hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to say - I agree. Much of the remain campaign was based on saying we will all be worse off by £x per week etc - often delivered as "fact". These figures were calculated by pre-existing models designed by economists to predict the outcome of something that's never happened before. That's sure to be right isn't it? It's use was much more prevalent on the remain side because most of the establishment and main stream media are pro-remain.

This is often the tactic where supporters of the status quo are defending it against change. I seem to remember it being called "scaremongering" during and after the Scottish referendum.

The masses (sic) have effectively asked why this supposed wealth deriving from EU membership is so important when they don't actually benefit from it. Deceived? Not in my view - I think this is an extremely valid question and it indicates to me the importance of more democratic control.

PS - sorry to go back off-track. There's so much of this in the media it's hard not to respond at some point.
    Agree with you entirely

2. Log in to remove the advert

Permit sorted and in the squad tomorrow.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Permit sorted and in the squad tomorrow.
    Great news Assuming he's a no where near match fit though? Hopefully get him up to speed soon.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    “Meanwhile, the club have now secured a work permit for Thomas Agyepong, who will be available for selection this weekend.”

Woo hoo!!

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    It took at least 14 days for the work permit of Rangers signing Umar Sadiq to be completed so hopefully Agyepong is sorted by the 22nd of August.
    Looks like this wasn't far off.

squad is getting stronger and stronger, lovely, bit of depth coming in.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Agree with you entirely
    Most of media are for Brexit and that camp had no idea of the complexities of Brexit or the economic consequence. The Empire is long dead and we can no longer make money from stealing resources and using slave labour. The hybrid of the old aristocrats and exploitive capitalism are rubbish at modern capitalism. We will sink. On a football note glad to see Hertz struggling at Pars.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    “Meanwhile, the club have now secured a work permit for Thomas Agyepong, who will be available for selection this weekend.”

Woo hoo!!
    The way I read it, Agyepong is available for selection, but won't be selected because of lack of match fitness. Maybe a place on the bench is the best we can hope for.

Left by mutual consent!
    Some good touches at half time 🤣

I have to say - I agree. Much of the remain campaign was based on saying we will all be worse off by £x per week etc - often delivered as "fact". These figures were calculated by pre-existing models designed by economists to predict the outcome of something that's never happened before. That's sure to be right isn't it? It's use was much more prevalent on the remain side because most of the establishment and main stream media are pro-remain.

This is often the tactic where supporters of the status quo are defending it against change. I seem to remember it being called "scaremongering" during and after the Scottish referendum.

The masses (sic) have effectively asked why this supposed wealth deriving from EU membership is so important when they don't actually benefit from it. Deceived? Not in my view - I think this is an extremely valid question and it indicates to me the importance of more democratic control.

PS - sorry to go back off-track. There's so much of this in the media it's hard not to respond at some point.
    Although this is a football forum, and I am now heading to bed I do need to respond to your comment.(s) forget tactics, and let's look at hard facts.forget my political views, look at what the Scottish farming community will have to deal with for example. who will be working the fields? you. your family, the guy next door to you? I think not.dont somehow make out that it will all work out on the day, because it certainly wont.the factory up the road that sends it's stuff to a market of 500 million, will suddenly find other markets will they? or will their goods just sail through the customs borders as if it's all "barry".? I don't want to get into a huge debate about it but you should not have started this, on a fitba forum without expecting some comeback.

Surprised he never came on near the end tbh. Boyle was running on empty.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Looks like this wasn't far off.
    That's you in the know now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    squad is getting stronger and stronger, lovely, bit of depth coming in.
    Probably missed a few but:

GK: Marciano, Bogdan, Laidlaw
    FB: Gray, Stevenson, Whittaker
    CB: Hanlon, McGregor, Ambrose, Porteous
    DM: Milligan, Bartley, Martin
    CM: Mallan, Hyndeland, Slivka, Swanson, Murray
    WG: Boyle, Horgan, Agyepong
    FW: Kamberi, MacLaren, Shaw

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Probably missed a few but:

GK: Marciano, Bogdan, Laidlaw
    FB: Gray, Stevenson, Whittaker
    DM: Milligan, Bartley, Martin
    CM: Mallan, Hyndeland, Slivka, Swanson, Murray
    FW: Kamberi, MacLaren, Shaw
    That's pretty much everyone at the moment, other than Mackie to cover left back maybe.

Removing those not good enough to be first XI starters, I think we could still do with another combative central midfielder and a striker.

