hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    They are hurting on so many levels. Hibs refusing to accept their crumby offers, Hibs getting a better deal elsewhere, and ultimately John choosing a lower league English club over them. Their sense of self-importance and delusion challenged in so many ways. Their media buddies were also embarrassed. Well done Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I suppose they could do it but it would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. We have been able in the past to give game time at a good level to players in their squad who couldn't get in their team and were languishing on and sometimes not even on the bench.

Also by taking them on loan, we have helped save on their wage bill. So, all in all, an arrangement that has suited both clubs. Having a major strop over THEIR failure to capture SJM would be counter-productive IMO

They should use the experience as a valuable lesson to be learned - don't mess with Rod and Leeann and stop treating Scottish clubs so arrogantly.

What did they want Hibs to do? Give them McGinn for pennies when everyone knows they have the money? Celtic have arsed this up massively and only have themselves to blame.

They would rather spend millions on fancy lighting and grass for Champions League games than pay the going rate for a clubs best player. They've lost out on an absolute gem.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    We can't go about giving them preferential treatment. But once they matched the AV offer (assuming it was actually, and wholly, matched) then it may have been in our interests to see him go there instead. It is what it is though, and they messed up and then SJM made a decision - there isn't much they could actually be annoyed at Hibs about if they stopped to think about it.

It's a shame if we can't continue to deal with them amicably though, as they have certainly provided us with some quality players recently and we are, presumably, trying to continue that trend with another Allan deal.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What did they want Hibs to do? Give them McGinn for pennies when everyone knows they have the money?
    Yes, they are arrogant enough to presume that they are entitled to expect other clubs in Scotland to kowtow to their every whim! We should be grateful for any crumbs they condescend to allow to come our way.

They need to learn some respect but I wonder if this experience will just present them with another excuse to nurse their historic (and unjustified) sense of grievance and blame Hibs for their own obvious failings.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think if Hibs come in for Scott Allan, Brenda will be happy to let him come to us. He’s obviously pissed off with the board and will want to make a point. I can genuinely see him walking soon in any case!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Surely this is like saying Celtic selling to Liverpool is burning bridges with Southampton, we’ve just done them a favour and cut out the middle man

Celtic have been difficult to deal with every time we’ve dealt with them recently regardless of whether deals were done or not. It’s just business!

We accepted their bid which was the same as Villa’s - where the problem?

Ask Brendan Rodgers who’s to blames and I bet he won’t say Hibs!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Scott McDonald was saying on the radio that Celtic have 4 levels of pay structure, the lower being squad players and the higher being the top stars, if McGinn is getting the wage suggested he'd be on level 4 wage at Celtic and Lawwell would only see him as a level 2 wage, around the same as Allan £7k.

Going to Villa was a no brainer for McGinn as Celtic only seen him as an option from the bench and not a starter.
    McDonald clearly knows .. as that is indeed how Celtc work, and SA is on £7k basic a week..

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Are they though? Have we even made an official approach for the player? I’m not so sure we have.
    I don't know whether we have or not, but I think that's because we do our business in private rather than updating the media at every step, or responding to media speculation.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReg! View Post
    I think if Hibs come in for Scott Allan, Brenda will be happy to let him come to us. He’s obviously pissed off with the board and will want to make a point. I can genuinely see him walking soon in any case!

Brenda will only walk if he has another job lined up.

Which EPL club might want him? Leicester maybe?

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    The pages of history show that Celtic has benefited more from Hibernian than Hibernian has ever benefited from Celtic IMHO, irrespective of how any loan agreements over the past half dozen seasons may cloud that analysis.

Where was Celtic during our darkest days of 1990/1991?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    If any such bridges ever existed, I hope this has well and truly nuked them.

As a club, Celtc are a cancer to the Scottish League. They built an empire on Irish politics and religious sectarianism - they appealed to a sect of society that buys into that particular narrative and amassed solid money to let them kick on (it's a reason they've no real interest in eradicating this from their club's identity - it's worth too much money). They've used that money to build and grow, and now hold a financial axe over the entirety of Scottish football. They seem to think that gives them power, and they've wielded that for their own self-interests for seasons.

Their almost inevitable guarantee of Champions League football and the money that brings properly gives them an arrogance. They devalue every other club in the country, offering paltry sums for their best players, then having the audacity to blame everybody else for their failures in Europe because of a lack of domestic competition. They then loan these great prospects out to other clubs, providing temporary quality to teams except when they have to play against them. Thus meaning they control yet another part of the league dynamics. Not to mention that referees are ****-scared of them because of how the club has outwardly villified them in years gone by.

