hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Pat Fenloan co commentator Liverpool v Dortmund

Yip! Could not make it up! Live now Premier Sports free to Virgin XL subscribers 551

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fenloan?!

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fenloan?!
    Aye used to sign players on loan Claros being one

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Fenloan?!
    He did sign a lot of loan players 3pm

Dunno how he got this gig meant to be for football experts like Super Ally. To be fair I thought Ally did ok!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Griffiths tae

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Dunno how he got this gig meant to be for football experts like Super Ally. To be fair I thought Ally did ok!
    Think it’s filmed by an Irish TV station

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    Griffiths tae
    One o the better ones shudda signed him cost him his job IMO.

Shudda pushed Petrie for the dough!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think it’s filmed by an Irish TV station
    They're basically the same company as setanta who were Irish.

Oh! And all of the mercaneries he played in the final we don’t talk about! Apologies for the delayed response I have wiped it from my memory bank!

Left by mutual consent!
    One o the better ones shudda signed him cost him his job IMO.

Shudda pushed Petrie for the dough!
    Was it not Calderwood who brought him in?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Lost in the fog of time tbh Calderwoid / Fenlon Sparky was on fire HIBS through and through scoring goals for fun one of us -remember the SF versus Falkirk young guns when we were on t ropes at HT Sparky pulled it back even scored a good goal wrongly chalked off for offside regardless of who brought him in Fenlon should never have let him go when 150k if true would have secured his signature!!

To be fair Pat Fenlon has carved himself out a good career in the Irish League won the League a couple of times hence his gig on an Irish TV Channel fair play to him. I’m not bitter!

I have a lot of time for Fenlon, a decent man. Pulisic wins and scores a pen in front of his home fans, 1-1.

Wee Pat did what he could with cards he was dealt. He did not get us relegated. He resigned bevause he couldnt beat Hearts and as a consequence we got Butcher and if we hadnt got Butcher we would not have gone down and we wouldnt have signed Stubbsie and therefore would not have won the cup so lets not be hard on the guy he was the catalyst for 21st May 2016. Legend.🤗

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Wee Pat did what he could with cards he was dealt. He did not get us relegated. He resigned bevause he couldnt beat Hearts and as a consequence we got Butcher and if we hadnt got Butcher we would not have gone down and we wouldnt have signed Stubbsie and therefore would not have won the cup so lets not be hard on the guy he was the catalyst for 21st May 2016. Legend.🤗
    We got there in the end but according to Gary OConnor we were never winning the Scottish Cup in 2012 as the pre match preparations were shambolic to say the least as the team given to the players on the Friday was not the team that took the field on the day so PF is not without blame!

Source Si Ferry interview you tube

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    We got there in the end but according to Gary OConnor we were never winning the Scottish Cup in 2012 as the pre match preparations were shambolic to say the least as the team given to the players on the Friday was not the team that took the field on the day so PF is not without blame!

I wouldn’t take him as a credible source.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

We were never winning it with an attitude like that*

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I wouldn’t take him as a credible source.
    Probably right

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Aye it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

For me, the players are the ones to blame on that day. They were cowards and you could tell at the end of the final when they got interviewed that they really couldn’t give a s*** what they just produced on that pitch. I’m sure I read on here that they were all arguing the night before the final as they were unhappy with the bonuses if they won the cup.

I hold no ill feelings towards Pat Fenlon. Wasn’t a great manager in a bit of a dire time for the club. But he was a nice guy who did genuinely care about Hibs. So that’ll do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I hold no ill feelings towards Pat Fenlon. Wasn’t a great manager in a bit of a dire time for the club. But he was a nice guy who did genuinely care about Hibs. So that’ll do for me.
    Resided over two of the worst results in our club’s history, but they were both one of games. His reputation will always be tarnished for the Hearts and Malmo games, but the overall bigger picture is he got us to back to back Scottish Cup finals and qualified for Europe twice. Certainly not the worst.

