hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe we pay that and he’s not a sub, but keeping Flo or McClaren out the team. Squad depth is very important. If he can translate that form to spfl level he will be worth more than £250k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You may be right and I'd definitely have him as a squad player but at £250k it's a massive risk. One i don't think we're in a position to take. Based on last season it would take something miraculous to split the Flo/JM partnership. I'd rather use the £250k for Scott Allan or as part of a perm deal for JM. If Shankland was out of contract I'd take him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    You may be right and I'd definitely have him as a squad player but at £250k it's a massive risk. One i don't think we're in a position to take. Based on last season it would take something miraculous to split the Flo/JM partnership. I'd rather use the £250k for Scott Allan or as part of a perm deal for JM. If Shankland was out of contract I'd take him.
    I agree. It's great to see us spend money on players like Kamberi, Mallan etc but for us £250k is a lot for a 3rd or even 4th choice striker. If we have that kind of money still to spend it should be on players that will go straight into the team like Allan.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I doubt anyone in Scotland will be spending 250k on him. Unless there's serious interest from England the chances are he could be signed for closer to 100k. At that price maybe someone like Motherwell might have a look with the Kipre money, or maybe Sevco, but the reality is that hardly any Scottish clubs even have 100k to spend on transfer fees.

From Hibs point of view if we sign another forward I'd expect it to be a loan or a free transfer. With Kamberi, Maclaren and Shaw here any further transfer funds should be going to other parts of the team, particularly a holding midfielder and a decent utility defender who can cover centre back and left back.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Starting to think there is something in this Guy more than a flash in the pan pundits on Radio Scotland creaming themselves saying he has really slimmed down looking sharp as has put the jags to the sword two weeks in a row might be worth a looksee!

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    I doubt anyone in Scotland will be spending 250k on him. Unless there's serious interest from England the chances are he could be signed for closer to 100k. At that price maybe someone like Motherwell might have a look with the Kipre money, or maybe Sevco, but the reality is that hardly any Scottish clubs even have 100k to spend on transfer fees.

From Hibs point of view if we sign another forward I'd expect it to be a loan or a free transfer. With Kamberi, Maclaren and Shaw here any further transfer funds should be going to other parts of the team, particularly a holding midfielder and a decent utility defender who can cover centre back and left back.
    We should have be able to afford £250k with the money we have made from our europa League run

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    We should have be able to afford £250k with the money we have made from our europa League run
    Hopefully, but for us it would be better spent elsewhere on the team, we're unlikely to spend it on a player who would be at best third choice in his position.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Starting to think there is something in this Guy more than a flash in the pan pundits on Radio Scotland creaming themselves saying he has really slimmed down looking sharp as has put the jags to the sword two weeks in a row might be worth a looksee!
    Maybe a Jamie vardy type late developer

One wonders how Oli Shaw would compare at the same level? We'd probably find that we already have a Shankland sitting on the bench chomping at the bit for a chance in the first team. I'd rather have faith in our 30-odd goal development squad lad than some 22 year old that's suddenly turned up out of the blue.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Scored another two up at Dens against Dundee in a 3-0 win. This guy is on fire!

I know that he would only be a bench warmer in our squad but with Kamberi playing with an injury Jamie Mac still to get up to speed and Olly Shaw admittedly improving with every game can we afford to ignore a young talent that seems to be scoring goals for fun?

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Scored another two up at Dens against Dundee in a 3-0 win. This guy is on fire!

I know that he would only be a bench warmer in our squad but with Kamberi playing with an injury Jamie Mac still to get up to speed and Olly Shaw admittedly improving with every game can we afford to ignore a young talent that seems to be scoring goals for fun?
    I say take a punt. Sign him.

I like him and think this is exactly the kind of signing we should be making.

The only good reason not to is the emergence of Oli Shaw, who has started the season well.

Kamberi looks to be carrying an injury and McLaren needs to up his performance level otherwise we are still looking light up front.

Ayr turned down a bid of £150k already for him this summer. Dunno how I’d feel about spending more on a 4th choice striker than Flo.

Maybe my username gives me a bias but I’m still pretty sure I don’t see this as a viable option

Ayr turned down a bid of £150k already for him this summer. Dunno how I’d feel about spending more on a 4th choice striker than Flo.

Maybe my username gives me a bias but I’m still pretty sure I don’t see this as a viable option

@hibs.net private member
    He is only a 4th choice striker in people mind because we don't know how he would do. To me this is a SJM type situation. Invest to hopefully make a profit down the line. They all won't work but sometimes you have to stick your neck out and with McLaren misfiring and Flo injured the few points a hot striker could get us at the start of the season could be worth more in prize money come the last day of the season.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    He will go somewhere to be a first pick. Would not be surprised if it is Dundee or St Mirren.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigswissstriker View Post

If we signed him he wouldn’t be 4th choice striker, if he scored goals for us the way he is for Ayr he would end up first choice

If we signed him he wouldn’t be 4th choice striker, if he scored goals for us the way he is for Ayr he would end up first choice
    Spot on. Bit of Premiership snobbery going on here. The guy has sorted himself out. Lost a bit of weight. And now reaping the rewards. Already scored against Partick and Dundee amongst his 11 goals for the season at Ayr where he will be playing with lower quality players.

I think he would have scored both of Boyles chances today.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    He will go somewhere to be a first pick. Would not be surprised if it is Dundee or St Mirren.
    Or Hearts if they sell Lafferty

His record not exactly great at his previous teams from what I can remember. It’s all well and good sticking out at a part time team. I remember him being particularly pish when we played against Morton and st Mirren in the championship days. I’m sure the team that had that bid rejected was AFC Fylde

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Or Hearts if they sell Lafferty

If Lafferty leaves, I reckon Hearts will try and sign David Vaněček now rather than wait for his contract to expire in January before he comes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswissstriker View Post
    His record not exactly great at his previous teams from what I can remember. It’s all well and good sticking out at a part time team. I remember him being particularly pish when we played against Morton and st Mirren in the championship days. I’m sure the team that had that bid rejected was AFC Fylde
    Ayr are full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    30 plus scouts again this weekend to watch him already organised apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    30 plus scouts again this weekend to watch him already organised apparently.
    Must have been around half the Dens crowd.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    he is no better than murray who we have just let go

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Murray wasn't great but he was eager to learn and it just didn't work out for him. Some players just find their level and can't take the next step. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Shankland is younger and he may have it in him to reach the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    I thought I was the only one who doesn’t think he’d be worth signing. Murray looks a lot fitter than him as well. Must be a reason no one has went for him.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Murray wasn't great but he was eager to learn and it just didn't work out for him. Some players just find their level and can't take the next step. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Shankland is younger and he may have it in him to reach the next level.
    shankland has just turned 23 which isnt old but not exactly young for a footballer now, not sure id have him but if it were to happen then he would get my support

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I thought I was the only one who doesn’t think he’d be worth signing. Murray looks a lot fitter than him as well. Must be a reason no one has went for him.
    Someone bid 150k but Ayr knocked it back .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Someone bid 150k but Ayr knocked it back .

Ayr are looking for 250k and that only gets you a seat at the table really.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Ayr are looking for 250k and that only gets you a seat at the table really.
    Very possibly worth a gamble at that sort of money in today's mad market of transfer fees.

The scouts would know whether or not he's worth a punt.

In saying that Bikey of yam infamy failed to make his mark.

It would certainly be a gamble to pay out decent money for a player yet to test himself consistently at a higher level but could be worth a shot.

Mon the Cabbage