GK: Marciano, Bogdan
    FB: Gray, Stevenson, Ambrose
    DM: Milligan
    CM: Mallan, Hyndeland
    FW: Kamberi, MacLaren

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Removing those not good enough to be first XI starters, I think we could still do with another combative central midfielder and a striker.

to suggest bartley is not good enough is nonsense, especially when he has been starting

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Hell mend them for voting to leave the EU.

The masses were deceived by empty promises and little Englander attitudes so are going to have to live with the reality.

In my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    And all the Little Scotlanders who also voted to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    I find this opinion quite amusing. Dismissing the leave campaign as based on empty promises, yet suggesting that the remain campaign was based entirely on legitimate facts.

Both sides of the debate were led by politicians. Both sides made empty promises. It's what they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Putting aside this is a football forum about Hibs for two seconds. I'd be interested to hear what the Remainer's empty promises and illegitimate facts were.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Most of media are for Brexit and that camp had no idea of the complexities of Brexit or the economic consequence. The Empire is long dead and we can no longer make money from stealing resources and using slave labour. The hybrid of the old aristocrats and exploitive capitalism are rubbish at modern capitalism. We will sink. On a football note glad to see Hertz struggling at Pars.
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Although this is a football forum, and I am now heading to bed I do need to respond to your comment.(s) forget tactics, and let's look at hard facts.forget my political views, look at what the Scottish farming community will have to deal with for example. who will be working the fields? you. your family, the guy next door to you? I think not.dont somehow make out that it will all work out on the day, because it certainly wont.the factory up the road that sends it's stuff to a market of 500 million, will suddenly find other markets will they? or will their goods just sail through the customs borders as if it's all "barry".? I don't want to get into a huge debate about it but you should not have started this, on a fitba forum without expecting some comeback.
    Change is unsettling - that's for sure. I think lots of people in the UK - very many of whom are on lower incomes - feel that even the unknown is better than what we've been experiencing. I agree though that we should get back to football on this thread. However - FYI - I also just wanted to put a little evidence in front of you to counter your suggestion that my post started the debate as all the above and more were prior to my first contribution

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    to suggest bartley is not good enough is nonsense, especially when he has been starting
    Bartley starting does not mean he is good enough, it just means we are short in that area. Lennon obviously agrees as he has brought in Milligan. I like Bartley but he is not good enough to start if we want to be competing for a top 4 position. Below is his record in big games over the past 12 months when he has started.

30/09/17 - D 2-2 v Celtic
    14/10/17 - L 0-1 v Aberdeen
    21/10/17 - L 2-4 v Celtic (Subbed off at HT)
    24/10/17 - W 1-0 v Hearts
    10/12/17 - D 2-2 v Celtic (Subbed off at 66 min while 2 nil down)
    16/12/17 - L 1-4 v Aberdeen (Subbed off at HT)
    27/12/17 - D 0-0 v Hearts
    21/01/18 - L 0-1 v Hearts
    03/02/18 - W 1-0 v Rangers
    09/08/18 - D 0-0 v Molde
    16/18/18 - L 0-3 v Molde (Injured at 40 min while 1 nil down)

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Change is unsettling - that's for sure. I think lots of people in the UK - very many of whom are on lower incomes - feel that even the unknown is better than what we've been experiencing. I agree though that we should get back to football on this thread. However - FYI - I also just wanted to put a little evidence in front of you to counter your suggestion that my post started the debate as all the above and more were prior to my first contribution
    The sad thing about all this is that it will be those on lower incomes, who in many cases voted for Brexit, that will be hit hardest as a result of it.

Hopefully Agyepong gets a full week training under his belt this week. I would expect him to be on the bench this weekend but it would be good to have the option to bring him in as a sub on the wing to allow Horgan to move into a more central role at some stage.
    Last edited by mayo hibee; 20-08-2018 at 09:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay

My starting 11 would be:

Marciano

Gray Efe Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle Mallan Milligan Hyndman Horgan

Flo

For when we need to go all out attack

Marciano

Efe McGregor Hanlon

Boyle Mallan Milligan Hyndman Horgan

Flo MacLaren

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

So Laidlaw, Bartley, Slivka, and Shaw aren't good enough first team players? But Milligan and Agyepong make the list?

Laidlaw - a competent reserve keeper who can come in and do little wrong (done well with a 2/3 good saves yesterday IMO).