If Garry O told me water was wet I’d ask for a 2nd opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    Resided over two of the worst results in our club’s history, but they were both one of games. His reputation will always be tarnished for the Hearts and Malmo games, but the overall bigger picture is he got us to back to back Scottish Cup finals and qualified for Europe twice. Certainly not the worst.
    Agreed. No hiding that there were dark days under Pat and I’m sure in 25/30 years we’ll probably remember him worse than he probably was.

Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    If Garry O told me water was wet I’d ask for a 2nd opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Gary O'Connor? Seriously? Guy is an adle brained smackhead who couldn't out run two donought filled cops in body armour
    A smackheid eh ? Quite an accusation to fling about . Never heard of Gary taking smack.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    Fenlon's biggest successes ended up being his undoing.

He inherited an absolute shambles, probably as big a mess as any Hibs manager has inherited. At least Stubbs had a fairly blank canvas to work from, and McLeish had a bit of time to attempt to sort out Duffy's mess.

Getting to "that cup final" with the players he inherited from Calderwood and his January sticking plasters was a minor miracle and he deserves great credit for that. His tactics on the big day were all wrong and the result was atrocious, but there were many factors leading to the result in that game and I wouldn't pin too much on Fenlon.

He did very well the following season, and we shouldn't dismiss the European qualification lightly, but the Malmo game was a catastrophe.

We'll never know how much of that pre-season's transfer dealings were down to Fenlon and how much they were down to Petrie, but in my opinion that summer was when we really laid the foundations for our relegation. Ay but Butcher, aye but this, aye but that - Fenlon's team early in that season were horrible, then they got worse under Butcher. Frankly, we deserved to end up where we ended up.

I don't think Fenlon was to blame. He came in, had several relative successes but faced an impossible job and he inevitably failed.

For the record:
    Eoin Doyle bought from Sligo
    Pa Kujabi free from FSV Frankfurt
    McPake loan
    McGivern loan
    Done loan
    Soares loan
    Claros loan
    ODonavan loan
    Docherty loan
    Griffiths loan second time 2012
    Deegan undisclosed fee
    Robertson free
    Thomson free
    Clancy free
    McPake free 2012
    Cairney free
    Williams free
    Maybury free
    Kugi free
    Taiwo free
    Murdoch free

So there we have it back up to my Pat Fenloan jibe. It does not look funny from where I am sitting.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Fenlon's biggest successes ended up being his undoing.

He inherited an absolute shambles, probably as big a mess as any Hibs manager has inherited. At least Stubbs had a fairly blank canvas to work from, and McLeish had a bit of time to attempt to sort out Duffy's mess.

Getting to "that cup final" with the players he inherited from Calderwood and his January sticking plasters was a minor miracle and he deserves great credit for that. His tactics on the big day were all wrong and the result was atrocious, but there were many factors leading to the result in that game and I wouldn't pin too much on Fenlon.

He did very well the following season, and we shouldn't dismiss the European qualification lightly, but the Malmo game was a catastrophe.

We'll never know how much of that pre-season's transfer dealings were down to Fenlon and how much they were down to Petrie, but in my opinion that summer was when we really laid the foundations for our relegation. Ay but Butcher, aye but this, aye but that - Fenlon's team early in that season were horrible, then they got worse under Butcher. Frankly, we deserved to end up where we ended up.

I don't think Fenlon was to blame. He came in, had several relative successes but faced an impossible job and he inevitably failed.
    Agree with a lot of what you say, but not sure I 100% agree with the bit in bold. Getting to another cup final was a great achievement, although we did have a favorable cup draw, but an achievement nonetheless. The league was a different story from what I remember. We finished bottom six and it was a real chore going to Hibs games.

That said, don't have any ill will to Fenlon. He tried his best, but ultimately wasn't up to the job and I have a lot of respect for him admitting that and walking away when he did. He was also hindered by the amateur mismanagement by Petrie.