hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought I'd ask this question here to benefit from the rail industry knowledge we've read before...

I'm travelling from Edinburgh to Hull by rail. Due to social distancing, I had to pay for a first class ticket. I change trains at York. Having collected the tickets, I only have a reserved seat from Edinburgh to York.

Is that just because the train from York to Hull won't have a first class carriage?
    It never used to, bit like travelling from Edinburgh to Stirling. Some of the trains had the small 1st class compartment but on that journey there were no 1st class tickets so it was available to all.

Brian

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Scotland have opened more previously closed lines and stations as well as new stations than anywhere else in the UK over the last 20 years.

Bruntstane - Newcraighall stations
    Dunfermline Queen Margaret station
    Laurencekirk station
    Stirling - Alloa line
    The Borders Railway
    Edinburgh Park station
    Edinburgh Gateway station (white elephant)

Not to mention electrification of most of the Central belt.
    Very true. Scotlands train system has seen major investment and is now so much better in the range of destinations and the breath of travel.

There seems to be good cooperation between the central government and the train companies as well as the local authorities.

Most of all there seems a sense of purpose and will to make things work across the board.

Integration with bus companies is an area I know that is being explored and would an extra layer to travel in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Thought I'd ask this question here to benefit from the rail industry knowledge we've read before...

I'm travelling from Edinburgh to Hull by rail. Due to social distancing, I had to pay for a first class ticket. I change trains at York. Having collected the tickets, I only have a reserved seat from Edinburgh to York.

Is that just because the train from York to Hull won't have a first class carriage?
    Probably as the York to Hull train will be a Northern small train with no reservations, same when I travel from Edinburgh to Wigan which is reserved then Wigan to Liverpool can’t be reserved.