hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambrose

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Love him. Hope we can get him to stay longer.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's on the veritable Hibernian Fitsodjers FB page. A must for all Hibs veterans.
    Hope the attachment works. But I'd love someone to show me how to do it better like the other guys do.

Attachment 21060
    That's an absolute beauty of a picture!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Pretty sure it was him or possibly RP that suck a leg out and diverted the ball away from Laidlaw for the opener
    It was Efe's weak header to the edge of the box that gave them the chance to shoot in the first place. He seems to be pretty inconsistent at he moment but I can live with it as overall he has been a great signing and I don't think we could get any better

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    It was Efe's weak header to the edge of the box that gave them the chance to shoot in the first place. He seems to be pretty inconsistent at he moment but I can live with it as overall he has been a great signing and I don't think we could get any better
    No one on the edge of the box though, been happening for weeks. St Johnstone almost scored from it last week. We're leaving 3 up and neglecting a man on the edge.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No one on the edge of the box though, been happening for weeks. St Johnstone almost scored from it last week. We're leaving 3 up and neglecting a man on the edge.
    Our set up for corners looks to be a hybrid man for man and zone. It never looks very good even before the ball is kicked with players unmarked and that glaring gap at the edge of the box you mention. Hopefully, this is down to lack of training time and new players. Lewis had to run off the front post to mark a player on the edge and Mallan had to drop back in to mark a man and leave the gap at the edge. Surely at this level every player knows where to be and who to mark.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm honesty not sure with Efe. What I do know is that our defence isn't right at the moment and we lose far too many sloppy goals.

On balance I'd give him a few games out of the team as right now I don't think his form is the best and I don't think anyone should be undropable.

People blaming Efe for the first for a weak header and daring sticking a leg out to stop a shot? Interesting that no one picked up Mallan for getting no where near the man at the edge of the box. But he scored today so I suppose that will make it okay.

He was definitely at fault for the penalty though, needs to get rid then and there.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I think Efe is just such a key part of this Hibs team.

Yes he makes mistakes but he also brings the ball out from the back and scores a few goals.

He’s probably best in a back three but I’m intrigued by the idea of him playing defensive midfield. If we want to play with wingers maybe this is worth a try?

He's a confident risk taker, mostly it pays off. Occasionally it doesn't, but I think the good greatly outweighs the bad.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

The man is a genius and I love him

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The man is a genius and I love him
    I love him too, but he is getting very expensive.

I think Efe works best with both Hanlon, but especially Daz in a back three. Daz is on him all the time and keeps him in check and with what's going on around him. Young Porteous doesn't have the experience to do that, and is working on his own game.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man Down Under View Post
    He's a confident risk taker, mostly it pays off. Occasionally it doesn't, but I think the good greatly outweighs the bad.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk
    Totally agree

It's not the overplaying that bothers me - tbh I love that he's so good on the ball, so calm, and not prepared to just lump it up the park.

It's the basic defending - tackling, blocking, winning headers and decision making that aren't great. To get the best from Efe you need 3 CH's on the field, one of them McGregor.

The best thing he did yesterday from a defensive point of view was when he wiped out their forward after Stevenson's hospital pass.

We will play teams this season who will not let us get away with what we have already - both punishing the mistakes with goals, and not allowing us the 3 goals we need to win every game.
    Last edited by Smartie; 20-08-2018 at 07:49 AM.

I’m not as big a fan as some on here. I want my defenders to defend and he doesn’t give me much confidence that he’s not going to give something away every game. I don’t think he’s done much wrong for the first goal yesterday but his defending for the penalty was shocking. I can see I’m in the minority but I think the negatives slightly outweigh the positives (the club will have done a proper analysis of his performance and can see that’s not the case though).

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He has had diabolical start to the season. Even the Faroese team caused him problems. Didn't see him v St Johnstone but I've seen the rest. Against Asteras in both legs he stank the place out. The first leg the wee boy on the left was just toying with him. It was almost as bad what Jordan Jones was doing to him last season. The mistake for their goal in the 2nd leg was amateur. He made the exact same mistake v Motherwell on the Sunday as well. THe only decent game i think he's had is v Molde at home but i'm not convinced they came here to attack.

He was rank yesterday as well. That mistake for the pen has just summed up his start to the season. Just totally brainless.

He didn't start the season great last year either but wasn't as bad as this. The good thing there was that he steadied and had a good season bar a couple of howlers v Killie.

One thing is for certain, we can't allow this to carry on.
    Last edited by Winston Ingram; 20-08-2018 at 10:36 AM.

He badly needs Daz alongside him. Efe is an excellent player. Proved it time and again last season and he's been excellent again in certain games this season however if he doesn't have someone talking him through games he's prone to the odd mistake. Daz does that well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I love him too, but he is getting very expensive.
    I think you have to balance up how much Efe contributes to creating attacks, with his mistakes. He is composed going forward, and even chips in with the odd goal.

