hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambrose

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Ambrose

Bit of a mixed bag from him tonight. Good goal and some good driving runs but thought he had an awful first half, he wasn’t alone in that respect. Was better second half but still not quite 100% at it.

I can see why he’s so popular, but I think he can let himself down with the basic art of defending at times. Still rather have him than not though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

How many times was he nutmegged tonight? Really poor defensive display from him and a real slackness on the ball

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Brutal defending from him tonight let’s be honest! Really good going forward though. He’s some boy.😂

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many times was he nutmegged tonight? Really poor defensive display from him and a real slackness on the ball
    I was just about to say that, I've never seen one player get megged so many times, must have been at least 3 or 4? If we were to go a 4 at the back next week (no idea if he will) tonight showed to me that he'd be the one that would need to drop out. Some decent enough stuff going forward though and a great goal. Still love the guy!

Blog Entries
    I think his positives outweigh his negatives. Got to live with it.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I like Efe but tonight was definitely one of his poorest games for Hibs. Glad he scored but needs to do better defensively as the Asteras LW was skinning him for fun when caught 1v1

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    I like Efe but tonight was definitely one of his poorest games for Hibs. Glad he scored but needs to do better defensively as the Asteras LW was skinning him for fun when caught 1v1
    Poor first half by Efe but in his defence have to say he was given zero support/cover by Slivka at RWB (truly awful). And Efe is not a right back.

Another chapter in the mad chronicles of Efe Ambrose.

He was absolutely all over the shop for most of the first half, yet still made some decent, important headed clearances.

He was inspirational in the second half, absolutely brilliant.

In his defence, I think he's another one hung out to dry by Lennon's starting line-up. You don't want to play RCB with Slivka out of position at WB and Whittaker toiling as your protector in central midfield.

He was miles better with the correct players in the right positions around him.

Exactly.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Poor first half by Efe but in his defence have to say he was given zero support/cover by Slivka at RWB (truly awful). And Efe is not a right back.
    Not just the 1st half but the 2nd half I had my eyes shut when the Asteras winger was running at Ambrose. Take nothing away from Efe, I absolutely love the big guy but minus the first goal he scored tonight. It was a poor overall performance from Efe.

Slivka was poor 1st half as I was bamboozled why we played him in a RWB role and kept Gray on the bench? Slivka looked far better when he moved to midfield in the 2nd.

Keep Efe upfield as much as possible. He's no defender against good players.

Defensively it was one of the worst performances i've seen from him. However he played a big part in our win so I think with Efe we just need to take the rough with the smooth.

I can't decide if he was brilliantly hopeless or hopelessly brilliant. Either way, he was definitely Efe. Best goal celebration in history!

His first half performance was dreadful. So it was inevitable he would score in the second half. I absolutely love the guy, he just seems to epitomise the madness that is Hibs.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

With Efe, he always seems to perform badly in Europe. Tonight’s performance, away to Runavík, and think there were a few for Celtic too - Lincoln Red Imps in particular. Beginning to wonder if it’s a fitness issue where it takes him a while to get going in the early games after preseason, rather it being an emerging pattern. He has his moments, but he was mostly solid last season.

@hibs.net private member
    He was late back last year and I think it took him a while to get going. In the friendlies this year I thought he looked really good but the standard of opposition was very low for most of the games. He was exceptionally poor last night and looked flat footed and slow to react. Saying that he has mostly been excellent and even the best have a few off days.

I thought he was dreadful at the start of last season and when he had a horror show against Livi in the cup at home I suggested that was the time for Porteous to come in for him, and I was slaughtered for the very notion of chucking a kid in for one of our most high-profile players.

To be fair to Efe, from that moment on he had a superb season - he really upped his game. yes, he had the odd horror show along the way but these were few and far between and he was generally outstanding for us for most of last season.

For all he was brutal in the first half last night I thought he was excellent in the second, and with the right players in all positions around him I thought he recovered to have a really good game.

So far I'd say it's as if he's had bit of a hit or miss pre-season whilst he finds his feet, only in competitive games. I trust he'll come good again, but we really need him to put in a performance for 90 minutes next week.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    It's amazing how much better a player is when he's in his actual position.

