hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    If we go out having "given it a go" - fair enough.
    If we go out by playing to hold on to a one goal lead but lose because they score one then - effin boo.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This Hibs team doesn't look like keeping many clean sheets so safe to say a 0-0 isn't on the cards. I think we'll try to attack and win the game which is the right call.

I am worried about us defensively though and also how we'll cope with the heat. They will be a week further into pre season so may not tire as easily. It's going to be a tough one. Head says them, heart says us.
    I'm in agreement with this. We need to do what we're best at which is to go and try and win the game. Start with the same line up we started the 2nd half with and just play our normal game trying to play in their half and create chances. If we manage to score first then that's massive pressure on Tripolis - a draw being as good as a win for us. If not then we know we've come from behind to beat them once already.

Certainly we will have to defend at times and perhaps endure an assault on our goal early doors and certainly near the end if we remain ahead in the tie. I dearly hope that we show more focus throughout the team in this respect than in the last couple of outings. The heat will likely be a factor as you say - it'll probably be about 30c even with the evening KO - so would be nice to be in a winning position and not having to chase it at the end this time

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    They need to win on the night not just score.
    True but if they score (and we don't), they win, no?

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    The heat will likely be a factor as you say - it'll probably be about 30c even with the evening KO - so would be nice to be in a winning position and not having to chase it at the end this time
    It’s looking like it will be 22c by the 9pm kick off, dropping down to 20c by the end of the match. Not too different to the weather Edinburgh has been having. You’d think we’d be used to it by now, plus we looked fitter than they did.

I trust Lennon will know what to do. Can't say that about many Hibs managers over the years, but Lennon knows what he's doing in Europe.
    Don't have to look that far back to know the man's got balls, and not afraid. He decided to put out a team to try and beat the Huns 5-0. Didn't happen, but he gave it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    I trust Lennon will know what to do. Can't say that about many Hibs managers over the years, but Lennon knows what he's doing in Europe.
    Don't have to look that far back to know the man's got balls, and not afraid. He decided to put out a team to try and beat the Huns 5-0. Didn't happen, but he gave it a go.
    I thought the same, although having just looked - he has a mixed bag in away ties. His results for Celtic in Champions League and Europa League qualifiers featured away defeats to Braga 3-0, Utrecht 4-0, Sion 3-1 and Shakhter Karagandy 2-0. He did however manage to led Celtic to their first ever CL group stage away win against Spartak Moscow. With any luck, he’s learned a few things and is a bit more savvy now.

To be fair to him, Celtic had a horrible away record for years either side of his tenure too.
    Last edited by Austinho; 30-07-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    3-5-2 again. I’d be concerned that with Kamberi up top on his own the ball could keep coming back at us and if that’s the case we’ll not keep them out going on recent performances

Bogdan

Efe
    Daz
    Hanlon

Gray
    Slivka
    McGinn
    Mallan
    Lewis

Flo
    Boyle

Mallan, SJM and slivka will need to play with a degree of caution however.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    Whenever we had a go against them during the 1st leg we more often than not broke through. It was a goalkeeping mistake and 25 yard wonder strike which broke us down...we are good enough to press these guys. Standing off them would be a big mistake.

2 of our goals came against 10 men mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    2 of our goals came against 10 men mind.
    They still had 11 on the park when we equalised. We created plenty against them last week and will get chances again this week.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    They still had 11 on the park when we equalised. We created plenty against them last week and will get chances again this week.

Mr pony tail (17) was off the park getting his burst nose seen to as well as a shirt change was he not?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Wonder if Laidlaw might start? Bogdan hasn't exactly looked solid in the games so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    A lot for Lennon to ponder ahead of Thursday. Personally I'd start with the team that finished last Thursday and seek an early opener.

It's a dangerous tactic I know, and we are likely to see a lot more urgency from the Greeks from the off than we saw last Thursday, but if we go one behind and the pressure is on us massively. If we go one up then there's a good chance we might hit them on the break for a second.

