hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Your definitive song

What is the song that you feel defines you and the best years of your younger days, and why. Please be honest and don’t put in a song because it’s a cool tune.
    For me it’s feel the panic, by force mass motion. At the time I was massively into the dance scene. I’d never heard of them before, but when they came on stage and played that song I just stood and looked at my mate and thought wow.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty for me, can’t believe it’s 40 years old this year, probably be the tune played at my funeral. Can’t explain why this tune is so poignant for me but remember only days after first hearing it I was in a pub with some mates and I asked the DJ if he had a copy of it and could he play it, he did and when he put it on the whole place went quiet and everyone had a look of wow/disbelief on their faces when the sax solo started.

For me I think Pulp Common People is a song that will always remind me of the good times. Loved Citrus (the club), can't even imagine how many times I've went there the last 5 years before it shut down earlier this year. Sometimes it would be dead but you'd still meet faces you know and made so many pals in that place. Miss it greatly, Edinburghs a far worse night it now it's gone and Pulp Common People is probably the song I associate with it the most.

Simple Minds Don't You (Forget About Me)

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    It would have to be something by Squeeze, probably Pulling Mussels (From the Shell). Great lyrics which summed up happy days with the lads, laughs galore.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Unchained melody by the Righteous Brothers, not going to share the reasons why but a very significant song to me.

Sunshine on Leith.

Typical answer on here I'd say but everytime it brings emotions up, it has superb lyrics about just being so thankful for someone else.. throw in the Hibs connection and 2 of the best days of my life having it associated with then there's not really anything to come close.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Toto -Africa, song was a constant during my venture into the big wild world of employment after leaving school. Worked as a car radiator engineer at Clan radiators in Russel Road and that song seemed to be on a loop. Whenever I hear that song nowadays it takes me right back to a very hard but enjoyable first real job.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Rock n Roll Star - Oasis. Was a game changer for me on how I viewed life and music, it came out at such an important time of my life as well. Of it was to extend to the album then it would be Definitely Maybe as well.

I loved the music of that time, still dominates my playlists to this day.

The other song that had a massive impact on me was Sound by James. It's a great song but also the message behind it is about not letting your fears and anxieties hold you back.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

She's Electric by Oasis. Always the song that got the party going amongst my mates in our teens and 20s.

Sunshine on Leith is another. Everyone says it but I genuinely get emotional every time I hear it, it's a song that feels luke being part of something bigger.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Paradise City - Guns N Roses.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    "Please Please Me" - Beatles
    Don't care what anyone says, everything in the western world changed after this was released.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me I think Pulp Common People is a song that will always remind me of the good times. Loved Citrus (the club), can't even imagine how many times I've went there the last 5 years before it shut down earlier this year. Sometimes it would be dead but you'd still meet faces you know and made so many pals in that place. Miss it greatly, Edinburghs a far worse night it now it's gone and Pulp Common People is probably the song I associate with it the most.
    Is the Citrus Club closed? No!!!!!

For me it’s Nancy Boy by Placebo!

I used to be a permanent fixture at the various indie clubs in Edinburgh. I remember being at FBI in King Stables Road. You’d see the same folk at the clubs and I remember one of them was a guy called Lee. As me and my mates were at the side of the dancefloor he came up to us and told us that the club was already full to capacity but there was about 600 folk queuing to get in!

At that moment I walked through the dance floor and Nancy Boy game on. It had just been released the week before (without cheating I think it went in at number four or six in the charts?)

The whole place exploded and the dance floor went mental. I just remember thinking at that point indie music and the alternative scene had become the mainstream.

Great, great days. I’d also throw in the full length version if I Am The Resurrection. Me and my mates had gone to Sh*g in what is now Espionage.

Brilliant Thursday night with a tiny dance floor that had lots of mirrors. As they were playing this and it stops the lights went off. Then as soon as it started the lights were back on and everyone was going crazy.

I could go on! Is there any decent indie nights left?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Another Oasis one. “Whatever”. The opening line is perfect. Added to combination of guitars and strings which combines two of my favourite genres of music, indie and classical.

We had a string quartet at our wedding and had them play it.

I’d also give a shout to “Mr Brightside” by the Killers. Reminds me of going out in my latter uni years and beyond. It would get everyone on the dance floor, even me who notoriously refuses to dance.

@LustForLeith yeah the closing night was an emoshional one. It's now some absolute garbage modern club that has a ping pong table apparently. With Citrus gone that's pretty much it for good Indie nights in Edinburgh. Madchester has left Liquid Rooms and is now at La Belle Angele but never really liked that in comparison to Citrus and it's only one night a month. For years it was standard that when you were out on a Saturday Citrus was the place to go. Hardly out any more because everywhere else is cack.
    Last edited by frazeHFC; 22-07-2018 at 09:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Roseability by Idlewild.Seen them eighteen times and it just always seemed to be around.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    @LustForLeith yeah the closing night was an emoshional one. It's now some absolute garbage modern club that has a ping pong table apparently. With Citrus gone that's pretty much it for good Indie nights in Edinburgh. Madchester has left Liquid Rooms and is now at La Belle Angele but never really liked that in comparison to Citrus and it's only one night a month. For years it was standard that when you were out on a Saturday Citrus was the place to go. Hardly out any more because everywhere else is cack.
    Used to be a regular at Citrus, Evol, or The Egg at The Wee Red Bar. Shame that scene is dying out, it was brilliant.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Roseability by Idlewild.Seen them eighteen times and it just always seemed to be around.
    what a shout. never got the credit they deserved as a band.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Flock of seaguls, I ran