hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 49 of 49
  1. #31
    I don't have the answer, but what it does show is the variety of options open to Lenny. The best Hibs teams I saw previous to this (since I narrowly missed out on the TTs in their pomp) were the best ones built by McLeish and Mowbray but they virtually picked themselves and there was little strength in depth. When you consider Lenny has apparently said he'd like another wide player and midfielder, he's obviously not scared to give himself difficult decisions to make. And this is after the departures of Dylan & SJM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,497
    SDG came closest to scoring last night. He has bundles of energy at the moment.

    I understand the conundrum but I donít think we can afford to drop our Captain right now.

    Possible we could go 3-4-3 with big Marv and Mallan in the middle but that might leave Flo isolated. Iíd fancy Danny Swanson on the left of a front 3, heís unpredictable and could unsettle Molde.

    Keeper (whoever is fit, they are all good)

    Efe Ryan PH

    SDG Marv Mallan Lewis

    Boyle Flo Danny

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    5,165
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get what you're saying but where do you fit in MacLaren and Shaw
    Depending on who you where playing and how u wanted to play. Maclaren could go in place of Hyndman and played slightly further forward

  5. #34
    Said it in another thread just recently but to start talking about changing what has been our most successful system in years simply because 2 players who would accommodate the same place in the formation are playing well would be ludicrous, neither Boyle nor Gray is a good enough player to think about changing formation simply to shoehorn them both in. Yes we have to adaptable throughout the season and I have no doubts we will play other formations and systems, but as long as we are playing well and winning games with the 3-5-2 it should remain our go-to tactic and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

  6. #35
    Testimonial Due GreenNWhiteArmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dalkeith
    Posts
    1,559
    David Gray IMO was MOTM last night, not Boyle. I see what the OP is saying though because Boyle was ineffective last night for me. there were one or two flashes where he got the ball and ran at his defenders and they looked petrified. He isn't a striker so playing in that space is a waste of a jersey almost.

    Particularly against top sides which Molde are, our back 5 first and foremost need to be able to defend. Without Grayin there last night I fear they would have torn us to pieces Ė even more so inthe 2nd leg. Heís also, as mentioned above an excellent out ball. Theamount of times the ball was, or could have been sprayed out to him allowing usto open them up was endless.

    I think as others mentioned as well, the season is long andhard. SDG isnít going to complete a whole season so there will be times when,if we play the 3 CBís he wont be needed but thereís also times where a third CBwont be needed and he reverts to RB so its a squad game.

    Maybe we need to give Boyle a free role in these games becausehis pace is so important


  7. #36
    Testimonial Due Cocaine&Caviar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canongate.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,789
    I personally think David Gray would be a great candidate for the right sided centre back spot, in the Azpilicueta mould.

    More than comfortable when drawn out wide, and can focus on defensive aspects which he is best at.

    However one of Porteous/McGregor loses out, with Ambrose moving to the middle of the 3.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,705
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You could, and I donít think we should do that either. As I said in another post, if Lennon needs to make a tough call and leave someone out then so be it.

    Although heís not fully fit, I think Flo also needs his mate back beside him.
    Was really surprised this never happened last night !

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Prestonfield
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,510
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have the answer, but what it does show is the variety of options open to Lenny. The best Hibs teams I saw previous to this (since I narrowly missed out on the TTs in their pomp) were the best ones built by McLeish and Mowbray but they virtually picked themselves and there was little strength in depth. When you consider Lenny has apparently said he'd like another wide player and midfielder, he's obviously not scared to give himself difficult decisions to make. And this is after the departures of Dylan & SJM.
    I was going to mention McLeish actually because in our third season back up he signed both De La Cruz and Alen Orman, and tried to play both in the same team. They'd often make the same runs and try to occupy the same spaces, and it didn't really work.

    As you say, we have real quality throughout the squad, which means there will always be very good players missing out. That's what we want though.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Prestonfield
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,510
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You could say the same with shoehorning Boyle in as a centre forward though when playing Gray on the right
    To be fair, Boyle started off as a centre forward at Montrose and played there for Dundee.

  11. #40
    We are at best with 3 at the back imo.

    I think we can play Boyle and gray but for that to happen Boyle will need to adapt and learn to play a bit more centrally. Iíd like to see him be given a totally free role picking the ball up on each wing etc.

    Another point Iíd like to make is I think daz is 100% the weak spot in our defence. As much as I love him as a player and what he has done for the club and the way he carries himself, I donít think itís a coincidence weíve kept 2 clean sheets on the bounce with him not in the team.

  12. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to mention McLeish actually because in our third season back up he signed both De La Cruz and Alen Orman, and tried to play both in the same team. They'd often make the same runs and try to occupy the same spaces, and it didn't really work.