Still frustrates the hell out of me, love his surging runs and then at the same time within minutes he'll fall asleep and lose his man, or get caught out of position and like last night tackle a 10 year old. In the 2nd half Gray was continually pointing outside him wanting Efe to come across and cover the overlapping wingback but Efe seemed oblivious to threat until it was too late, maybe the reason he's here and not playing at a higher level.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I can't post it, but all over social wot have you there is a spellbinding photograph of his goal celebration last night. Possibly taken trackside, maybe a punter in the FF lower, but you'd think he had been photoshopped upside down against the backdrop of the East Stand in perfect light, impeccably athletic. It's looking like one of those iconic ER images in my opinion.

Can't help but love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I can't post it, but all over social wot have you there is a spellbinding photograph of his goal celebration last night. Possibly taken trackside, maybe a punter in the FF lower, but you'd think he had been photoshopped upside down against the backdrop of the East Stand in perfect light, impeccably athletic. It's looking like one of those iconic ER images in my opinion.

Can't help but love him.
    And to think it wasn’t even his goal!

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    And to think it wasn’t even his goal!
    Can't see how that might be but regardless, it takes nothing away from the artistry of subject and photographer.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post

Can't help but love him.
    Can’t you just copy and paste the link/save the photo and attach it?

Would really like to see this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I thought he was dreadful at the start of last season and when he had a horror show against Livi in the cup at home I suggested that was the time for Porteous to come in for him, and I was slaughtered for the very notion of chucking a kid in for one of our most high-profile players.

To be fair to Efe, from that moment on he had a superb season - he really upped his game. yes, he had the odd horror show along the way but these were few and far between and he was generally outstanding for us for most of last season.

For all he was brutal in the first half last night I thought he was excellent in the second, and with the right players in all positions around him I thought he recovered to have a really good game.

So far I'd say it's as if he's had bit of a hit or miss pre-season whilst he finds his feet, only in competitive games. I trust he'll come good again, but we really need him to put in a performance for 90 minutes next week.
    word for word

Efe has great defending attributes no doubt, its just a shame he needs to use them so much to stop an attack he has started when giving the ball away etc

also, his clearance from the shot, from asteras player on the left hand side of the box, when the cross came in he left the guy, and went into the middle of the goal,,leaving the guy to have the shot in the first place,
    he should have marked him whilst the cross came in,,,so again, a good bit of defending, clearing it, but all down to his poor positioning in the firs place, frustrating as he can be immense without the blunders"

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post

I can't. Mrs Iggy shown me it on her phone and now doesn't know where it was. Facebook I think. I'm looking.....

Left by mutual consent!
    I have realised there is just no point in having a go at him if you want him here.

He is going to cost us some goals and will score some. He will do some silly things and great things. I am prepared to live with that as I want him at club. It cannot be trained out him it's what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post

It's on the veritable Hibernian Fitsodjers FB page. A must for all Hibs veterans.
    Hope the attachment works. But I'd love someone to show me how to do it better like the other guys do.

image.jpg

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Disclaimer I only listened to the game on the radio so not seen any of today’s game.

Sounded like he was at fault for the penalty. Is there a sensible debate, that isn’t simply the polar opposites of a “bomb scare” or “lucky to have him” to be had? Does he deserve to be in the team on form or is it time to think about dropping him for a few weeks?

I’ve said before that I think he’s a very good footballer, but don’t think he is a good defender. From what I’ve seen of him this season, and in mitigation the whole of the defence has had question marks individually and collectively this season as well as little protection, I think his basic defending has been well below acceptable a few times already.

So would you keep him in the team or give him a spell out of the team?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Disclaimer I only listened to the game on the radio so not seen any of today’s game.

Sounded like he was at fault for the penalty. Is there a sensible debate, that isn’t simply the polar opposites of a “bomb scare” or “lucky to have him” to be had? Does he deserve to be in the team on form or is it time to think about dropping him for a few weeks?

I’ve said before that I think he’s a very good footballer, but don’t think he is a good defender. From what I’ve seen of him this season, and in mitigation the whole of the defence has had question marks individually and collectively this season as well as little protection, I think his basic defending has been well below acceptable a few times already.

So would you keep him in the team or give him a spell out of the team?

Pretty sure it was him or possibly RP that suck a leg out and diverted the ball away from Laidlaw for the opener