I'd be quite happy if not a single Hibernian player ever heads along the M8 to join them ever again, unless their board learn to value players accordingly and stop insulting us (and every other club in the country). I wish their fans would **** off with their "special connection" garbage, and I wish ours would too. I wish our fans would remember that banner they unfurled at Easter Road a few years back, calling us their feeder club (that banner is the reason I'll never put an "i" in their name again).

They're a horrible institution, top to bottom, back to front. Not the kind of club I'd be proud to have any connections to, even if it does mean the odd loan deal here and there. These don't progress us as a team, as you can only build one season at a time anyway. So while it would be nice to have players of Allan's calibre at the club, if they're going ot be dicks because we sold our player at our valuation, then **** them. **** **** **** them. And **** them some more.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Rodgers might be happy dealing but us but Lawwell most certainly won’t be for the next wee while. I can’t see him giving us the steam off his p*ss for the foreseeable future.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    It's just business... is what they kept telling us every time they upped their *****y offer by £250k. Works both ways. **** them, and their evil twins in Govan!

Hibs haven't done anything wrong, we put a price tag on our best player, Celtic didn't meet that so we rightly told them no. Typical OF, take the huff when someone refuses to roll over and do exactly what they want. Them and the huns have always been the same, try to tap up any talent in Scotland for dirt cheap.

Good on hibs for standing firm and refusing to budge. I couldn't care less if they love us or hate us, no way should we be letting them away with stealing our best player for a pitence just to keep them sweet. **** them. They had the money to meet our asking price but they tried to play silly beggars and showed their usual disrespect to another Scottish club.

More fool them, they missed out on a cracking player. It's not hibs the celtic fans should be angry at, it's their board.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 09-08-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Celtic are just another club. Of late we have conducted a number of loan deals for their players, but the fact that both our managers at the time were well liked and respected Celtic old boys was a far bigger factor than any so called 'special relationship' between us and them … if proof of that was required Celtic's conduct in this affair is all you need.

They have done just as well out of the loan deals as we have, by keeping their fringe players in the shop window their value has been maintained or even increased, Liam Henderson ( Bari ) and Anthony Stokes ( Blackburn ) being cases in point, with both players stints with us being a success.

Besides that, if we are going to have a 'special relationship' with a club at all I would far rather it was Man City … what shouldn't be forgotten is that had we faced Celtic and not Sevco in the 2016 cup final both Stokes and Henderson would have been unavailable to play. If you are going to win anything in this country you will almost certainly at some point have to beat Celtic, and to do that you will need your strongest line up possible on the park, the fewer players of theirs you have on the books the better.

If Celtic thought our gratitude for the crumbs from their table had actually created some sort of bond between the clubs that meant we were going to bend over and let them shaft us they clearly had forgotten who they were dealing with, we have proved in the past that the folk in our boardroom are shrewd operators when it comes to transfer dealings. Its not 100% certain that that was the case, but if it was they were as delusional as their supporters when it comes to Celtic's 'relationship' with Hibs … shared history and colours or not, they are a rival, nothing more nothing less, and if the dawning realisation of that puts them in a big huff that's just too bad.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 09-08-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Now McGinn has moved to Aston Villa, have we severely damaged any good relationship we had with Celtic

Now, I’m not suggesting we should have sold SJM for a low price to Celtic to keep them sweet but this could have longer term damage to us

I am extremely proud of Hibs for taking a stand against the old firm trying to get an Scottish based player on the cheap from a rival, I hope the others will follow suit but I also doubt that other clubs are in as strong a position as us to do so

Not a great day for Celtic yesterday. 1-1 with AEK and losing out on McGinn will have the Celtic fans very annoyed at the clubs management. Peter Lawwell getting a lot of criticism online and he is reportedly extremely peeved at us!

His fault for mucking us about and trying to get SJM on the ultra cheap (but this can also be classed as his job, get players for as cheap as possible and sell for as high as possible)

We have done VERY well with loans and transfers in recent seasons, Stokes, McGeough, Henderson, Commons and Ambrose of the top on my head

Which brings me onto Allan... I really doubt that Celtic will be keen to work with us on this transfer (perminent or loan). Call is business or spite but this could be a real sign of things to come.

Hopefully once the dust has settled this will not affect us but I won’t be holding my breath

Time will tell and GGTTH

They gave us those players whilst we were in the championship, not a direct competitor

There will come a time again when one of our players ends up going to Celtic in the future but it will be for the right price, Celtic made an arse of this, if they knew how highly he is rated they should have bid appropriately.

