hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McGinn will be at a bigger club in no time. Can see him being a James Miller type in front of Andy Robertson at Liverpool for example.. it is not unimaginable IMO.
    Hope Liverpool do a Virgil van Dijk and fork out £75 million for him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    Think Villa will be my English team as long as SJM is there.
    And if he went to Celtic were they your 2nd Scottish team?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    McGinn will be at a bigger club in no time. Can see him being a James Miller type in front of Andy Robertson at Liverpool for example.. it is not unimaginable IMO.

Villa are a big club. If they go up this year and keep progressing, SJM could fulfil plenty of career ambitions with them.

Quote Originally Posted by PapillonVert View Post
    So glad that SJM has made a great start. I am sure with much more to come.

But why do the English think that Scotland and Scottish football is so rubbish?
    part arrogance, part malevolence. When they can cherry pick the best in Scotland for a relevant pittance, Scottish or otherwise, it is like taking sweeties from a baby. Personally I think its a lot better than they portray as results are showing in Europe.

PS very pleased also for SJMs start at AV.

Left by mutual consent!
    Probably already posted but highlights of John's Villa debut here. He most certainly plays a key role:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiTstgguj8A

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Probably already posted but highlights of John's Villa debut here. He most certainly plays a key role:

Cant bring myself to watch it yet...too soon 😪

Yes he's had a great debut.

Good evening everyone.

I'm a Villa fan and felt compelled to join after watching McGinn's debut yesterday (still a little early for me to be referring to him as SJM).

As you will no doubt have gathered, I was impressed with his debut. So much so that I would agree with all of the other Villa fans you have quoted, it's the best debut I've seen for a long time, if not the best debut full stop.

I'm convinced that he will improve even further once he has grown accustomed to his new surroundings. Villa may not be the best team in England but the team spirit and unity among the players is as good as you could wish for. McGinn has joined a very close group of players and there are no groups or "clicks" - Just one group. It is going to be easy for him to fit in and become accepted in the dressing room.

I was shocked by the energy, aggression and enthusiasm that McGinn showed. If he lost the ball, he would often chase back and regain possession. Unlike skill and flair, these qualities will not dip. I am absolutely amazed that no Premier League sides were in for him (and also that we were able to beat off Celtic).

I think it unfair to compare him with other players - I considered him to be unique and as I previously stated, I'm convinced that, that was only the beginning and that he is going to improve further once settled. At times, he linked up extremely well with Grealish and that pairing is better than a lot in the Premier League.

I wouldn't get too comfortable watching Villa. If he keeps this up (which he almost certainly will), I would imagine that we'd have trouble keeping hold of him in a years time if we don't go up.

I'm so happy to have McGinn on board and am sorry that it has been at your expense. I wasn't even aware that the Championship had this lure to be honest.

Finally, as someone else alluded to earlier, Villa tend to build up play from out wide with wingers and overlapping fullbacks. Don't expect everything to go through McGinn but rest assured that he is going to play his part and will be one of the top performers not only at the club but also in the Championship.

Good luck for the new season.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Good evening everyone.

I'm a Villa fan and felt compelled to join after watching McGinn's debut yesterday (still a little early for me to be referring to him as SJM).

As you will no doubt have gathered, I was impressed with his debut. So much so that I would agree with all of the other Villa fans you have quoted, it's the best debut I've seen for a long time, if not the best debut full stop.

I'm convinced that he will improve even further once he has grown accustomed to his new surroundings. Villa may not be the best team in England but the team spirit and unity among the players is as good as you could wish for. McGinn has joined a very close group of players and there are no groups or "clicks" - Just one group. It is going to be easy for him to fit in and become accepted in the dressing room.

I was shocked by the energy, aggression and enthusiasm that McGinn showed. If he lost the ball, he would often chase back and regain possession. Unlike skill and flair, these qualities will not dip. I am absolutely amazed that no Premier League sides were in for him (and also that we were able to beat off Celtic).

I think it unfair to compare him with other players - I considered him to be unique and as I previously stated, I'm convinced that, that was only the beginning and that he is going to improve further once settled. At times, he linked up extremely well with Grealish and that pairing is better than a lot in the Premier League.

I wouldn't get too comfortable watching Villa. If he keeps this up (which he almost certainly will), I would imagine that we'd have trouble keeping hold of him in a years time if we don't go up.

I'm so happy to have McGinn on board and am sorry that it has been at your expense. I wasn't even aware that the Championship had this lure to be honest.

Finally, as someone else alluded to earlier, Villa tend to build up play from out wide with wingers and overlapping fullbacks. Don't expect everything to go through McGinn but rest assured that he is going to play his part and will be one of the top performers not only at the club but also in the Championship.

Cheers Grumpy, you do have a very good player on your books now, one who i hope does what you predict, and goes to a big Premier league side in a year or two.

We'd just like the extra money it would give us.

Good luck this coming season, enjoy SJM while you have him.

@hibs.net private member
    Good evening everyone.

Interesting post and welcome ! thanks for sharing....he will be a joy to watch...I would also expect him to grow in performance as he matures further. Even when he is not on his best form, you will get that level of application. Enjoy him - we miss him already ✌️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Good evening everyone.

Treat him nice. He's very special. Good luck for the season.

Blog Entries

McGinn played his part in their win but I thought the Villa defence was very suspect and the result could have been reversed if Wigan had taken their chances. ( yes I know they were only highlights).

Good evening everyone.

Welcome Grumpy and thanks for posting. Give it a few weeks and SJM may well turn you into Happy.

There will be a few of us keeping an eye on how well he is doing and I for one would be happy to hear from you again with your opinions. Like others, I have now adopted Villa as my English team and it would be good to see if any Villa fans start following Hibs.

