safe to assume the total fee was more than 2.75. Suggestion that 2.75 was our take home after everyone else got their cut ties in with the maths for fee being around 4 million.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    It was only "well known" as St Mirren claimed it was 33% on twitter, and that was refuted at our AGM quickly afterwards. Many on here decided to take it as fact. It may be villa don't want people knowing what the sell on fee is in case it affects future bids?

Regarding the fee, St Mirren have claimed the sell on they received was a club record fee, so if their sell on was anywhere around the 33% then it's safe to assume the total fee was more than 2.75. Suggestion that 2.75 was our take home after everyone else got their cut ties in with the maths for fee being around 4 million.
    If it (the sell on percentage) claimed by St Mirren was refuted at Hibs AGM, what was the sell on percentage? Nobody knows, other than those party to the negotiations it seems?

You then go on to say it's "safe to assume" the total fee was more than £2.75m because of what St Mirren have claimed about the fee they received being a club record. Which is what? I don't know. Yet their claim of 33%, which was refuted at Hibs AGM, is not to be believed.

So we are none the wiser what the sell on percentage, if any, is in the sale of John McGinn to AV.

Am I understanding you correctly?

He’s that good he gets rested for cup games like Grealish etc 😉

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    If it (the sell on percentage) claimed by St Mirren was refuted at Hibs AGM, what was the sell on percentage? Nobody knows, other than those party to the negotiations it seems?

You then go on to say it's "safe to assume" the total fee was more than £2.75m because of what St Mirren have claimed about the fee they received being a club record. Which is what? I don't know. Yet their claim of 33%, which was refuted at Hibs AGM, is not to be believed.

So we are none the wiser what the sell on percentage, if any, is in the sale of John McGinn to AV.

Am I understanding you correctly?
    First paragraph I was pointing out that it was not widely know what the exact fee was, it was claimed once then taken as fact. It might have been 33% and Rod was playing games at the AGM, we don't know. It was the comment about St Mirren fee being widely known that I was mainly disputing.

We do know what St Mirren prev record fee was, so we know if the got over that then we have a pretty good idea that the fee was not 2.75 in total, as their prev record fee was 1mw million. That said it could be the sell on was more that 33% but you'd have to question why Stewart Gilmour would give a lower fee out on twitter.

If we take him at his word and it was 33% then a fee of 4 million minus their 33% gives Hibs for Hibs around 2.75. As the reports all phrase it in a way that the 2.75 is what Hibs made out the deal then they're not wrong in what their saying.

You are correct though, even my own sums are supposition. It's an undisclosed fee so it's all guess work, as is everyone else's figures.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    First paragraph I was pointing out that it was not widely know what the exact fee was, it was claimed once then taken as fact. It might have been 33% and Rod was playing games at the AGM, we don't know. It was the comment about St Mirren fee being widely known that I was mainly disputing.

We do know what St Mirren prev record fee was, so we know if the got over that then we have a pretty good idea that the fee was not 2.75 in total, as their prev record fee was 1mw million. That said it could be the sell on was more that 33% but you'd have to question why Stewart Gilmour would give a lower fee out on twitter.

If we take him at his word and it was 33% then a fee of 4 million minus their 33% gives Hibs for Hibs around 2.75. As the reports all phrase it in a way that the 2.75 is what Hibs made out the deal then they're not wrong in what their saying.

You are correct though, even my own sums are supposition. It's an undisclosed fee so it's all guess work, as is everyone else's figures.
    OK I get what you're saying.

Just out of interest, who was it St Mirren got £1m for?

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    OK I get what you're saying.

Just out of interest, who was it St Mirren got £1m for?
    I had thought it was Ian Ferguson to Rangers for about £850,000 after he scored winner against Dundee Utd in Scottish Cup Final.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I had thought it was Ian Ferguson to Rangers for about £850,000 after he scored winner against Dundee Utd in Scottish Cup Final.
    St M fans say they got £850k then an add on of £100, so just shy of £1M in total

Incredibly that was 30 years ago.

@hibs.net private member Callum7's Avatar

Lost?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum7 View Post

Lost?

Confused.

The usual rent-a-gobs assured him that John Mcginn ‘will be a Celtc player’... and yet this??

What’s goan on mammy?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum7 View Post

Lost?
    Or a Yeovil fan considering that’s who they were playing

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    McKenna? I’d be amazed if they get that.
    I think everything is now changing. James Madison a midfielder I wasn't familiar with, has signed for Leicester from Norwich City of the second tier for £25 million. The boy has never played top flight football before! (he had a very good debut against man u on Friday). It's a sellers market and if a wolves or a west Brom took a punt on Mckenna for a fee like £8 million, then it doesn't represent a big loss for them if he's gash at that level. It's peanuts for them.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I think everything is now changing. James Madison a midfielder I wasn't familiar with, has signed for Leicester from Norwich City of the second tier for £25 million. The boy has never played top flight football before! (he had a very good debut against man u on Friday). It's a sellers market and if a wolves or a west Brom took a punt on Mckenna for a fee like £8 million, then it doesn't represent a big loss for them if he's gash at that level. It's peanuts for them.
    He did play for Aberdeen

He did play for Aberdeen
    Indeed, but as we were saying, the common belief in England is that the spfl isn't top level. The interesting thing about Madison is the imagined ceiling for a championship player has been smashed, as was the belief up till recently that no-one would pay more than £30 million for a keeper. These beliefs are all being proved wrong.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    That was some debut from SJM...

I always thought his corners were his downfall, he seems to have turned that around since he left... or it's highlighted that I was too critical when he was here.
    Mon the Hibs.

Don't worry. There were many others on here quick on the don't like button.

The man is a superstar and we were so lucky to have him as long as we did.

How he was not snapped up immediately after 21.05.2016 will always be a mystery.

In my opinion.

Says it all about McGinn that my biggest emotion watching that is pride, and not regret or bitterness. I think I might be getting a preview of the types of feelings that will come when my daughters leave home.

Where were those corners before though!!!

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    You can see why the Villa fans took to him straight away!

Always thought he would go for 5mil. Disappointed.but on this showing hes worth millions more than that.
    Bugger cant even hold up my big told you so banner. Annoyed as hell.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Always thought he would go for 5mil. Disappointed.but on this showing hes worth millions more than that.
    Bugger cant even hold up my big told you so banner. Annoyed as hell.

Less than 12 months to run on his contract. That is why he went for less money.

Overall he was a great signing for us though.

Mom for second week in a row..........

Left by mutual consent!
    I hope the love in comments from Hibs fans come to an end pronto, it's becoming very Celtic-esque.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    I hope the love in comments from Hibs fans come to an end pronto, it's becoming very Celtic-esque.
    What does that even mean? Is it a whoosh moment or just you in need of attention?
    Fans interested in all time legendary former players fortunes in the weeks after he leaves them- shock, horror:

Soon it’ll be the IRA songs, eh OK.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Whit are you even talking about? If anything I'm really proud and enjoy seeing him doing so exceptionally well in his first few games down south.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

First Team Breakthrough huggie1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: huggieedin
    Why ? I want to keep tabs on SJM want him to be a massive player for Scotland and id imagine we will have a tidy sell on clause

First Team Breakthrough
    Totally agree

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Nonsense natural to want the guy to do well quite why any Celtic reference I have no idea. Maybe says more about you than anyone else.