hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Hibs v Molde

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just thought he was quite poor tonight in general albeit had a better 2nd half. Not sure if he was asked by Lennon to float in first half but was barely near any of their players to attempt to win the ball back nor did he seem to mark anyone.

Was a massive opportunity for him tonight with mcginn gone, although it would be a massive ask for him to be on the same level as SJM, but don't think he grabbed the opportunity at all.
    Problem is we don’t know what he was asked to do. As far as I saw it in the first half, Bartley and Slivka dropped deeper and regularly took positions that shielded the 3 CBs. They worked closely with the CBs to pass their markers on to them (good communication). Mallan contributed more to the high press with Boyle, Kamberi, Gray and Stevenson. I have no idea what Slivka was told but for large spells of the first half, it certainly looked like Mallan was told to contribute to the press. Slivka joined in a few times now and then.

We will change our play style, we won’t get a McGinn, nobody will take the opportunity to replace McGinn. We need to have some patience with these players, the core of our midfield has been decimated this summer and players will need to step up. They need to get used to each other’s games though and that takes time. It’ll be the same when Efe, Hanlon and McGregor are gone. Partnerships and understanding will start from scratch as the new players come in.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Problem is we don’t know what he was asked to do. As far as I saw it in the first half, Bartley and Slivka dropped deeper and regularly took positions that shielded the 3 CBs. They worked closely with the CBs to pass their markers on to them (good communication). Mallan contributed more to the high press with Boyle, Kamberi, Gray and Stevenson. I have no idea what Slivka was told but for large spells of the first half, it certainly looked like Mallan was told to contribute to the press. Slivka joined in a few times now and then.

We will change our play style, we won’t get a McGinn, nobody will take the opportunity to replace McGinn. We need to have some patience with these players, the core of our midfield has been decimated this summer and players will need to step up. They need to get used to each other’s games though and that takes time. It’ll be the same when Efe, Hanlon and McGregor are gone. Partnerships and understanding will start from scratch as the new players come in.
    Yea fair enough mate, you make a good point

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Such a contrast of opinions on here, thought porteous & ambrose were superb.

Thought slivka was like a rabbit in headlights in the first half didn't know where to stand when to go when to drop back who to mark. He improved slightly in the 2nd half but he's definitely no replacement for mcginn for me.
    Whereas first half I thought Slivka was composed on the ball, didn’t miss a pass and was driving forward whenever we had the ball getting into dangerous positions. 2nd half I thought he tired around 60/65.

I don’t think he is ever going to be an outstanding defensive midfielder but I really like what he brings to the team. Bartley gave him and Mallan a bit more freedom.

If Oli had teed him up near the end he could have been the hero tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    No failures tonight for me. Kamberi was subdued by his standards but he was up against real quality and wasn't fully fit IMO.

I think Slivka's qualities are obvious, not really sure what people can't see. Granted he hasn't had a truly outstanding 90 minutes yet, but I think he'll be a big player for us.

Porteous was excellent, got done by the boy a couple of times but gave him plenty too. The fact that the boy got the shepherd's crook says a lot about his performance.

Efe was awesome. Mallan is such a huge threat and it's a joy watching his technique as he spreads play about.

Really enjoyed the game tonight, was a great contest against quality opposition.
    Pretty much how I saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Just reading through this and seeing people have a go at Slivka. I thought he was great first half, but like the Tripolis 2nd leg, tired a little bit in the second. Good performance all around, however not too surprised to see negative comments as Slivka seems to get the brunt of most them at the moment.

Good contest, thought we just about shaded it and were especially unlucky with a couple of chances. Nothing to fear from the away leg. GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Baw187 View Post
    We were unlucky not to win tonight. Small margins in Mallan’s strike, Gray’s header, and Emerson’s chance at the end, going in or not.

Think we have got a lot wiser in how to approach different games and manage them. We played a great team in a calm and controlled way. We weren’t naive going chasing things and leaving ourselves exposed. Again, we were organised at the back and weathered everything that came our way and looked dangerous going forward. On Sunday we essentially closed the game down after going 3 up as well. Lennon has us playing very astutely.

In previous years I’d be convinced that this tie was over and that we’d never win over in Norway, but things are different with this team.
    we played a very good side, who are probably well into their season ? the Skandic leagues are usually a good bit in front, in that sense. I was a bit worried at times, with their possession and slick passing around the 18 yard box in the first half and the wee pony tail guy was a box o' tricks. our back line did well to deal with it, although Hanlon's attempted long ball pass is shocking at times. Mallan's couple of attempts, Boyle's too and the header from SDG were all quuite unlucky as their goalie made great saves. Abit disappointed, but not undonted. we can still get through as I think we can score over there. Kamberi though looked a bit off the pace although he did not have great service.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    When exiting the stand last night there was a nice moment of appreciation for ole gunnar solskjaer.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post

Learning to play without Mcginn will not happen overnight.

Slivka definitely worth persevering with and I think we need to be patient. I think the issue with him (and Swanson to a degree) is that they are trying to make a match winning contribution every time they get the ball. They seem rushed and lack composure.

Getting more game time will helpfully increase his confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Just reading through this and seeing people have a go at Slivka. I thought he was great first half, but like the Tripolis 2nd leg, tired a little bit in the second. Good performance all around, however not too surprised to see negative comments as Slivka seems to get the brunt of most them at the moment.
    Thought Slivka started quite well. But he has a tendency to go missing a bit for me. Keep saying there is a player in there but he really needs to step up and start showing it now.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Thought they were very comfortable on the ball but never had any bite about them. Though Sir David had scored with the header and when was the last time we had a shot hit the bar then go in.
    They'll be a different team at home. The sat deep last night and hoped for a counter attack that didn't work out for them. They'll come at us over there.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    They'll be a different team at home. The sat deep last night and hoped for a counter attack that didn't work out for them. They'll come at us over there.
    From what i read in the build up to this match they love to play counter attacking football all the time and that's the only way they know how to play. I think that also partly explains how we set up last night and didn't over commit players forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    From what i read in the build up to this match they love to play counter attacking football all the time and that's the only way they know how to play. I think that also partly explains how we set up last night and didn't over commit players forward.
    I think that was why we stood of them a bit at times. They were comfortable bringing the ball out from the back. If we’d pressed too much they’d just have popped it round us. It’s a bit frustrating to watch because you naturally want the players to get after them but sometimes you just can’t. The way we played prevented them from having a single shot on target.

I don’t think it’ll be much different next week. A goal either way might be enough. Thankfully we have the draw as well.