hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They looked far more disciplined than we did at times but at the same time they didn't look all that great

2 lucky goals (1st was also shocking defending) they got although I expect them to be much better at home

2. Log in to remove the advert

In the first half we made them look better than they are.In the second they couldn’t handle us and realistically the tie should be out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the first half we made them look better than they are.In the second they couldn’t handle us and realistically the tie should be out of sight.
    I agree. I didn't think they were that great and said to my daughter at 0-2 that if we got one back we would at least get another. Goalie was not convincing and they looked dodgy at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I hope we don't go there set up to defend a one goal lead. We have to go for the first goal to give us a cushion.
    I don’t think we will because I don’t think we can.

The defence has fallen to bits since that Kilmarnock game at ER. I don’t think the lack of a consistent lineup in front of them has helped. It can’t be all their fault having been so good for much of last season.

Anyway, the Greeks didn’t look much better at the back so we have to fancy our chances of scoring.

will marvin play i the away leg??

without mcginn the game will be so much tougher, no doubt, as he is the kinda player who shines i tough games away.

Id say just keep him if its not over 2mil. what will we get, 1 million net? his services can give us 2 league positions, and
    potentially europa league progress, if we do keep him and make group stages It will be well worth it financially...

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    I don’t think they were that great. Probably mid-table SPL level; the type of team we would be beating maybe 7 times out of 10.

Even in the first half I didn’t think they looked particularly scary. Will still be a very tough game in Greece though.

They will look for a homer ref and then try to get a red card for someone while hoping to kick lumps out of us themselves.

I think they looked fit and athletic and quick, but lacked a bit of physical oomph. A bit lightweight. If we play like we can, like the second half, we'll win the away tie. They have to score, and stop us scoring.
    I don't think they will. 😁 👍

They will look for a homer ref and then try to get a red card for someone while hoping to kick lumps out of us themselves.
    Think you’re right but I wonder how the size of crowd will influence the ref? They will barely outnumber us so quite different from going to play an AEK Athens for example.

Saying all that it wasn’t like our crowd helped us last night. The ref took pelters from them all night but booked Boyle as soon as he went near him

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I thought a lot of their players were very athletic, technically gifted and I liked the way they could quickly ping the ball between them, with their team mates instinctively knowing which position to be in to receive the pass.

but... and this is a BIG but...

They aren't half a bunch of sneaky, moaning face, diving, whingeing cheating con artists. If they're typical of Greek Football, then am I glad I don't have to watch it every week.

They were so bad at times I actually thought we were playing Hearts.
    They know how to get to the group stages. They know how to get it done. Next week isn’t impossible but it will be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    They know how to get to the group stages. They know how to get it done. Next week isn’t impossible but it will be tough.
    This is about the size of it. Very hard job for us. It's doable but will take a measured, disciplined performance. We could make life incredibly hard for them but we could equally be swept aside.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought we were better than them once we hit our stride. They look comfortable on the ball and pretty well organised - noticed when they broke forward they were very cohesive and did so with purpose.

They didn't look great at the back, we could and should have scored more.

Jack Sparrow was a dirty *******, should have been booked early doors.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    We have found their achilles heel though. Goalie was a weakness and they struggled with our tempo in the second half, when we really gave them no respite and worked like Trojans. They urnae that good really. When I muse upon this leg I arrive at a Hibernian victory.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I am surprised you can bet them at evens on Betfair. Which means it is a genuine 50/50 as to who goes through. I thought they would be 4/7.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Their goalie was dodgy. There were a couple he pushed away theatrically which I actually laughed out loud at they looked so ridiculous.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Their number 17 was skillfull and technically very good, but he was a massive sh*tebag!

