hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Different points of view....

Couldn't be at the game today but managed to listen to most on the radio. The presenters and commentators all talking it up: a cracking a cup tie, great Hibs goals etc etc. John Hughes saying how the new midfielders all looked great etc. etc.

Then I had a quick look at the match day thread on hibs.net, and there is semi-hysteria at points, discussion of how brutal Hibs looked, what a long season it was going to be, and common reference to a non-existent midfield...

I'll wait for Johnny Boy's report to get a better idea. But it's a bit confusing...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I thought Hibs were poor today with far too many underperforming players.

An excellent win mind you but we can't play like that in big games starting next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't be at the game today but managed to listen to most on the radio. The presenters and commentators all talking it up: a cracking a cup tie, great Hibs goals etc etc. John Hughes saying how the new midfielders all looked great etc. etc.

Then I had a quick look at the match day thread on hibs.net, and there is semi-hysteria at points, discussion of how brutal Hibs looked, what a long season it was going to be, and common reference to a non-existent midfield...

I'll wait for Johnny Boy's report to get a better idea. But it's a bit confusing...
    Hibs were very poor today trust me on that. I doubt Johnny’s report will have many plus points in it. Anyone who thinks we played well need their eyes checked.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    We were awful today, haven't seen us play that bad in a long long time.

The first half was decent but the second half was just mind numbing, from both teams to be fair.

The goals were the only real quality in the game, both Mallan's and Horgan's came from nothing.

Can confirm that we were poor today. In fact I struggle to think of the last time I saw us that bad...

Very disjointed and scrappy. I guess this was due to new players getting used to each other, players being rested etc.

The positive was we kept going until the end and got the result.

I thought we were pretty poor but the players did really well to stick at and keep going right to the end.Still think we need more balance in midfield and to try and keep possesion better. We have however played a alot of games in short space of time whilst still bedding in new signings dealing with massive losses in midfield plus injuries.We still won which is the important think performances will pick up 👍.

We've had no real proper training sessions. It's been game, rest/recovery, game for last few weeks with Europe. Can understand today not being great. We won though and i reckon we'll kick on now.

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Hibs were very poor today trust me on that. I doubt Johnny’s report will have many plus points in it. Anyone who thinks we played well need their eyes checked.

Looked like the change in shape confused everyone

But i thought Horgan looked good

Left by mutual consent!
    Ok I will go to the opticians. We had a twenty min spell after they scored. We should have scored four

@hibs.net private member
    Strange to say on a five goal match. It was a flat performance. The important thing was we won though. Ross County did everything they could to interrupt the flow of the game though which didn’t help.

For the first time in a while Neil has a full uninterrupted week to work with the players. Think the season starts now.

We were always likely to be poor today. First time that midfield three had played together, first time we've played that formation in an age plus tiredness and the lost momentum from Thursday night.

Name in the hat for the next round and a big game to look forward to. 👍

Who listens to John Hughes ? Hibs were poor, especially 2nd half. Midfield disappeared for long spells and only a couple of great strikes got us through. Play like that against any top 6 side and we’re toast.

Just heading back from the match I thought we were very poor today. Plus points were Horgan and Mallan. Early days but Hyndman reminds me of Brian Hamilton. Hopefully a few more signings to come before the window closes. Really need some dig in the middle of the park.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I listened to it on the radio as well and i got a different vibe from what Yogi and co were saying.......yes it was a great game, but it was also very evident we were playing crap. It sounded like it was all Ross county.

If we had played well it probably wouldn’t have been as good a game as I think it’s fair to say if we’d played our best we would have won comfortably.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Hibs were crap and probably didn't deserve to go through, we lost the midfield when SW came on at HT imo. He was murder.

Blog Entries
    I know it’s a cliche, but three or four years ago we would have lost that game badly.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Had a decent 25 minute period in the first half but other than that we were pretty honking. Wins a win though and onto a good tie in the next round.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Hibs were crap and probably didn't deserve to go through, we lost the midfield when SW came on at HT imo. He was murder.
    Midfield only dominated for a 20 min spell. Mallan didn’t do much nor did Hyndman.
    Last edited by Dancehibs; 19-08-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancehibs View Post
    Ok I will go to the opticians. We had a twenty min spell after they scored. We should have scored four
    Having a 20 min spell doesn’t mean we played well. In fact if you can only say we played well for 20 mins during a 90 min game that says it all.

We were pretty poor today, particularly in the second half, but a couple of bits of quality made the difference and we got away with it. I’d have had no complaints if County had won it.

@hibs.net private member
    Didn’t think Whittaker was so bad that he needed singled out. Certainly was not the worst player on the pitch.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Not enough to bite or movement in midfield off the ball. As a neutral it was probably an exciting game but as a Hibs fan I expect us to be more comfortable on the ball and control the game better, especially at home.

I think that’s a bit harsh. Lost the ball two or three times but played some good passes too. Folk, not necessarily directed at you, can’t wait to see him make a mistake it seems.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Didn’t think Whittaker was so bad that he needed singled out. Certainly was not the worst player on the pitch.
    I actually agree. Can't really think of anything he did wrong. A few wayward passes sure, but he wasn't alone in that. Also kept the ball moving whenever he received it and always gave an option. Wasn't great but wasn't bad either.

Who listens to John Hughes ? Hibs were poor, especially 2nd half. Midfield disappeared for long spells and only a couple of great strikes got us through. Play like that against any top 6 side and we’re toast.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    Excellent result given the circumstances.

Not the best performance but plenty of encouraging signs (Horgan’s all round game, Mallan with another raker, Hyndman’s running with the ball at times) that I’m confident when we get a settled team and time to work on our play we will do more than ok.

First Team Breakthrough
    Having a 20 min spell doesn’t mean we played well. In fact if you can only say we played well for 20 mins during a 90 min game that says it all.
    Thought we were as poor as I've seen us for a good while. After they scored their second they could have another couple, our defensive discipline had completely gone and laidlaw kept us in it at that point. Missed hanlon massively imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancehibs View Post
    Midfield only dominated for a 20 min spell. Mallan didn’t do much nor did Haland.
    When did we sign him?
    Not bad though, he's rated in the millions😉

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    John Hughes didn’t say we played well.

He said it was a very good game. They’re two very different things.

Seemed a bit odd to play such a weakened side, in that, our first team have very little experience playing together, post McGinn, and have yet to win together. I'd have thought today was a good chance to give them a run out in what seemed like a very winnable game. Granted I'm sure guys are tired after Norway, but resting players when the ones who we'll be relying on next week have barely played together, either in whatever our new system is, or together full stop, could be risky.