    As you say, we have real quality throughout the squad, which means there will always be very good players missing out. That's what we want though.
    The McLeish team I was thinking of didn't contain either of those players, but I totally agree - Orman and De La Cruz just seemed to get in each other's road!

    Excited about the quality in the squad and Hyndman's wee cameo at the end was very promising. One thing I'd say about the conundrum on the right is that SDG has to play in current form.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    West side of Edimburgo
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,177
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Could Boyle play behind the strikers in a free role?

    Bogdan

    Efe
    Porteous
    Hanlon

    Gray (RWB)
    Mallan (CM)
    Boyle(AM free role)
    Marv(DM)
    Stevenson (LWB)

    Flo
    Jamie

  14. #43
    Testimonial Due HibbyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,912
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could Boyle play behind the strikers in a free role?

    Bogdan

    Efe
    Porteous
    Hanlon

    Gray (RWB)
    Mallan (CM)
    Boyle(AM free role)
    Marv(DM)
    Stevenson (LWB)

    Flo
    Jamie
    This is what I would go for with Boyle in a free role.

  15. #44
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally think David Gray would be a great candidate for the right sided centre back spot, in the Azpilicueta mould.

    More than comfortable when drawn out wide, and can focus on defensive aspects which he is best at.

    However one of Porteous/McGregor loses out, with Ambrose moving to the middle of the 3.
    The problem with that is that Efe is (generally) excellent where he is. I don't think he'd be anywhere as good in the middle of the 3, and he's not as good as part of a two or at RB. Having Efe and Hanlon able to go forward from those two roles with a stopper covering them is a very handy unit. Efe is one of our best players (quite possibly our best) in the current formation, which suits him.

    I should also say that after a very ropey start I think we've defended very well for the last 3 and a half games (one minor slip from Efe in Greece aside).


    It's tough because 3-5-2 has served us very well - the only problems with it are that we are struggling to accommodate both David Gray and Martin Boyle, it doesn't always suit Marvin Bartley, we can't play attacking wingers as well as full backs and that we're yet to resolve the midfield post-McGinn and McGeouch.

    I wouldn't be in a rush to change it, and I'd just be accepting that we need to rotate our squad and have good players rested occasionally.

    Injury, suspension and form will take care of decisions down the line.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Prestonfield
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem with that is that Efe is (generally) excellent where he is. I don't think he'd be anywhere as good in the middle of the 3, as part of a two or at RB. Having Efe and Hanlon able to go forward from those two roles with a stopper covering them is a very handy unit.

    I should also say that after a very ropey start I think we've defended very well for the last 3 and a half games (one minor slip from Efe in Greece aside).


    It's tough because 3-5-2 has served us very well - the only problems with it are that we are struggling to accommodate both David Gray and Martin Boyle, it doesn't always suit Marvin Bartley, we can't play attacking wingers as well as full backs and that we're yet to resolve the midfield post-McGinn and McGeouch.

    I wouldn't be in a rush to change it, and I'd just be accepting that we need to rotate our squad and have good players rested occasionally.

    Injury, suspension and form will take care of decisions down the line.
    Agree with all of this. Having too much quality for the first XI, especially when we've still some big transfer business to do, is a lovely problem to have; i.e. not a problem at all.

  17. #46
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    5,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could Boyle play behind the strikers in a free role?

    Bogdan

    Efe
    Porteous
    Hanlon

    Gray (RWB)
    Mallan (CM)
    Boyle(AM free role)
    Marv(DM)
    Stevenson (LWB)

    Flo
    Jamie
    No. Slivka and Swanson would both be better at that. Boyle is a winger, plain and simple. He should be played there or not at all. MacLaren and Shaw both better strikers.

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    30
    Posts
    478
    Could Gray play sweeper in a back 3?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #48
    Itíll be horses for courses.Strange how a week ago there were plenty complaining about a threadbare squad and now itís all about how we are going to get all the good players into the team.

    Seems to me pace is very important and Boyle is much quicker than Gray but not as strong.I think itís always a mistake to fit players in rather than a straightforward choice.Sorry to be a bore but years ago Danny McGrain was as near to being the best right back in the world as made no difference but Scotland often played him left back so that Sandy Jardine(a good player but thatís it)could play on the right.As a result the team suffered.

  20. #49
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRE
    Posts
    6,810
    3-5-2 works for us. Both Ambrose and Hanlon are comfortable bringing the ball out and adding an extra man to midfield.

    For me it isn't Boyle vs Gray but Gray vs Maclaren. In games where we expect to dominate possession I'd play Boyle at RWB and have Maclaren up front with Kamberi. In games where we need to be more defensive it would be Gray at RWB and the pace of Boyle alongside Kamberi.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved