hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Banning heading for those under the age of 18

Heading a football should be restricted in the professional game and banned for those under the age of 18, according to one of the world's leading experts on brain injuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45110282

Views?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Clearly never did John Hughes any harm

Heading the ball is a fundamental part of the game and for certain positions it's absolutely critical that you are good at it to make it at a high level. It would be like a different sport.

Pretty much every single sport is dangerous to one degree or another , if this thing is allowed to happen its the minority (who probably never even played the game) dictating to the majority.

It really can't be good for you, but would fundamentally change the game if banned.
    I guess the only viable option would be to ban headers outside the box.

They going to ban boxing then??

Those heavy old balls would definitely have been a problem, but I'd be surprised if these modern light ones were that bad.

@hibs.net private member
    Taking it too far. Good to know about the risk but you would stop loads of great activities if you eliminated all risk. Far more chance of serious injuries in motorcycling, ski jumping etc

Millions of people suffer from Alzheimer’s, although a horrendous condition, and other brain diseases, but can the prove a link to heading a ball?

Left by mutual consent!
    If explained what may happen it should be left to people if they can to chose. We seem to be getting decisions taken away from us all more often.

The players could wear helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, two of you go for the same ball.......broken nose

No scrums in rugby then?

Seeing things like this gets me raging, headering is a skill and an important one in football. Imagine not heading a ball until 18 - how many 50p heeds would there be

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Heading the ball is a valuable skill that requires good timing and technique to do it right.

What the hell are players going to do when they start playing professionally and have no clue how to header the ball because they weren't allowed to as youth players.

Utter nonsense that's an overreaction to concussions and brain injuries in other sports like Rugby and American Football. Completely ignores the fact it is the tackling and aggressive physical contact to the head that causes the problem in these sports which doesn't happen in football.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    He may well be right, who are we to dispute the opinion of someone who specializes in this field?

However, applying it to the game just isn't realistic. You're going to instinctively header the ball if you're challenging for it anywhere on the pitch, or see a goal scoring opportunity.

It would be totally bizarre to see how players would try and win the ball in the middle of the park, when neither player can jump up to header it.

Quote Originally Posted by Estupendo View Post
    If the issue is repeated trauma to the brain, would helmets do much?

Without headers we may now be on 116 years.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Millions of people suffer from Alzheimer’s, although a horrendous condition, and other brain diseases, but can the prove a link to heading a ball?
    My dad died from Alzheimer’s and my mother in law currently suffers from it.
    I seriously doubt either of them headed a football in their lives.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I tend to agree with the "Nanny State" posters, but then again if we banned under 16's from kicking the ball above head height, we might fundamentally change the way Scottish football is played for the better !

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    My dad died from Alzheimer’s and my mother in law currently suffers from it.
    I seriously doubt either of them headed a football in their lives.
    Sorry to hear that but it doesn’t mean there isn’t a link between heading the ball and Alzheimer’s.

Left by mutual consent!
    Been a lot of ex footballers in the press recently linking dementia to headering the ball.

I expect their opinion is as scientific as anyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Sorry to hear that but it doesn’t mean there isn’t a link between heading the ball and Alzheimer’s.
    That's what he was saying!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Didn’t know there were so many neuro scientists on Hibs.net.

Can only hope you are all publishing your research to counter the ‘utter nonsense’ you are apparently reading.

Obviously banning heading for u18s would have a fairly considerable impact on the game... but maybe there is good reason to do so?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geohibby View Post
    They going to ban boxing then??

only uppercuts, as that can lead to someone losing their head

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Heading a football should be restricted in the professional game and banned for those under the age of 18, according to one of the world's leading experts on brain injuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45110282

Views?
    Boxing's okay though. So is mountaineering, diving, pot-holing, rugby. cycling, etc. Sledgehammer to kill a fly stuff.
    I wish when these researchers publish their findings they would leave it up to the individual (or parent) to make their own judgement instead of legislating every damn thing. Freedom of choice is eroding every minute and one day we'll not be able to do anything.
    (Sorry, just read other posts and most are saying more or less the same as me)
    Last edited by snooky; 08-08-2018 at 10:57 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Taking it too far. Good to know about the risk but you would stop loads of great activities if you eliminated all risk. Far more chance of serious injuries in motorcycling, ski jumping etc

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Boxing's okay though. So is mountaineering, diving, pot-holing, rugby. cycling, etc. Sledgehammer to kill a fly stuff.
    I wish when these researchers publish their findings they would leave it up to the individual (or parent) to make their own judgement instead of legislating every damn thing. Freedom of choice is eroding every minute and one day we'll not be able to do anything.
    Agree with this.

Education is key. Make people aware of the possible risks of the sport, then let them make their own choice about whether they still want to participate or not.

Risks of short term or long term injuries exist all over the place and as you say, if they start legislating everything as a result, then what does it leave?

Other things that aren't good for you because they could do damage to your well being.
    Driving a car
    Flying
    Joining the Army
    Hunting
    Parachuting
    Scuba diving
    Smoking
    Drinking alcohol
    Ice skating
    Sailing

The list is endless. Life is a constant risk. Eliminate all the risks and then .... why even bother living in the first place?

First Team Breakthrough
    To be fair to the BBC post and the doctor, that's not what is being said, nor is it a published article. it is an opinion espoused on a radio programme by a guy with fairly impeccable credentials in the field.

That notwithstanding, it is the sort of reporting that is a dog-whistle to those who don't think things through (not you Snooky!). I have a vision of over-protective parents forcing little Johnny or Jenna to turn up for games and giving strict instructions to the coach that they are not allowed to head the ball.

It is almost certainly indisputable that impacting a high velocity football with your napper is not going to do you much good, but it comes down to a risk analysis. Around 2.5 million footballers in the UK, what is the evidence on how many develop complications as a result of heading? when the best known and much quoted example of this remains Jeff Astle, it does kind of suggest that it is a tiny, tiny number.

The danger of this kind of article is that it promotes OTT, knee jerk reactions to relatively small risk, and in football given its profile there is a greater risk of this type of reaction.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Or see it as a positive? Not that I agree with it but it will reach the fundamentals of ball control/passing game and stop folk lumping it up the park!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    To be fair to the BBC post and the doctor, that's not what is being said, nor is it a published article. it is an opinion espoused on a radio programme by a guy with fairly impeccable credentials in the field.

That notwithstanding, it is the sort of reporting that is a dog-whistle to those who don't think things through (not you Snooky!). I have a vision of over-protective parents forcing little Johnny or Jenna to turn up for games and giving strict instructions to the coach that they are not allowed to head the ball.

It is almost certainly indisputable that impacting a high velocity football with your napper is not going to do you much good, but it comes down to a risk analysis. Around 2.5 million footballers in the UK, what is the evidence on how many develop complications as a result of heading? when the best known and much quoted example of this remains Jeff Astle, it does kind of suggest that it is a tiny, tiny number.

The danger of this kind of article is that it promotes OTT, knee jerk reactions to relatively small risk,
    and in football given its profile there is a greater risk of this type of reaction.
    Good post - esp the highlighted part.

Recently there was a report of a fatal accident where a joyrider killed someone while driving at approx 70mph in a 40mph zone. There were people screaming after the fact for the section of road to be reduced to 30mph to try and prevent this happening again.
    Go figure.