hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: McSweens Haggis

McSweens Haggis

I fancy trying their Morrocan spiced veggie haggis but can’t find it anywhere.

I’m up in Edinburgh next weekend so wondered if there’s anywhere in town that stocks their whole range.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I can't help you, but I've never heard of that and it sounds awesome! I want to know where to get it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't help you, but I've never heard of that and it sounds awesome! I want to know where to get it too!
    This is it
    https://www.macsween.co.uk/products/...etaian-haggis/

Drooool!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post

I’m up in Edinburgh next weekend so wondered if there’s anywhere in town that stocks their whole range.

try Hornigs haggis for a black pepper bite. Made in W Lothian. McSweens advertise well but I find their haggis a bit tasteless.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    try Hornigs haggis for a black pepper bite. Made in W Lothian. McSweens advertise well but I find their haggis a bit tasteless.
    Choice is a bit thin in London.

Never touch Fornum and Mason’s haggis.

I wouldn’t feed it to a dog.

Even one that had bitten me.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    MacSween do online delivery. As for Edinburgh stockists of the Moroccan-spiced, I know they don't have it in Waitrose at Morningside and I suspect that means they won't have it at Comely Bank.. I think your best bet is one of the really big Tescos - maybe the one at Corstorphine
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    I once was looking for a big haggis at short notice, and with no success. I contacted MacSween to see if they could point me in the direction of a stockist, and the woman I spoke to was less than helpful. Jenners agreed to order one in for me - they stock various sizes of meat and veggie haggis, but what they have on any given day seems to be inconsistent. You might try them, and as said elsewhere, everything can be bought online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    MacSween do online delivery. As for Edinburgh stockists of the Moroccan-spiced, I know they don't have it in Waitrose at Morningside and I suspect that means they won't have it at Comely Bank.. I think your best bet is one of the really big Tescos - maybe the one at Corstorphine
    I could ‘t see a way to buy through Macsween’s on the site. They have links to three stockists (one of which is in Smithfield) but none have the veggie moroccan - or have I missed something?

I could ‘t see a way to buy through Macsween’s on the site. They have links to three stockists (one of which is in Smithfield) but none have the veggie moroccan - or have I missed something?
    See what you mean. The stockist at Smithfield has their website down but there is a phone number.

As said, I don't think Waitrose stock it, which makes the big Tesco most likely but I suspect they won't.

They used to have shops in Edinburgh - at Bruntsfield, and IIRC on Broughton Street, but they are away now and they moved out to Loanhead. Maybe worth ringing the factory at Loanhead and seeing if they do sales? If you're driving, then it's no distance from Edinburgh.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    See what you mean. The stockist at Smithfield has their website down but there is a phone number.

As said, I don't think Waitrose stock it, which makes the big Tesco most likely but I suspect they won't.

They used to have shops in Edinburgh - at Bruntsfield, and IIRC on Broughton Street, but they are away now and they moved out to Loanhead. Maybe worth ringing the factory at Loanhead and seeing if they do sales? If you're driving, then it's no distance from Edinburgh.
    I remember the Bruntsfield shop. Thanks for the advice. Wonder if some of the veggie shops might have it.

@hibs.net private member
    Also worth trying delis. I've seen MacSween stuff in quite a few of them.

I remember the Bruntsfield shop. Thanks for the advice. Wonder if some of the veggie shops might have it.
    Don't think Henderson's do - never seen it there - but one of the smaller shops might? Probably easiest to phone or email MacSween and ask them.

I'd never heard of it until this thread and am curious now - let me know if you find a source!

Imho Hornigs haggis is better, both normal and veg. The Macsween version has too many whole seeds in it for my liking. The Hornigs veg one is really quite spicy so could be a good alternative if you can't find the Moroccan one.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    McSweens Haggis and Bains pies, for years I thought these were the best on the market, mainly due to listening to others and not trying alternatives. I now realise neither are the best available in my opinion, Hornigs and McGills are far better.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    McSweens Haggis and Bains pies, for years I thought these were the best on the market, mainly due to listening to others and not trying alternatives. I now realise neither are the best available in my opinion, Hornigs and McGills are far better.
    Storries ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Sadly I'll agree re Bains pies. I buy 21 at a time and freeze them. We have them very 2 or 3 weeks and I have 2 my darling wife has 1 for lunch.

The last 2 lots have not lived up their former great standard.

I understand the owner, or at least one of the main folks involved, is a Hibby. If so I hope he reads this and goes back to the previous recipe! Please!!

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think the Bruntsfield shop closed a good few years ago.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Findlay’s down at portobello do a few different types of haggis. I seem to remember they do a spicy one, but I’m not sure about a vegetarian spicy haggis. Their haggis is really good.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

I've always wondered why they call it 'vegetarian haggis' since it's not made to a haggis recipe, i.e. it doesn't contain the essential ingredients.

Veggie mealie puddin'?

The moroccan veggie was a limited edition and isn’t available any more.

What a tease!

The moroccan veggie was a limited edition and isn’t available any more.

What a tease!
    Damn, was going to try and find it!

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    McSweens black pudding is superb.John Lawson uphall does superb pies also.Buy mines there for thr footie.

Well, who does a decent scotch pie ( with mutton rather than beef)?

Crombies, Broughton Street.

When I stayed in Dundee I always liked the Fisher and Donaldson ones.

I think they have a place in St Andrews as well.

Never tried a haggis pie but I know Bell's macaroni cheese pies are different class. Put a bit extra cheese on top, bang them in the oven at 210/220 for around 21 minutes fan or around 24 minutes conventional oven and prepare to thoroughly enjoy once done.