As bigwheel said, even when SJM isn't having his best game you know he'll always give 100%. What I would also say is how brilliant he is when interacting with fans. Not only will he be a great asset for Villa on the park, he will be a great ambassador off it.

You may or may not be aware that SJM is a Hibs legend having been part of the Scottish Cup winning team on 21/5/16, which we celebrated by singing "Sunshine On Leith", the Football Anthem World Cup winner (after beating Hey Duggee's Kick song in extra time in the semi).

Here's some footage:

https://youtu.be/LeHkQYDoVJ0

And if you want to see yer man, here's the official version:

https://youtu.be/JdP_KK75ThI

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Welcome Grumpy and thanks for posting. Give it a few weeks and SJM may well turn you into Happy.

There will be a few of us keeping an eye on how well he is doing and I for one would be happy to hear from you again with your opinions. Like others, I have now adopted Villa as my English team and it would be good to see if any Villa fans start following Hibs.

As bigwheel said, even when SJM isn't having his best game you know he'll always give 100%. What I would also say is how brilliant he is when interacting with fans. Not only will he be a great asset for Villa on the park, he will be a great ambassador off it.

You may or may not be aware that SJM is a Hibs legend having been part of the Scottish Cup winning team on 21/5/16, which we celebrated by singing "Sunshine On Leith", the Football Anthem World Cup winner (after beating Hey Duggee's Kick song in extra time in the semi).

Here's some footage:

https://youtu.be/LeHkQYDoVJ0

And if you want to see yer man, here's the official version:

https://youtu.be/JdP_KK75ThI

Grumpy, you might wonder why there is such a police presence around the pitch during that clip?

Lets say there was a little bit of exuberance for 10 minutes or so.

Have to back up my fellow Villain, he had a great debut. Wicked left peg that Wigan couldn't defend. Energy, aggression and demanding the ball, all the qualities I like to see. His understanding with Grealish will only develop.

Agree on our defence, a new keeper on his debut and a midfielder (Jedinak) at centre half. We should only improve in all areas.

UTV and GGTTH
    Last edited by Hibs_Villain; 13-08-2018 at 03:34 PM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs_Villain View Post
    Have to back up my fellow Villain, he had a great debut. Wicked left peg that Wigan couldn't defend. Energy, aggression and demanding the ball, all the qualities I like to see. His understanding with Grealish will only develop.

Agree on our defence, a new keeper on his debut and a midfielder (Jedinak) at centre half. We should only improve in all areas.

UTV and GGTH
    Hope you lads get promotion this season. Villa are an EPL club and SJM deserves to showcase his talent on the biggest stage. I reckon it will only be a matter of time before one of the big 6 in England start making offers to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Hope you lads get promotion this season. Villa are an EPL club and SJM deserves to showcase his talent on the biggest stage. I reckon it will only be a matter of time before one of the big 6 in England start making offers to take him.

Hope the Hibees upset the OF too, don't let the Bigots prosper.

Have to agree with my fellow Villa fans about McGinniesta. He will be loved at VP, fantastic debut.

Back in May

our hearts were broken

Sorrow sorrow sorrow

But he came, he'll fix it

thank you thank you thank you.

Also you guys have been amazing. You'll get plenty of Villa fans following you.

One last thing Sunshine on Leith after the cup win was probably the classiest thing I have seen in football.

Promising Youngster birdspotter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colhint View Post
    One last thing Sunshine on Leith after the cup win was probably the classiest thing I have seen in football.
    It sure was but it was also the most emotional time many, many thousands of us have ever experienced. Quite a few tears were shed that day by many.
    A day that a sleeping giant was finally woken! GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    NL just near enough confirmed on the radio that we've got a sell on clause.
    What did he say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    What did he say?
    It was in the build up to the game yesterday on Sportsound. The reporter asked Lennon about having received good money for McGinn and having insisted on us getting a sell on clause. Lennon said he wasn't privy to the contract negotiations but does think we have a sell on clause that might net us a good fee in future.

No figures or percentages were discussed but from the way Lennon was talking, not just the words he used, it sounded very much to me like he knows fine well that we have a sell-on clause.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    It was in the build up to the game yesterday on Sportsound. The reporter asked Lennon about having received good money for McGinn and having insisted on us getting a sell on clause. Lennon said he wasn't privy to the contract negotiations but does think we have a sell on clause that might net us a good fee in future.

No figures or percentages were discussed but from the way Lennon was talking, not just the words he used, it sounded very much to me like he knows fine well that we have a sell-on clause.
    Cheers mate, sounds promising

@hibs.net private member
    He's in the EFL's team of the week.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    He's also number one of FourFourTwo's smartest signing of the Championship this summer.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Wonder how much we could have sold him for if he’d still had 3 years on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Wonder how much we could have sold him for if he’d still had 3 years on his contract.

£5m easy, but prob not much above that.

The market seems to set a ceiling for players from Scottish clubs. Craig Gordon very much an anomaly in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    He's also number one of FourFourTwo's smartest signing of the Championship this summer.
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...ansfers-summer

Just in the door and he's already getting accolades.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    £5m easy, but prob not much above that.

The market seems to set a ceiling for players from Scottish clubs. Craig Gordon very much an anomaly in that respect.
    Pundits are talking about £8 million, now, as a potential price for that Aberdeen defender whose name escapes me. Theres no such thing as a ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Pundits are talking about £8 million, now, as a potential price for that Aberdeen defender whose name escapes me. Theres no such thing as a ceiling.
    That’s Lionel Ritchie f.....d then

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

McKenna? I’d be amazed if they get that.