hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still hounding him out got us relegated. He wasn't even close to as bad as Butcher or Calderwood. Would've survived comfortably and let him go at the end of his deal.

Still the last Hibs manager to win at Tynecastle as well.
    He’s still ***** though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Neil Loannon
    Alloan Stubbs
    Terry F*****g Butcher
    Colloan Calderwood
    Jloan Hughes
    Mixu Paateloanon
    John Colloans
    Loanny Mowbray
    Bobby Williamloan

Aye, we've had a few.
    🤣

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Still hounding him out got us relegated. He wasn't even close to as bad as Butcher or Calderwood. Would've survived comfortably and let him go at the end of his deal.

Still the last Hibs manager to win at Tynecastle as well.
    Petrie’s successive terrible managerial appointments, culminating in Butcher, was the reason we got relegated. Not because the fans wanted rid of Fenlon. It’s not much of an endorsement to say we should have kept Fenlon to the end of the season as he wasn’t as bad as Butcher.

Relegation had been coming for years, not because we’d had enough of Fenlon’s eye bleeding football.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    How do you know we would have survived comfortably? Ok we would have went down quicker then. As likely as your scenario which is based on nothing like mine.

Obviously there is no way to say for sure, but if Pat had stayed for the duration of the season I am very, very confident we would not have got relegated.

If Fenlon had taken over from a Stubbs or Lennon and not inherited a shambles or had Dempster been at the club at the time we may very well have been talking about a Scottish cup legend in Pat. All iffs and but's obviously. It was a difficult time at Hibs when Pat arrived and he had a monumental job on his hands. We wouldn't have gone down if he stayed but ultimately im glad we did go down. Our club has been reborn and is now unrecognizable from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Ha Ha Ha! First time I have been called a jambo! I have been supporting HIBS for over 50 years. The only player he signed in an old fashioned money transfer was Eoin Doyle amount unknown but it is probably more a reflection on the state of the club at that time than Pat Fenlon. As other posters have said he could only play with the hand he was dealt.

Haha settle down gadgie! I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever you are a long-term Hibby! I think in your excitement you forgot you also listed Deegan (undisclosed fee)

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    He’s still ***** though.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Petrie’s successive terrible managerial appointments, culminating in Butcher, was the reason we got relegated. Not because the fans wanted rid of Fenlon. It’s not much of an endorsement to say we should have kept Fenlon to the end of the season as he wasn’t as bad as Butcher.

Relegation had been coming for years, not because we’d had enough of Fenlon’s eye bleeding football.
    The fans did not help though. Fenlon wasn't pretty but people wanted us to lose to get rid of him. Obviously it has worked out well but we could easily still be in that division and it wouldn't have happened at all had he just been allowed to finish his contract. We weren't half as bad as some folk pretend we were under Fenlon, he is just judged on 2 really bad results, one of which was not his fault. He actually achieved some decent things that even Lennon, a far better manager, hasn't yet managed with us.

Good post.

The fans did not help though. Fenlon wasn't pretty but people wanted us to lose to get rid of him. Obviously it has worked out well but we could easily still be in that division and it wouldn't have happened at all had he just been allowed to finish his contract. We weren't half as bad as some folk pretend we were under Fenlon, he is just judged on 2 really bad results, one of which was not his fault. He actually achieved some decent things that even Lennon, a far better manager, hasn't yet managed with us.
    Sorry but we were as bad as I remember. His football stopped my old man from going and he’d been going for many years. It was actually mind numbing stuff at times. Side pass after side pass after side pass. We couldn’t break teams as we were that slow. I mind Liam Craig was so deep he was playing on our own 18 yard line for the whole game.

I hate the fact you can’t point out the obvious without folk saying but he was a nice guy etc. Yeah he was and I’ve nothing against him at all as a man. As a manager he was poor. Calderwood was brutal along with Butcher it’s simple.

Sorry but we were as bad as I remember. His football stopped my old man from going and he’d been going for many years. It was actually mind numbing stuff at times. Side pass after side pass after side pass. We couldn’t break teams as we were that slow. I mind Liam Craig was so deep he was playing on our own 18 yard line for the whole game.

I hate the fact you can’t point out the obvious without folk saying but he was a nice guy etc. Yeah he was and I’ve nothing against him at all as a man. As a manager he was poor. Calderwood was brutal along with Butcher it’s simple.
    I couldn't care less if he was a nice guy. I've not said anything about that. We weren't as bad as you remember because ultimately, the facts are we were in the top half when he was hounded out. I never said his football was pretty, it wasn't but it wasn't THAT bad that folk should've stopped going. The club needed support more than ever that season. We were average under him and it was tough to watch but it got far far worse after he left. No question it would've been better to just let him see out his contract and start planning for the next season. If we had managed to finish top 6 and had a decent Scottish cup run that season, something Fenlon was good at, and he had just left in peace we might even have had a better 4/5 years since. He wasn't great but we were slowly improving and we went from being relegation candidates under him to mid table crap instead. I think it would've went something like Aberdeen who had Brown stabilise things a bit before McInnis came in and took them forward.

Sacking managers mid season is always risky, we already had a pretty hopeless squad and putting them in the hands of someone like Butcher was a disaster. As I say, it worked out well now but it could've been a real disaster had we not got the Stubbs appointment right.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!

You can point out what you want, other people don't agree - myself included. He did a decent job recovering from Calderwood and was a victim of his own success, if we had been knocked out the Scottish Cup (the 2012 Scottish Cup) in the Semis and didn't get into Europe the year after then he would be taking a lot less stick than he does now. He got a shocking team punching above its weight and we suffered two heavy defeats as a consequence. Also Malmo were competing in the Champions league the seasons after they beat us and were already half way through their season when we played. As has been said by others, Fenlon could have seen out the season and we could have brought someone (Stubbs) in then. He did sign too many poor players but overall he wasn't a terrible manager at all, I would say he did a steady, decent job.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Haha settle down gadgie! I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever you are a long-term Hibby! I think in your excitement you forgot you also listed Deegan (undisclosed fee)
    Yip! I had that listed undisclosed fee from Coventry scored a cracker versus the sheep but was never the same after being assaulted up the toon on a night oot!