hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Paul Gascoigne

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Paul Gascoigne

He's on soccer am now, and deary me, looks like he's on very heavy medication, i wonder why they keep wheeling him out.as its quite painful to watch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Soccer AM has been just as painful to watch for years now too, once Lovejoy left it was downhill all the way, oh and hope Gascoigne can get through his troubles

Not surprised. I heard him on Five Live one morning during the World Cup and he sounded like he was under the influence of something.

Left by mutual consent!
    He’s left the building. Was he pulled or genuinely sick?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReg! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s left the building. Was he pulled or genuinely sick?
    He has substance addictions, which is recognised as an illness. I hope for his sake he's continuing to receive treatment.

He was in the news this week for splitting up with his latest partner.

Left Soccer AM early because he “wasn’t feeling well”.

They’re now doing a piece on Gaza that was obviously meant for him to be there. I know he would’ve been on a fee and the guy needs to make a living but I don’t know why they are rolling him out in front of the cameras at an obviously difficult time for him.

I saw him interviewed at the screening of the Bobby Robson film and he seemed, relatively speaking, in good nick. Shame if he's gone off the rails again.

Tbf to him plenty anti anxiety and anti depressant medications have quite severe side effects so it may be that as opposed to misuse.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I remember hearing his agent wasnt a nice man. I saw a video of him at an event drunk and near crying in the Q+A part. Whoevers in charge of his appearances needs to take more ownership of these situations. It’s not good for him and his mental health to be paraded at difficult times.

Hope he gets the help he needs and it works.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I remember hearing his agent wasnt a nice man. I saw a video of him at an event drunk and near crying in the Q+A part. Whoevers in charge of his appearances needs to take more ownership of these situations. It’s not good for him and his mental health to be paraded at difficult times.

Hope he gets the help he needs and it works.

His image from the 90 world cup in Italy has been all over the TV in the last month or so. Seeing him like that just shows him to be a poor soul. Badly advised to be on football show in that condition.

Coaching Staff
    From the time he beat his wife to the point of black eyes & broken bones I haven't had any time for the guy, how he gets away with some of his behaviour baffles me as does the poor Paul apologists.

I hate to say it but the guy has had more help than any addict ever. You could probably have got 100 people back on their feet with all the chances he has blown. He just isn't going to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I hate to say it but the guy has had more help than any addict ever. You could probably have got 100 people back on their feet with all the chances he has blown. He just isn't going to get better.
    That’s the spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by ChazD View Post
    That’s the spirit!
    It doesn't make me happy to say it but its probably true.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    An Audience with Paul Gascoigne

Rangers, Newcastle, Spurs & England Legend Paul Gascogne LIVE on stage at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre.
    Hear all the incredible stories from an amazing career.
    Standard & VIP Meet & Greet tickets ON SALE NOW.

Is he mentally well enough for a stage show ??

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    From the time he beat his wife to the point of black eyes & broken bones I haven't had any time for the guy, how he gets away with some of his behaviour baffles me as does the poor Paul apologists.
    Amazing how this is all forgotton about him. Dont feel sorry for him and no excuse for what he did.

Stubbs saying the other day what a great guy he is

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Amazing how this is all forgotton about him. Dont feel sorry for him and no excuse for what he did.
    Yes swept under the carpet, your normal Joe Bloggs would have been jailed.

Can’t stand him. Anyone who beats up woman doesn’t deserve any sympathy. He’s also had so much support and thrown it back in the faces of folk who tried to help him. Sorry but he’s still prick.

Gascoigne...meh

Two words Raoul Moat . Junkie wife beater waste of breath

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Can’t stand him. Anyone who beats up woman doesn’t deserve any sympathy. He’s also had so much support and thrown it back in the faces of folk who tried to help him. Sorry but he’s still prick.
    100% agree.

Thought he was a brilliant footballer, but he really was thick as mince. The daft laddy act only goes so far, now he needs to disappear. Unfortunately, for a person once loved by the nation, that is very difficult.

I really do sympathise, but he needs to disappear.

And also, the early TV exit was due to sleeping pills, not alcohol. Of course.................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45154515

Honestly couldn't give a monkeys what happens to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I've come to this conclusion of late. All the pranks etc I've never got with any players. Bullies

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Yes swept under the carpet, your normal Joe Bloggs would have been jailed.
    It was hardly swept under the carpet he was found guilty & charged for it.
    Just like Bartley was found guilty & charged for threatening to ruin a females life.
    Also Martin Boyle was found guilty & charged with drink driving.
    We should look closer to home before slating others.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Jim Baxter.
    2 liver ops
    All from alcohol abuse.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    There’s no doubt he’s had more help than anyone from a more normal background would’ve got, but a bit like George Best he will probably be an example to other footballers of how things can go wrong, and how clubs can better deal with the problems of addiction.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    It was hardly swept under the carpet he was found guilty & charged for it.
    Just like Bartley was found guilty & charged for threatening to ruin a females life.
    Also Martin Boyle was found guilty & charged with drink driving.
    We should look closer to home before slating others.
    Spot on.

He has mental health issues of which a common side issue is addictions. Nobody is condoning his misdemeanours but some of the comments on this thread are very disappointing.

If ever I saw a man with personal demons, Paul Gascoigne is the one. He clearly has mental health issues and, instead of getting the real help he needed with these as early as possible in his life, he had pretty crap mates, one of the highest profile jobs on the planet, people bigging him up, others shouting abuse at him and more money than was good for him.
    No, beating your wife is never excusable. No one is saying it is. But he's two different people. One who has addictions and real issues with some very tragic moments in his past. The other seems a guy who desperately loves what he does and wants to be liked.
    I heard a story from a friend of a friend who had a son who was picked as an Everton ball boy years ago. Although he wasn't playing then, 'Gazza' made sure he signed anything and everything the kid wanted him to. Really made a fuss of the boy and did it in a way which wasn't some carefully orchestrated PR initiative. Apparently there were also stories of him leaving training in a taxi and getting out whenever he saw kids playing football, just so he could get a game.
    He's a young man who was thrust into the public eye, given lots of money and all the choices that brought with it and made bad choice after bad choice...due, I'd expect, to what are clearly mental health issues.