hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

That was great to watch

OK, so our makeshift defence without our two leaders at the back leaked goals. To be expected.

If you're a neutral watching that you may have expected a dead rubber of a match that would end up a 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 sort of tie. You may not have even watched it.

Ten goals, three of them absolute worldies (including one of them from international player Lewis Stevenson ), both teams being ahead, own goals, fog, all sorts. Fantastic game and one that would make you watch Hibs again, or indeed for the first time if you've just read the report.

Let us not forget that around this time last year we were laughing at Sevco losing 2-0 to Progres. Away tie against an unfamiliar team on a plastic surface. It's perfectly easy to slip up in these ties and we scored our way out of trouble.

We need to be better in Greece but for just now that was a great advert for the club.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    great attitude, I quite enjoyed it..mainly because I always believed we would score more than them and we will probably never see that defence play together again.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, so our makeshift defence without our two leaders at the back leaked goals. To be expected.

If you're a neutral watching that you may have expected a dead rubber of a match that would end up a 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 sort of tie. You may not have even watched it.

Ten goals, three of them absolute worldies (including one of them from international player Lewis Stevenson ), both teams being ahead, own goals, fog, all sorts. Fantastic game and one that would make you watch Hibs again, or indeed for the first time if you've just read the report.

Let us not forget that around this time last year we were laughing at Sevco losing 2-0 to Progres. Away tie against an unfamiliar team on a plastic surface. It's perfectly easy to slip up in these ties and we scored our way out of trouble.

We need to be better in Greece but for just now that was a great advert for the club.

I lost the game after an hour. Was watching it on Virgin. Phoned to complain and they said it was a regional problem. They then offered me a days refund which works out at a 30th of £11.99 = about 40pence I told them to stick that offer where the sun don't shine and am awaiting a call back from a supervisor.

Blog Entries
    FAF

football as fun.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar

Well said !

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar

Good man.

I was thinking the same
    Great entertainment
    Scored a bunch(and how many teams these days
    Against weak opposition score 12 goals)
    Just put it behind us and assume the team will be much better
    Prepared for a better team next week

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Wee Lewis scores a scorcher and our new "goals from Midfield" signing hits two crackers....lots to be happy about.

Your first line “to be expected.” I didn’t expect hibs to lose 4 to a bunch of part timers and I’m sure Lennon didn’t either. I don’t get this attitude that it’s all funny and great. That was an utter shambles of a performance.

We’ll have to improve miles for Greece. This is a part time side from the Faroe Islands... The ****ing Faroes Islands, let that sink in.

Mallan was the only bright spark in that team, agree about his goals they were just brilliant so that’s a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Your first line “to be expected.” I didn’t expect hibs to lose 4 to a bunch of part timers and I’m sure Lennon didn’t either. I don’t get this attitude that it’s all funny and great. That was an utter shambles of a performance.

We’ll have to improve miles for Greece. This is a part time side from the Faroe Islands... The ****ing Faroes Islands, let that sink in.

Mallan was the only bright spark in that team, agree about his goals they were just brilliant so that’s a positive.
    Agree about the defence. For all that we are talking about it being makeshift, it was two players who have a lot of international caps, have played in the champions league and one of our top prospects. So I didn’t expect to lose goals like we did after seeing the game last week. Was a shambles.

Bartley in front of them was even worse for me. Think his days might be numbered if we get moving in the transfer market. Don’t think he fits in any more.

Blog Entries

Yeah yeah,we get your drift,......some of us enjoy football,we won,we are in the next round,we need to improve.

Whittaker was great by the way.

The Faroe Islands, who our national team drew with in our last competitive game between each nation IIRC.

I get the feeling you'd have been happier if we just sat in and drew 0-0. That had goals all over the place and we're through to the next round, even though we were missing the calming influence of Paul Hanlon and the leadership of McGregor at the back. Defensively not good but I don't really care. If I didn't follow Scottish football and I got the idea that I'd be watching a load of goals (seventeen goals in our last three competitive appearances) I'd want to watch them more.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

It may have been a poor performance and yes we got lucky to draw Runavik when there's a lot trickier ties out there. But just remember our national side twice nearly became croppers out there.

I don't think we'll play that bad again, or that set up in personnel. I'm firmly with the OP, potential banana skin ties and we scored 12 goals. We will have to improve but I'd be more worried if we'd scraped through on away goals. Bring on next Thursday :)

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Agree about the defence. For all that we are talking about it being makeshift, it was two players who have a lot of international caps, have played in the champions league and one of our top prospects. So I didn’t expect to lose goals like we did after seeing the game last week. Was a shambles.

Bartley in front of them was even worse for me. Think his days might be numbered if we get moving in the transfer market. Don’t think he fits in any more.
    Agree 're Bartley he's been poor for a while now and was awful tonight...limited player who is no longer good enough for where we want to go...think he will be moved on by close of window

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They’re probably on par with some of the junior sides in Scotland. Seem to recall Hearts scraping past Auchenleck Talbot a few years ago?

It should have been 10-1 in the first game and we scored another 6 tonight and lost a few from terrible defending. Wouldn’t look into this performance too much.

We’ll be a different side next Thursday with DM, PH and MB back playing.