Bartley - a solid CDM who does a lot of good work off the ball to cover the back line - his skill on the ball isn't up to much and would agree that we could hopefully get better; but that doesn't equate to him not being a good squad player. I'm happy for him to be in the starting XI. It's hard to say whether Milligan would have happened without the injury to Bartley, but I also think it happened quickly enough that we must have at least had eyes on him already.

Slivka - I think he's quality. Very tidy passer for someone who also has a presence about him. His runs into the box when played centrally are also something we've been crying out for, do them more often with Horgan there to whip crosses in and we're on to something.

Shaw - a young lad who has an instinct for goals and puts himself anout well. Got a bit isolted at times yesterday but again a handy player to have around and develop, and I'm not worried when I see him the starting XI.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    So Laidlaw, Bartley, Slivka, and Shaw aren't good enough first team players? But Milligan and Agyepong make the list?

Laidlaw - a competent reserve keeper who can come in and do little wrong (done well with a 2/3 good saves yesterday IMO).

Bartley - a solid CDM who does a lot of good work off the ball to cover the back line - his skill on the ball isn't up to much and would agree that we could hopefully get better; but that doesn't equate to him not being a good squad player. I'm happy for him to be in the starting XI. It's hard to say whether Milligan would have happened without the injury to Bartley, but I also think it happened quickly enough that we must have at least had eyes on him already.

Slivka - I think he's quality. Very tidy passer for someone who also has a presence about him. His runs into the box when played centrally are also something we've been crying out for, do them more often with Horgan there to whip crosses in and we're on to something.

Shaw - a young lad who has an instinct for goals and puts himself anout well. Got a bit isolted at times yesterday but again a handy player to have around and develop, and I'm not worried when I see him the starting XI.
    I am not talking about squad players, I am talking about our strongest XI. Can you honestly say, with the exception of possibly Slivka, that if any of the above players were in a starting line-up it would be our strongest team?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Bartley starting does not mean he is good enough, it just means we are short in that area. Lennon obviously agrees as he has brought in Milligan. I like Bartley but he is not good enough to start if we want to be competing for a top 4 position. Below is his record in big games over the past 12 months when he has started.

30/09/17 - D 2-2 v Celtic
    14/10/17 - L 0-1 v Aberdeen
    21/10/17 - L 2-4 v Celtic (Subbed off at HT)
    24/10/17 - W 1-0 v Hearts
    10/12/17 - D 2-2 v Celtic (Subbed off at 66 min while 2 nil down)
    16/12/17 - L 1-4 v Aberdeen (Subbed off at HT)
    27/12/17 - D 0-0 v Hearts
    21/01/18 - L 0-1 v Hearts
    03/02/18 - W 1-0 v Rangers
    09/08/18 - D 0-0 v Molde
    16/18/18 - L 0-3 v Molde (Injured at 40 min while 1 nil down)
    His performances in alot of they games were good. Not sure your point.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    His performances in alot of they games were good. Not sure your point.
    I've put my point in bold so you can see it.

Bartley starting does not mean he is good enough, it just means we are short in that area. Lennon obviously agrees as he has brought in Milligan. I like Bartley but he is not good enough to start if we want to be competing for a top 4 position

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I am not talking about squad players, I am talking about our strongest XI. Can you honestly say, with the exception of possibly Slivka, that if any of the above players were in a starting line-up it would be our strongest team?
    Why did you include more than 11 players in your list then?

I think there is an arguement for Bartley to be in our strongest 11 (I don't know anything about Milligan though!), and as you say Slivka I'd definitely vouch for. The others, no.

My strongest 11 would probably be:

Marciano
    Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson
    Mallan Bartley Slivka
    Boyle Kamberi Horgan
    Mon the Hibs.

I've put my point in bold so you can see it.
    But he was good enough in many of those games and is still a useful player to have in case of injury suspension loss of form and type of opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    But he was good enough in many of those games and is still a useful player to have in case of injury suspension loss of form and type of opponents.
    So you are talking about him as a back up player, not a first XI starter, we are in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Why did you include more than 11 players in your list then?
    Because I believe those players are interchangeable without weakening our strongest XI.

So you are talking about him as a back up player, not a first XI starter, we are in agreement.
    A squad player who can more than play at this level. Bartley has proven he can play at this level so not sure why him coming in would have any appreciable impact on the performance of the team. Horses for courses.

How can you omit Shaw, Bartley and Slivka yet include Agyepong and Milligan?
    Always ammuses when people put a new signing straight into their 1st eleven without having ever seen them kick a ball.

Hope the boy Agyepong turns out to be a star but he has to go out and prove his worth surely