hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Too many loan signings

This new lad Hyndman, makes four loan signings already. Surely we are in a position to start properly investing in our own talent. They might be great short term, but when they leave we are back to square one. The club has never been in a better position to invest in good talent and really kick on and distance ourselves from the rest of the pack.

The fans have shown that when the product on the park is good, we will show up in record numbers. Financially the purse strings need loosened and good quality players signed permanently.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We've got an option for permanent deal on Maclaren, Bogdan is a backup anyway.

We need another player or two (Scotty Allan would be a big step) but it feels different to the loan signings we had in different years. It feels more like it's giving us depth than plugging holes.

Hopefully now the McGinn money is in the bank we can complete the job.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This new lad Hyndman, makes four loan signings already. Surely we are in a position to start properly investing in our own talent. They might be great short term, but when they leave we are back to square one. The club has never been in a better position to invest in good talent and really kick on and distance ourselves from the rest of the pack.

The fans have shown that when the product on the park is good, we will show up in record numbers. Financially the purse strings need loosened and good quality players signed permanently.
    The fans will still turn up in good numbers if we have 11 of the first team on loan and they do the business.

The core of the side are signed on deals more than 1 year, and some of the loans are then made into longer deals.

I suppose after a great start to the season, we've gone from being under prepared to having too many loans, god i long for the days we were moaning about fighting relegation, and signing Rowan Vine and Tudor ****in Jones.

Weve got a deal to sign maclaren permanantly and got kamberi and mallan on 4 year deals (i think). Fans might be out in numbers but were still seriously damaged by the tv deal we recieve when were competing for players.

I'd also say our loan signings are ones 'the rest of the pack' wouldn't manage to get on loan.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I trust Lennon, if he's happy then so am I

The team of the second half of last season could sometimes contain 4 loan players - Barker, Allan, Kamberi and McLaren (never less than 3 of them) and that was one of the best Hibs teams I've seen.

If the payers are right, it works.

Kamberi and Mallan have signed decent length contracts this summer so are committed to being here for a while, and McLaren has been here before so shouldn't take too long to slot back in.

The continued emergence of Porteous and Shaw (who are both presumably on decent length contracts) will help our stability.

We continue to have a solid core of players who are on longer contracts, a few here for a couple of years and then complementing that with some real quality via the loan system seems to me to be an ideal way to build an effective team and squad.

I'm all for it.

The key though is to be adding these players to an already strong base, rather than attempting to apply sticking plasters to a crap team Fenlon-style.

I can see where you are coming from it’s great to get players such as barker on loan but we need to reinvest season ticket money / UEFA / Mcginn money back into permanent contracts or it will be the same merry go round every summer.

Still plenty time tho and the hibs bank balance will be busting now so no excuses.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    False

Trust the manager and people in charge, some people said the same in January and look at the last 7/8 months.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    dont care how many loan players we have as long as we win

We had 4 players who featured significantly in the first team for the second half of last season in Allan, Kamberi, Maclaren and Barker and I don't remember there being too much fuss caused. Besides, Bogdan was only brought in as backup to play until Marciano is fit and we have an option to sign Maclaren on a permanent deal at the end of his current loan.

Agyepong fills the hole left by Barker and Hyndman gives us an extra option in midfield. Provided the rest of our acquisitions are permanent deals I see no problem, and personally if the players we are getting in on loan are of a better quality than what is available on permanent deals I don't have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Weve got a deal to sign maclaren permanantly and got kamberi and mallan on 4 year deals (i think). Fans might be out in numbers but were still seriously damaged by the tv deal we recieve when were competing for players.

I'd also say our loan signings are ones 'the rest of the pack' wouldn't manage to get on loan.
    With McGinn's money, season ticket sales and the money from Europe, we have money to spend. So far we have signed Mallan and Kamberi. Two players and the rest on loan. It should be the opposite way around when bringing players in.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Not as bad with loans as it was several years ago, when we'd start with a new team each season. We've been much more unsettled with the squad in the past.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Maybe we can loan players who are way better than we can afford to buy by paying a bigger chunk of their wages.

I dont care. The loans we’ve had under Lennon have been brilliant for us. It’s been covered in one of the other threads.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    The fans will still turn up in good numbers if we have 11 of the first team on loan and they do the business.

The core of the side are signed on deals more than 1 year, and some of the loans are then made into longer deals.

I suppose after a great start to the season, we've gone from being under prepared to having too many loans, god i long for the days we were moaning about fighting relegation, and signing Rowan Vine and Tudor ****in Jones.

