hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar

Have we burned our bridges with Celtic?

Now McGinn has moved to Aston Villa, have we severely damaged any good relationship we had with Celtic

Now, I’m not suggesting we should have sold SJM for a low price to Celtic to keep them sweet but this could have longer term damage to us

I am extremely proud of Hibs for taking a stand against the old firm trying to get an Scottish based player on the cheap from a rival, I hope the others will follow suit but I also doubt that other clubs are in as strong a position as us to do so

Not a great day for Celtic yesterday. 1-1 with AEK and losing out on McGinn will have the Celtic fans very annoyed at the clubs management. Peter Lawwell getting a lot of criticism online and he is reportedly extremely peeved at us!

His fault for mucking us about and trying to get SJM on the ultra cheap (but this can also be classed as his job, get players for as cheap as possible and sell for as high as possible)

We have done VERY well with loans and transfers in recent seasons, Stokes, McGeough, Henderson, Commons and Ambrose of the top on my head

Which brings me onto Allan... I really doubt that Celtic will be keen to work with us on this transfer (perminent or loan). Call is business or spite but this could be a real sign of things to come.

Hopefully once the dust has settled this will not affect us but I won’t be holding my breath

Time will tell and GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    No need to worry about his (Allan’s) silly little current club playing ball, we will just get him on a pre contract in January. Now where have I heard that before . . .
    Last edited by Andymac85; 09-08-2018 at 06:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Let’s just sign Allan on a precontract in January. While we’re at it, thrown in an offer of 6 quid and a Freddo for Dembele to show them the same respect they showed us in their Mickey Mouse pursuit of our best player.

Absolutely get that shower of ****s so far to ****. If this ends the view some folk have that we have a cosy wee relationship with them then that suits me just fine, I feel sick at the notion we have some sort of tie in with that shower.

''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

If there are any bridges burned it's because of their mindset. We've done nothing wrong? We sold our player to the highest bidder its standard business practice.

@hibs.net private member
    We've had some useful loans from Celtic recently but I don't think they've ever done anything for us that hasn't suited their own agenda. If we are on their coattails in the league and represent a major hurdle to them in the cups, you know that they will be registering their interest in at least one of our players through the media so we shouldn't be getting too cosy with them anyway.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    They only have themselves to blame. They could’ve stumped up what they knew we wanted instead of coming in with low bids. They only matched the asking price when it was too late. None of the blame can lie at our door.

Lawell tried to play a game with Petrie/Dempster and lost badly. He now looks extremely stupid and his manager doesn’t seem too happy with him.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Bridges are built from both sides. McGinn would be a Celtc player this morning if they had really wanted him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Cringe factor 20 this pish about our "connections" with Celtic.

****ting it because they might be angry we didnt sell Mcginn to them, 'kin hell..

We accepted their bid eventually as it met the valuation.

Celtic fans won't remember it for that reason though.

Penny pinching lawell lost Rodgers McGinn.

We didn’t do business with them on this occasion, we will do business with them again in the future. There never was and never will be any kind of special relationship between us and that lot.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Hibernian FC had a valuation of SJM. Cellic failed miserably 3 times to meet the correct valuation. Not our fault. Cellic / PL FAULT.We should wait till January and offer a very low sum for SA. See how they feel.
    GGTTH
    B

They got 7 million for Armstrong. Less than half of that would have been enough for John McGinn.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let’s just sign Allan on a precontract in January. While we’re at it, thrown in an offer of 6 quid and a Freddo for Dembele to show them the same respect they showed us in their Mickey Mouse pursuit of our best player.

Absolutely get that shower of ****s so far to ****. If this ends the view some folk have that we have a cosy wee relationship with them then that suits me just fine, I feel sick at the notion we have some sort of tie in with that shower.

Couldn't agree more they are no different to their ugly sisters ###k em I couldn't give a toss if this sours relations. As for Allan...I'm not convinced Lennon even wants him tbh - not seen him mentioned once all summer. If he does and Scotty wants to come back well then it's up to Scott really...he needs to force the move. Otherwise we move on...we've lost far better players than Scott Allan on the past and did just yesterday- we move on to other targets

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BT58 View Post
    Hibernian FC had a valuation of SJM. Cellic failed miserably 3 times to meet the correct valuation. Not our fault. Cellic / PL FAULT.We should wait till January and offer a very low sum for SA. See how they feel.
    GGTTH
    B
    Exactly, and Celtic only sold Armstrong etc, because their valuation was reached

We have done very well from them recently and it may or may not harm us going forward but at the end of the day we have done nothing wrong.. We’ve acted in the best interest of our club and I’m sure anyone would have done the same.. if we can’t deal with Celtic from now on we look at different targets..