Let's not forget - Hearts got pumped out of Europe by a team from Malta, Rangers from Lichtienstein. Both probably at a similar level to the team we were playing.

Don't underestimate how hard it is to play an unfamiliar team on an unfamiliar pitch in an unfamiliar country.

Quote Originally Posted by jabis View Post
    Yeah yeah,we get your drift,......some of us enjoy football,we won,we are in the next round,we need to improve.

Whittaker was great by the way.
    I enjoy it as well, just pointing out real facts that’s all.

Follow the Hibs for Thrills and Spills!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Follow the Hibs for Thrills and Spills!

The Faroe Islands, who our national team drew with in our last competitive game between each nation IIRC.

I get the feeling you'd have been happier if we just sat in and drew 0-0. That had goals all over the place and we're through to the next round, even though we were missing the calming influence of Paul Hanlon and the leadership of McGregor at the back. Defensively not good but I don't really care. If I didn't follow Scottish football and I got the idea that I'd be watching a load of goals (seventeen goals in our last three competitive appearances) I'd want to watch them more.
    Yeah and it’s still talked about as one of Scotland’s worst ever results is it not? I’d rather not watch a boring 0-0 but I’d like my team to actually defend.

If it’s goals and a game of football like that you want fire up the Corn Exchange any day during the week and watch the 7 aside games. That’s what this was like watching.

How do you think Lennon will see it? I can bet he’s thinking the same as me and a few others. That wasn’t a professional performance and the good thing now is it will be a huge wake up call for when we play the Greek team.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Bartley looked lost out there big time. No idea what was wrong with him.

I don't get why people are using the national team as some kind of benchmark for Hibs.?

Our national team have been abject failures for years - so what exactly are people trying to prove by saying "it's not that long ago the Faroes gave Scotland a right tough game"?
    So what??

That performance from us tonight was way, way below what I'd expect from a hibs team (and no, I don't have any delusions of grandeur about where we are in the grand pecking order of European football).

It simply wasn't good enough.

The laughing/joking attitude towards losing 5 goals against such a poor quality of opponent probably goes a long way towards explaining why Scottish Club and National teams are such failures.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    I don't get why people are using the national team as some kind of benchmark for Hibs.?

Our national team have been abject failures for years - so what exactly are people trying to prove by saying "it's not that long ago the Faroes gave Scotland a right tough game"?
    So what??

That performance from us tonight was way, way below what I'd expect from a hibs team (and no, I don't have any delusions of grandeur about where we are in the grand pecking order of European football).

The laughing/joking attitude towards losing 5 goals against such a poor quality of opponent probably goes a long way towards explaining why Scottish Club and National teams are such failures.
    We're through, aren't we?

I'm aware we need to improve big time at the back for the Greek game but we've scored twelve in European competition this season so far. No matter who the opponent is, that's great. Goals from midfield, up front, the defenders, from set pieces, from open play - brilliant.

Defending wasn't good at all but we were missing two vital players there.

But that's apparently a "failure".

Lighten up.

So what??

Best post I’ve read all night.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I remember when we were strolling the Championship under Lennon, quite a few posters were (unjustifiably, IMO) slating him for being too cautious, even going as far as saying that the football was "eye bleedingly awful".

Now we've strolled a Europa League tie 12-5 on aggregate, it "simply isn't good enough".

I'm glad I've never inhabited either of those worlds.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Happy about losing 4? Never. Think the team is ready? Nope. Moaning about it, speculating on what is and isn't good enough? Nope. There's a team in place to deal with that. That team can see everything we do and are paid to do something about it. Maybe the managers on the board can volunteer their spare time to help with the recruitment negotiations as clearly what's required are opinionated amateurs as the professionals can't do what they expect quickly enough.
    Re the OP yip I enjoyed it. At 2-2 it was clearly one of those nights for Hibs and I've seen loads. I think we've scored more in out last 5 competitive games than our neighbours managed all last season. Bring on the Greeks

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Well said the feline one.

@hibs.net private member

In my opinion, getting worked up about something you have little to no control over is a waste of time.

How I see it;
    - We were honking in defence.

- Any time we defend like that we will lose goals.

- it was a great game of football which I thoroughly enjoyed!

I think this opinion is shared by many on here, and I don't in anyway see how that correlates to poor Scottish Club and country performances.

It's not very often teams score 12 goals over two legs in Europe against any level opposition. Let's not forget this is a side who drew with Fulham not that long ago. Wasn't a great performance yesterday with a makeshift defense but let's get things in perspective.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    In my opinion, getting worked up about something you have little to no control over is a waste of time.

How I see it;
    - We were honking in defence.

- Any time we defend like that we will lose goals.

- it was a great game of football which I thoroughly enjoyed!

I think this opinion is shared by many on here, and I don't in anyway see how that correlates to poor Scottish Club and country performances.
    I’ve seen that first sentence quite a few times on here recently. People do realise that’s a big part of football, don’t they? It’s exactly what you’re doing when you celebrate a goal, when you cried when Hibs won the cup, when you scream at a referee for a shocking decision or when you go home in a foul mood because Hibs have just lost a derby/cup final or whatever.. it’s kind of how being a football fan is. You’re emotionally (and financially) invested in it whether you have control or not.

The games a bogey if there’s no point in getting worked up about anything surely?