hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A series of factors lead to that performance, we've not become a terrible team just 7 days after being lauded for such a professional performace?!

- We were already through which meant that this game became about avoiding yellow cards and above all avoiding injury. Job Done.

- We were playing on a plastic pitch unknown to the players. Anyone who has played on a pitch like that after a career on grass knows how awkwardly the ball can play and how easy it is to injure yourself or mistime a tackle which explains a lot of the slightly apprehensive challenges from Hibs.

- The weather was absolutely shocking in the second half and coupled with the above two points made it even more difficult to manage the game.

This wasn't a normal game because we don't start games with a 5 goal advantage. We were able to take liberties to protect our players and taking those lead to what was a fun game! It would've been nice to see us close out the game with a nice 2-0 win but we didn't need to and protecting a lead could've cost us with suspensions or injury.

I've had some horrific times as a Hibs fan, that wasn't one of them. That was fun!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestEndHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A series of factors lead to that performance, we've not become a terrible team just 7 days after being lauded for such a professional performace?!

- We were already through which meant that this game became about avoiding yellow cards and above all avoiding injury. Job Done.

- We were playing on a plastic pitch unknown to the players. Anyone who has played on a pitch like that after a career on grass knows how awkwardly the ball can play and how easy it is to injure yourself or mistime a tackle which explains a lot of the slightly apprehensive challenges from Hibs.

- The weather was absolutely shocking in the second half and coupled with the above two points made it even more difficult to manage the game.

This wasn't a normal game because we don't start games with a 5 goal advantage. We were able to take liberties to protect our players and taking those lead to what was a fun game! It would've been nice to see us close out the game with a nice 2-0 win but we didn't need to and protecting a lead could've cost us with suspensions or injury.

I've had some horrific times as a Hibs fan, that wasn't one of them. That was fun!
    Totally agree. How anyone can claim to be embarrassed about a game we won, given some of the torture we've had to endure in our Hibs supporting lifetimes, is beyond me.

It was exactly what you'd want in a pre-season game, only in a competitive tie.

What would we have learned from piling in loads of goals and our defence not being tested?

I thought we played some decent stuff going forward so there are positives to build on.

Our defence got a decent test, so we know there's work to be done there.

No, I didn't really enjoy the chaotic defending, but I just love watching this Hibs team play, even if they're a work in progress right now. Not too long ago it was a chore at times watching us, so I'm not going to complain too heavily about scoring some cracking goals and progressing in a European competition.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Totally agree. How anyone can claim to be embarrassed about a game we won, given some of the torture we've had to endure in our Hibs supporting lifetimes, is beyond me.

Absolutely, these are the good times, although some folk seem to enjoy worrying about winning European games.

I have to laugh at folk who are bumping their gums about this player and that player, yet when we were getting rogered by Alloa and the likes, there was always an excuse.

Yet there are no excuses for last nights performance, with a makeshift team already through.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

What would we have learned from piling in loads of goals and our defence not being tested?

I thought we played some decent stuff going forward so there are positives to build on.

No, I didn't really enjoy the chaotic defending, but I just love watching this Hibs team play, even if they're a work in progress right now. Not too long ago it was a chore at times watching us, so I'm not going to complain too heavily about scoring some cracking goals and progressing in a European competition.
    Exactly. There are two ways that a club of our size can be successful - either be based around defensive solidity and give little away, and maybe edge out games by the odd goal; or be adventurous, take risks, and try and outscore the opposition; occasionally having a bit of a collapse, but more regularly winning games well and dishing out the odd doing. We definitely do the latter, and I'm all for it.

I can barely think of a game we played last season that we didn't dominate, and the points we dropped were usually down to us not taking chances, and being punished for the risks that we take. Two of our centre halfs probably get further forward than a lot of midfielders in other SPL teams. One of them, Paul Hanlon, can often be found overlapping and sometimes getting to the byeline.

Before we got relegated to the Championship we had many years of stultifying football, which even worse than being utterly soul destroying, wasn't even remotely successful for us. How anyone cannot have enthusiasm for the way we play, and the approach we take to almost any match, home or away, is beyond me. In the context of the pre-Championship years, and how well we are doing on the back of our style of play, it's astonishing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    You could say the same about the forwards though as without Kamberi who do we have? Shaw? Like most teams at our level it will make a big difference if you lose 2 or 3 key players.
    Yes it will, point I’m making is these players last night ( except Portoues ) are regular first team players in our defence. We will bring strikers in but will we bring in any defenders?

Our defence like it or not has conceded with the defenders we have at our disposal 3 against Killie, 5 against Rangers, 1 at home and 4 away by a park time team. I’m in no way slaying the team, I’m stating that as good as we have been at scoring we still leak goals.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Exactly.... speaking as something who was there last night it was maybe not a defensive masterclass but let’s remember that this was only our second competitive game of the season. Yes we can get better but there will be 5,6 or maybe 7 changes in personnel (in and out) before the season in Scotland starts. Watching Hibs in an absolutely beautiful location, except for the fog, was brilliant. Even better when you’re with your 78 year old Dad just about to celebrate 50 years of watching Hibs in Europe. In case you are wondering I think it was Hamburg away in 1968. We will be better in the next 2 games but we get to watch our wonderful club less frequently in Europe these days so enjoy it when it’s here and carry on supporting to make sure we get to do it all again next season.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Absolutely, these are the good times, although some folk seem to enjoy worrying about winning European games.

I have to laugh at folk who are bumping their gums about this player and that player, yet when we were getting rogered by Alloa and the likes, there was always an excuse.

Yet there are no excuses for last nights performance, with a makeshift team already through.

You've just reminded me of the last season in the championship where we had posters saying Lennon layed a boring negative style of football and they'd prefer Stubbs attacking style as its more suited to the top flight!

Can't remember who said it, not have I really any interest in poring over old threads go be honest, but they've certainly got their wish for exciting high scooting games these days....

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Pestered NL in the airport lounge after the game and he was in good fettle. Extremely happy with all the goals and admitted that they tried one or two things in defence that wouldn't be the norm.
    Signed my programme. Love the man to bits.

Scoring twelve goals over two games, even against a part-time team? Always good.

Conceding FIVE goals over two games against said team? Never acceptable.

If that's our back up defence when the domestic season starts, then we're in big trouble. Whittaker is not a defender, so please don't play him there again, ever!
    Last edited by Keith_M; 20-07-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Pestered NL in the airport lounge after the game and he was in good fettle. Extremely happy with all the goals and admitted that they tried one or two things in defence that wouldn't be the norm.
    Signed my programme. Love the man to bits.
    Had a chat with him in the departure lounge. Lovely man, very quiet last night and happy to speak to the fans and had a smile on his face. Efe is an absolute gentleman and was happy to have a blether with my Dad and signing programmes and having his photo taken. We have a great bunch of coaches and players just now unlike another team from across the city......