Sitting deep and playing for a draw is not an option IMHO.

Thoughts?
    Unless we replicate the 5 5 draw with Rangers that would put us through
    Effe can't be left exposed on the right as they have shown they can exploit that
    If Lennon sticks with same Goalkeeper he has to do better
    Boyles pace caused them all sorts of problems but he isn't a natural finisher so it's where best to play him
    Heat factor could mean we tire as we gave it our all in the second half and some of our players were on their arse at full time
    Whatever the outcome we are going to
    have a tired squad for the opener v Motherwell But if we can get though the tie that will give the players a lift
    Agree we do t want to chase the game early and loose a goal
    Whatever Was said at Halftime worked though so we know we can score against them
    Think it's going to be another cracker of a game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    Any of the "itk" guys know how far away Rocky is from being fit ? Would make a huge difference if we had him back.
    Another few weeks yet I read somewhere Back training with the Squad not ready to be risked in s game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Mr pony tail (17) was off the park getting his burst nose seen to as well as a shirt change was he not?
    Fair point. Still created numerous chances against 11 men though. I thought they were arguably weaker at the back than us.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Fair point. Still created numerous chances against 11 men though. I thought they were arguably weaker at the back than us.
    They did look a bit shaky at the back , intersting though Big Flo said in his interview that their centre backs were very tough to play against and he never got much of a sniff from them . i think he was trying to be diplomatic about saying they were a couple of dirty *******s

Same team that started the 2nd half on Thursday.

Go out and attack because we cannot keep a clean sheet to save ourselves. Cant rely on that defence so got to outscore them.

Two players worry me Ambrose and the Brogdan

I would bring in Bartley and Laidlaw

It will probably be the same second half XI but with Gray & Stevenson not charging forward at every opportunity - at least to begin with.

We could definitely have done with a friendly or two more, to get as many players as possible up to speed. Bartley could be an option in a game like this but has barely kicked a ball.

Boyle back out wide and another midfielder added is another option but that would be harsh on Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    My problem with playing Bartley is if we go behind we will have replaced a player who can do something about it with someone who can't.

In addition he is great at Tynecastle but is prone to giving free kicks away in dangerous positions, not suited to playing in Greece IMHO.

If I had to make one change to the team that played the second half it would be the goalie, don't think it will happen.

I would take my chance on playing the team that played the second half.
    I'm not necessarily saying he should start - but surely what you've said is the whole point if he does? He's there to keep us solid and stop the Greeks... if we go behind there will be someone on the bench capable of "doing something about it"?

Agree with your last sentence however - no complaints if it's the same team that started the second half last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    A lot for Lennon to ponder ahead of Thursday. Personally I'd start with the team that finished last Thursday and seek an early opener.

It's a dangerous tactic I know, and we are likely to see a lot more urgency from the Greeks from the off than we saw last Thursday, but if we go one behind and the pressure is on us massively. If we go one up then there's a good chance we might hit them on the break for a second.

Sitting deep and playing for a draw is not an option IMHO.

Thoughts?
    Tactics for Greece.

Pint for every goal scored.

Testimonial Due
    The second half team from last week. 4-5-1 just doesn't work when we play it, and we'll more than likely need to score to progress.

Personally I'd be tempted to start Shaw and keep Boyle as a weapon off the bench but it's a close call.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    They did look a bit shaky at the back , intersting though Big Flo said in his interview that their centre backs were very tough to play against and he never got much of a sniff from them . i think he was trying to be diplomatic about saying they were a couple of dirty *******s
    I thought, particularly in the first half, that Flo gathered the ball well a few times and was able to hold off his marker/s for so long before being crowded out - he was very isolated.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    The Greeks will come out and look to attack us from the off as they need to win in order to progress. That will leave space in behind them that our midfield and attack could exploit. My main concern though is our defence. Need them to be solid, commanding, disciplined and most of all don’t do anything stupid.

Testimonial Due
    Big thing for me is the refereeing, the dynamic changes with most referees and home advantage counts!
    In all the years, of watching different referees in European games, the one thing I always seem to say was "the referee's a homer"!!!
    So for us to win, it will be down to playing clean and not giving a chance for a penalty or free kick around the box, as that's the achilleas heal in European competition.
    So keep it clean onwards and upwards!!!!!

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    They need to win on the night not just score.
    If they win 4-3 or 5-4 , we would go through on the away goals rule .
    They like to counter attack and let teams have the bulk of possession. They won’t like having to take the game to us ( I’m hoping) We’re undefeated away from home under Lennon in Europe 😜 I’m going for a nervy 1-1 draw .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Bogdan

Gray/Boyle
    Ambrose
    Daz
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Mallan
    McGinn
    Slivka

Kamberi
    Maclaren (if he can play)

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Bogdan

Gray/Boyle
    Ambrose
    Daz
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Mallan
    McGinn
    Slivka

Kamberi
    Maclaren (if he can play)

He can't, all signings must be registered before the round begins I believe.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Wonder if Laidlaw might start? Bogdan hasn't exactly looked solid in the games so far.
    It's something that must be perplexing Lennon - Bogdan comes with a rep as a keeper for a top side like Liverpool and the Hungarian national side but he has yet to cover himself in glory in a Hibs jersey. Has he got the character and professionalism to pull it together now and give us the solid performance we need in Greece? I hope so.

But Laidlaw - written off by some posters as no very good - for my money has actually been very solid for us when given the chance. During the run he had when Rocky was out I only recall one stinker of a game at home against Celtic - other than that he was very solid between the sticks with good ball distribution skills (putting Rocky's to shame last season) contributing to a good run of results.

So I feel sorry for Laidlaw - I think Lennon acted quickly in recruiting Bogdan - seeing a (theoretically) higher caliber keeper becoming available at the right time and grabbing the chance to sign him. So he's played Bogdan and, so far I think it's fair to say he's been rusty and has let a couple in where he could have done better and if it were any other position he'd probably be benched to give the other guy a chance.

Keeper position is treated differently though with the confidence that match practice brings being premium - but has Bogdan gathered much confidence from his last two outings? - and is Laidlaw performing any better? I'm sure Lennon will be keeping an extra close eye on that situation this week - one thing I do recall is when Laidlaw was called upon for the away tie at Brondby last year he didn't let us down.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    It's something that must be perplexing Lennon - Bogdan comes with a rep as a keeper for a top side like Liverpool and the Hungarian national side but he has yet to cover himself in glory in a Hibs jersey. Has he got the character and professionalism to pull it together now and give us the solid performance we need in Greece? I hope so.

But Laidlaw - written off by some posters as no very good - for my money has actually been very solid for us when given the chance. During the run he had when Rocky was out I only recall one stinker of a game at home against Celtic - other than that he was very solid between the sticks with good ball distribution skills (putting Rocky's to shame last season) contributing to a good run of results.

So I feel sorry for Laidlaw - I think Lennon acted quickly in recruiting Bogdan - seeing a (theoretically) higher caliber keeper becoming available at the right time and grabbing the chance to sign him. So he's played Bogdan and, so far I think it's fair to say he's been rusty and has let a couple in where he could have done better and if it were any other position he'd probably be benched to give the other guy a chance.

Keeper position is treated differently though with the confidence that match practice brings being premium - but has Bogdan gathered much confidence from his last two outings? - and is Laidlaw performing any better? I'm sure Lennon will be keeping an extra close eye on that situation this week - one thing I do recall is when Laidlaw was called upon for the away tie at Brondby last year he didn't let us down.
    I like Laidlaw but to say he froze in LCSF versus Celtic is putting it mildly imo the boy has never recovered. This is a problem position for us and needs to be addressed.

Boyle could be key. They will throw everything at us so his pace could hurt them on the counter.

Come on Hibs give us a famous European night away from home.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 31-07-2018 at 07:09 AM.