At least we could get the likes of vine and Joe keenan on permanent deals. Those were the days.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Loans are big part of football now with all the rich clubs stockpiling players. Even big clubs sign players on loan. I trust Lennon and Dempster know what they are doing and have made good use of the loan market ie Kamberi and MacLaren plus others. For what it's worth I think Hyndman is a good player from what recall of him from the Huns.

As it stands NOW, we have a weaker squad than the one that finished last season. We have the same two up top, but the midfield has severely been weakened. Dylan Allan and now SJM are all gone. If your happy to keep bringing in loan players, great, I'd much rather we brought our own players in.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    We could always go down the route of our esteemed neighbours and sign about 15 while taking more on loans.

I'm sure our managment team identified the type of player we wanted and the funds available to secure on a contract. Step 2 consided if we can or cannot afford to buy if available or borrow if the price was too high or the club didn't want to sell.
    What we are seeing is a number of loans and a significant number of longer term signings bolstering the team and making the changes necessary in the close season less and less difficult over the longer term.

I'm sure by the end of this year there will be less all round betwetting as some more of us see that the plan is working.

There also seems to be a good team spirit at Hibs with players keen to play for each other which is good management. News gets out its a good club to go to and yes the fans play a massive part in that too.If they play well then its all good.
    Some previous loanees were more interested in George street than Easter road.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    As it stands NOW, we have a weaker squad than the one that finished last season. We have the same two up top, but the midfield has severely been weakened. Dylan Allan and now SJM are all gone. If your happy to keep bringing in loan players, great, I'd much rather we brought our own players in.
    We have brought in Mallan who hasn't started to badly, now we have cash I would expect a few faces in. Our window doesn't close tomorrow so still time

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    DetroitHibs loves a negative post about Hibs 🤔

Joint top of the league and still in Europe, unbeaten winning 4 of our first 5 competitive fixtures, big crowds for midweek games at ER - we are doing something right.

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So far this season, we’ve won 3 and drawn 1 Europa game and won our opening league game handsomely. Maybe wait and see how more results go before spouting pish about weaker squads and midfields...... you never know eh, we may get some great results..... mind you, after a few bad ones you’ll be happy saying I told you so

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    With McGinn's money, season ticket sales and the money from Europe, we have money to spend. So far we have signed Mallan and Kamberi. Two players and the rest on loan. It should be the opposite way around when bringing players in.
    Remember we also brought in money with the sale of Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by therealgavmac View Post
    So far this season, we’ve won 3 and drawn 1 Europa game and won our opening league game handsomely. Maybe wait and see how more results go before spouting pish about weaker squads and midfields...... you never know eh, we may get some great results..... mind you, after a few bad ones you’ll be happy saying I told you so
    Spouting pish. Is this squad better than the one that finished last year? Yes or no? Think your the one spouting pish.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Spouting pish. Is this squad better than the one that finished last year? Yes or no? Think your the one spouting pish.
    That squad took until the end of January to construct, we are currently only 1 week into the new league season.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

The football market has changed in the last couple of years. There are a lot more deals to be made where clubs pay a fee for the loan and then have a set price to buy, or first option.

That reflects the longer-term impact of Bosman, but also player ownership arrangements. That is often at a higher level than Hibs but there is a knock-on effect.

As it stands, we do properly invest in our own talent - it's based at East Mains. I've seen enough youth and dev sides to know how difficult it is to predict who might make the breakthrough, but I'm confident that Shaw and Porteous are there, Murray potentially, and in the current dev line-up there are a good few who have the potential to make it. The big caveat is that even getting one player out of an age group is a success - Hanlon was fast-tracked out his group who contained some great young players who nevertheless didn't make it with us.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Doesn’t bother me tbh. Would like us to buy a replacement for SJM tho.

Settle....

Left by mutual consent!
    We were always going to be a in a weaker position. We have lost our best midfield in many a year but its now about getting the right players in to get us to where we want to be. Everyone knew Dylan and SJM were going so lets move on and support the team.

Come on ma bonnie boys

For me, it's more the quality of the player that's important rather than the terms of the deal. Of course, I'd prefer to get every signing on 3-4 year contracts but it simply isn't possible.

As long as we continue to bring through youth players such as Shaw and Porteous, and there is a balance between permanent and loan signings while the quality remains high, I'll be happy.

Think you're doing the midfielders we have a disservice by saying that its 'severely' weakened, though I expect you were exaggerating to drive home your point. Yes we all loved Dylan, Allan and McGinn but Mallan has hit the ground running and Hyndman is a pretty tidy player from what I remember of him, would also expect it would be the #1 area we look to invest in with the McGinn money. Also worth pointing out that despite your adversity to bringing in loan players you're happy to wax lyrical about a midfield with Scott Allan in it, who was on loan at the time.