Their number 4 was on the deck after any bit of contact, was frustrating as every corner almost ended with him on the deck and the ref giving a free kick.
    their number 17 was their captain. a very good player and one of the best on the park last night. However, he was a sneaky , conniving moaning git throughout the match. just what you'd expect against Euro opponents and he will be twice as tricky/nasty at hame. would not frown on him if he wanted to play for us though

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby the Hibby View Post
    will marvin play i the away leg??

without mcginn the game will be so much tougher, no doubt, as he is the kinda player who shines i tough games away.

Id say just keep him if its not over 2mil. what will we get, 1 million net? his services can give us 2 league positions, and
    potentially europa league progress, if we do keep him and make group stages It will be well worth it financially...
    McGinn will play, he only has 2 bookings, need 3 for a ban

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Their number 4 was a greetin wee bugger who went down and stayed down at every opportunity.

We must be wary in the away tie and hope that they're still reeling from the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    McGinn will play, he only has 2 bookings, need 3 for a ban
    McGinn only has one booking. Its Daz that has 2.

They're clearly a good side and they have an unbelievable home record. Lost only 16 of last 107 home games. I just hope Daz's "tackle" and our fightback has given them the fear.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 28-07-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    McGinn only has one booking. Its Daz that has 2.
    Either way McGinn will play unless a transfer goes through beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I am surprised you can bet them at evens on Betfair. Which means it is a genuine 50/50 as to who goes through. I thought they would be 4/7.
    They're 4/5 on SkyBet and Hibs are out at 14/5.
    They don't have a price up to qualify yet which is the one I'd be most interested in.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    They're clearly a good side and they have an unbelievable home record. Lost only 16 of last 107 home games. I just hope Daz's "tackle" and our fightback has given them the fear.
    I wouldn’t read too much into their home record. Our home record last season was probably similar on average, theirs is just over a longer period. It’s good, no doubt about that, but not that good that we can’t get anything from it.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I thought their no. 8 looked decent. For a while they were challenging us in our own half when we had possession - something we did towards the end of last season but seem to have forgotten. As has been said above, they all look comfortable on the ball.
    I hope we don't go there set up to defend a one goal lead. We have to go for the first goal to give us a cushion.
    Def can't afford to sit back 'cos it is short odds-on they will score. Prob after going down the left and doing Efe on the turn. Trust in NL to get the set-up right but some need to cut down the mistakes and others work 100% at tracking back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Their number 4 was a greetin wee bugger who went down and stayed down at every opportunity.

We must be wary in the away tie and hope that they're still reeling from the second half.

I think they'll be well up for it . They have undoubted skill and are obviously what's euphemistically called 'street-wise' and will be prepared to do whatever it takes to get through.

I hope Lenny tells Daz to lamp the Argentinian d1ck (the guy with the man-bun) right at the start this time. That'll put their gas at a peep!
    Last edited by Keith_M; 28-07-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    We have found their achilles heel though. Goalie was a weakness and they struggled with our tempo in the second half, when we really gave them no respite and worked like Trojans. They urnae that good really. When I muse upon this leg I arrive at a Hibernian victory.
    All Greek to me.

Although they looked good going forward, they didn't actually make that many chances. Certainly, at times, they had our defence scrambling. Especially down our right wing in the 1st half. However, we managed to cope with most of their attacks.

I have a feeling that they will target Efe but for some reason I think that he might have a stormer in the 2nd leg. With Gray and Stevenson as wingbacks then we are covered a little more defensively. Almost going to be a back 5 at times.

Kamberi and Boyle up front gave them issues with their pace and will be important to give us an out ball. Flo must be a decent bet to nick a goal.

The big decision is the 3 in midfield. I would go with Mallan holding, McGinn on left and Slivka on right as finished on Thursday. Although they might not be the most physical midfield trio, I think that their tempo and skill will do well against the Greek midfield. If needed later in the game then we can bring on Marv to be more defensive but we need to score goals and all 3 of that midfield have goals in them.

Going to be a tough ask and could go pear shaped, but one thing that Asteras know is that even if they score we are capable of a comeback.