Left by mutual consent!
    They have thought nothing of paying PSG £9m and various other signings over past few years. Absolutely Celtic will have been able to afford the fee for SJM.

They have completely disrespected the very league that they are in and us as a club thinking we are small time and to just sell as we are not PSG etc etc. They have got exactly what they deserve. Disrespect SJM to a degree.

A lot of the talk is about how Celtic missed out but the more important aspect is Hibs strong approach and how that maybe stands us in good steed going forward.

But papers will spin this as a Celtic story rather than a strong positive Hibs one.

Bottom line is Celtic tried to rip the piss with us and play the big man and they should be hoping that we wish to deal with them again.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Why? Because we sold our player to the highest bidder, that wasn’t them?? It’s a sorry situation that this is even a topic, just goes to show the contempt the OF and OF driven media have for the ‘other clubs’

They wanted McGinn, we told them how much, they tried to get him on the cheap, if they go away and take the huff well it's their on fault for being miserable tight fisted *******s continually trying to screw all other Scottish clubs of their best players. **** them!

I'm not sure if bridges have been burnt but they are being awkward with us on the SA front.

If we sign any of celtcs players permanently it will be down to market forces or for football reasons, not sentiment. If they want to free up their wage bill, they will deal with anyone regarding their unwanted players. Players they want to loan out, they will loan them to other clubs for football reasons if they are young players and part of their future plans. If, the likes of SA is available for loan and there is a lot of clubs interested, celtc might become more choosy who they let him go to.
    If SA wants to come to us then he might just have to bench warm at celtc until they agree to pay up his contract, or we get him in on a pre-contract in January / June.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Champions 2016

I would be absolutely shocked if we get Allan now.. they / he does seem very petty.. we have given him a bloody nose and it won’t go down well..

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I'm not sure if bridges have been burnt but they are being awkward with us on the SA front.
    At the end of the day, they are still a business and if Allan doesn't feature in their plans I'm sure they'll be keen to get him off the books, regardless of who makes the bid.

I hope our "bridges" with that mob are absolutely irreparably scorched if keeping them intact would mean having a "Yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" attitude every time they lob some paltry shekels our way for our best players.

I also hope that Lawell is stewing in his own pish today and that AEK hump them seven ways from Sunday in Greece.

I reckon they would have been awkward anyway. That’s Lawwell’s default attitude. **** em.

If Allan really does want to come back, he’s only got 5 months before he can commit.

We haven't burned our bridges because there wasn't a bridge in the first place. It was business.

SJM went to the highest bidder. Business is business and both clubs will move on and will do dealings again in the future.

EZ

Every single deal done between the 2 clubs was for the benefit of both clubs.

This deal never got into a position where it was beneficial for both clubs.

If a deal for Scott Allan gets to the position where it is beneficial for both clubs, it will happen (although the goalposts may have moved in terms of what is acceptable in the eyes of Celtic and their fans).

There has never been a special relationship - just an appetite in recent years to make mutually beneficial deals.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I hope our "bridges" with that mob are absolutely irreparably scorched if keeping them intact would mean having a "Yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" attitude every time they lob some paltry shekels our way for our best players.

I also hope that Lawell is stewing in his own pish today and that AEK hump them seven ways from Sunday in Greece.
    What. A. Post. 😍
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Blog Entries
    The long-running thread on Brenda on KS was entitled:

Brendan Rodgers - “I was born into Celtic....”

Last night it was changed to: Brendan Rodgers - “I was born into Celtic, but if that c*** Lawwell doesn’t get his finger out .....”

Testimonial Due
    I think fans on both sides are just thinking like fans.

There are no bridges - Hibs and Celtic have done lots of business lately because it has suited us both. It wasn't philanthropy.

Lawell, Petrie at al don't think or behave like fans- that is both a strength and a weakness for them.

Ultimately if they want to offload allan, they won't really care where he goes.

And from all the reports, we accepted their final bid - so what would they be annoyed about?

Business will be done against between Hibs and Celtic when it suits us both to do it. Be it tomorrow, next week or next year.

Allan also costs Celtic around 500k a year in wages - no CEO would be doing their job properly if they saddled their club with that cost when they didn't want to or need to, but to spite Hibs for a supposed slight.

Are they though? Have we even made an official approach for the player? I’m not so sure we have.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.