I don't think it will sour things players come and go all the time deals fall through, it's just football.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

https://thecelticblog.com/2018/08/bl...-except-villa/

A typically magnanimous Celic fan's perspective with inside financial knowledge included.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Celtic have been difficult to deal with every time we’ve dealt with them recently regardless of whether deals were done or not. It’s just business!

We accepted their bid which was the same as Villa’s - where the problem?

Ask Brendan Rodgers who’s to blames and I bet he won’t say Hibs!!
    It was clear in the run up to McGinn’s decision that a lot of ‘high profile’ folk, including Rodgers, were saying that Hibs were absolutely right to hold out for the best price they could get. In the case of Rodgers, I’m certain that despite patronising us, he believed deep down that McGinn was theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Now McGinn has moved to Aston Villa, have we severely damaged any good relationship we had with Celtic

Now, I’m not suggesting we should have sold SJM for a low price to Celtic to keep them sweet but this could have longer term damage to us

I am extremely proud of Hibs for taking a stand against the old firm trying to get an Scottish based player on the cheap from a rival, I hope the others will follow suit but I also doubt that other clubs are in as strong a position as us to do so

Not a great day for Celtic yesterday. 1-1 with AEK and losing out on McGinn will have the Celtic fans very annoyed at the clubs management. Peter Lawwell getting a lot of criticism online and he is reportedly extremely peeved at us!

His fault for mucking us about and trying to get SJM on the ultra cheap (but this can also be classed as his job, get players for as cheap as possible and sell for as high as possible)

We have done VERY well with loans and transfers in recent seasons, Stokes, McGeough, Henderson, Commons and Ambrose of the top on my head

Which brings me onto Allan... I really doubt that Celtic will be keen to work with us on this transfer (perminent or loan). Call is business or spite but this could be a real sign of things to come.

Hopefully once the dust has settled this will not affect us but I won’t be holding my breath

Time will tell and GGTTH
    Bridges with Celtic?Who cares?Anyone who thinks Celtic did us favours over transfers and loans should get out more.The only reason any players came to us from Celtic was because they didn’t want them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post

A typically magnanimous Celic fan's perspective with inside financial knowledge included.
    The guy’s a blinkered muppet like 99.9% of them.

Left by mutual consent!
    If SJM was playing for Villa and Celtic wanted him I bet they would have paid what was asked. They seem to think nothing of paying out millions for players outside SPL but when it comes to players from the SPL they want it seems they are to be the cheap purchases.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    It was clear in the run up to McGinn’s decision that a lot of ‘high profile’ folk, including Rodgers, were saying that Hibs were absolutely right to hold out for the best price they could get. In the case of Rodgers, I’m certain that despite patronising us, he believed deep down that McGinn was theirs.

he certainly did

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1...n-off-to-hibs/

In what for the Celtic manager were uncharacteristically candid remarks about a transfer target – he normally sidesteps such matters – the Northern Irishman revealed he expected Hibernian to agree a deal which would also see Scott Allan move to Easter Road on a permanent transfer.

and chris sutton was bang-on in another glasgow paper :
    It has been suggested Hibs are looking for £4million and Celtic fans see that as a bit steep for a guy with 12 months left in his contract.But you can’t flog Armstrong for £7m and then low ball the Easter Road club. If anything I think they’ll need to go to £5m for McGinn – but he’d be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post

Usual max-pishness from him:

Hibs will have a sell-on clause, and they, too, will do nicely out of that.

But it won’t be the kind of profit they would have got had he been performing in the Champions League and winning trophies and making the move from Celtic Park.
    Yeah right: Stuart Armstrong £7M, Martyn Waghorn £5M - case closed.

A load of tosh.

They tried tae mug us off and it back fired. Their fans are some of the biggest morons in Scottish football and that CelticBlog daeing the rounds is honkin

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Bridges are built from both sides. McGinn would be a Celtc player this morning if they had really wanted him.
    Lets not also forget, if John REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to play for them, he could easily have politely said no to Villa and bided his time..... Even more respect for him now

Could not give a flying F about anyone other than Hibs. Celtic's stance on McGinn was pathetic and showed the complete and utter lack of respect they have. BR said as much. Hope they get papped out the CL next week. I'm gutted to lose McGinn but delighted he's left for England.

**** Celtic. We can build new bridges with Villa as their fans seem to love us on twitter now

Always despised Celtic and that wasn't going to change either way, whatever happened with McGinn. If this means some more of them don't like us either then I'm okay with that.

Scott Allan still please though