Think Efe needs to learn the art of no nonsense defending. The penalty being one of them.
    What a moment this is!
    It's Liam Henderson to deliver......

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He has had diabolical start to the season. Even the Faroese team caused him problems. Didn't see him v St Johnstone but I've seen the rest. Against Asteras in both legs he stank the place out. The first leg the wee boy on the left was just toying with him. It was almost as bad what Jordan Jones was doing to him last season. The mistake for their goal in the 2nd leg was amateur. He made the exact same mistake v Motherwell on the Sunday as well. THe only decent game i think he's had is v Molde at home but i'm not convinced they came here to attack.

He was rank yesterday as well. That mistake for the pen has just summed up his start to the season. Just totally brainless.

He didn't start the season great last year either but wasn't as bad as this. The good thing there was that he steadied and had a good season bar a couple of howlers v Killie.

One thing is for certain, we can't allow this to carry on.
    How many games have we lost this season? Agree he needs a wee shake but he'll come good once team is settled.

Relax.

It's Efe's decision-making - or lack of it - that's so frustrating. Prior to the penalty yesterday, he'd already given the ball away, quite unnecessarily, twice in the previous 10 minutes or so. One of these occasions led directly to a dangerous Ross Co. free kick, which Laidlaw just got his hand to, followed by a corner. Did he learn from this? - no: he then does exactly the same thing in his own penalty box.

Like many on here, I like Efe at times but it's his attitude he needs to sort out, it's far too casual at times.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    As far as I’m concerned, if Efe hasn’t dropped a shoulder and beat a man at the edge of our box at least 3 or 4 times during the 90 minutes then I go home disappointed.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Lenny in the papers today telling him to cut out the mistakes.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's not the overplaying that bothers me - tbh I love that he's so good on the ball, so calm, and not prepared to just lump it up the park.

It's the basic defending - tackling, blocking, winning headers and decision making that aren't great. To get the best from Efe you need 3 CH's on the field, one of them McGregor.

The best thing he did yesterday from a defensive point of view was when he wiped out their forward after Stevenson's hospital pass.

We will play teams this season who will not let us get away with what we have already - both punishing the mistakes with goals, and not allowing us the 3 goals we need to win every game.
    I agree with this. His moments are few and far between when he has the ball it is his defending that worries me. He has a terrible tendency to go towards the ball just as a cross is about to be made. Any decent striker then peels away and a back post ball results in him being completely unmarked. We lose quite a few goals like this. The goal in Greece was another example of him trying to anticipate and getting it wrong. There is a time and a place, when your man could possibly score if you don't cut it out then that is not the time. Get goal side, stand up and defend while your mates get back to cover.

The plus side is when he drops the shoulder. That usually means we progress up the park in good possession and a midfielder is forced to come and confront Efe. Again, there is a time and a place, but he rarely costs us goals doing this and greatly aids our ability to attack.

All in all, as Lennon would say, he is what he is. I'd love him to work out the frailties in his game but that is unlikely at this stage. Could we get better for the same money, I doubt it.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    How many games have we lost this season? Agree he needs a wee shake but he'll come good once team is settled.

Relax.
    That's the point. None but if he carries on like he is it won't be long. He's cost us at least 3 goals already this season, and it's been argued by others on here that it's 5. It's still only August.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    As far as I’m concerned, if Efe hasn’t dropped a shoulder and beat a man at the edge of our box at least 3 or 4 times during the 90 minutes then I go home disappointed.
    Agreed. I can safely say he's one of the guys I pay my money to watch. He's entertainment and the frustrating moments are balanced by the excitement of wondering what will he do next when on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    That's the point. None but if he carries on like he is it won't be long. He's cost us at least 3 goals already this season, and it's been argued by others on here that it's 5. It's still only August.
    I could argue Porteous has cost us 3 goals this season. I could even argue Stevenson has too. In fact, if we defend as a team I could argue half our midfield have too.

You say it's still August. Why not wait and see how the team settles into the season? Just seems a slight over reaction if I'm being honest.

Despite a busy start to the season, players coming and going, disrupted training etc I think we are doing ok.

Viva Efe!

Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    I’m not as big a fan as some on here. I want my defenders to defend and he doesn’t give me much confidence that he’s not going to give something away every game. I don’t think he’s done much wrong for the first goal yesterday but his defending for the penalty was shocking. I can see I’m in the minority but I think the negatives slightly outweigh the positives (the club will have done a proper analysis of his performance and can see that’s not the case though).
    I think his problem now is that he's too predictable
    The opposition KNOW he won't batter it, so they are sticking on him and causing him to create his own problems
    He would be better off if every so often he just battered it

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I think his positives outweigh his negatives. Got to live with it.
    Agreed, if he didn't have his wee moments he wouldn't be here.....
    Last edited by KDY Hibs; 20-08-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typo